the farm horse ...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Andi

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So we are going to work our farm horse ...

Sounds cool and very "romantic" ... I mean grandpa done it ...

But can you ...

First you need a horse ... and the skill to work it.
Second you need the farm equipment for the horse and the land ...
Wow ... the price of the piece of junk they had in their yard... lol
Or you could be lucky and live near a Amish area.

My point ... it is never as easy as saying ... 'I'm going to work my horses on the farm "
Knowledge Is Key ... Just saying.

So we are going to work our farm horse ...

Sounds cool and very "romantic" ... I mean grandpa done it ...

But can you ...

First you need a horse ... and the skill to work it.
Second you need the farm equipment for the horse and the land ...
Wow ... the price of the piece of junk they had in their yard... lol
Or you could be lucky and live near a Amish area.

My point ... it is never as easy as saying ... 'I'm going to work my horses on the farm "
Knowledge Is Key ... Just saying.
We have several pieces of horse drawn equipment sitting safe at the family farm. Enough harness for 4 horse's and a pair of ponys. For me it's easy, but then again horses don't scare me. I will say anyone who thinks it is romantic has never done it.

I have a mare that failed miserably as a ranch horse. Trained her to pull my cart.
There nothing like driving under the tree covered country roads listened to the clip clop of hoof beats. Makes for a very long but nice trip to the store for a pop.
As far as farming with them, I’ll pass until we move somewhere it snows. Then we’ll probably have a team to pull a hay sled.
For now I’ll stick with my cart horse getaways to the store.

When we moved here in 1999, our plan was to be able to drive a horse and buggy (we had a 1898 doctor's buggy) to town. We are in an area that we could have done that. We did get the horses but never worked on training them for that. Frankly, this place was so much work that my husband just didn't have the time. He earned extra money by training other people's horses for riding or horses that were unable to be ridden. But never time for our own. He figured he could ride them trained or not. So he never got around to training them to drive. Now I look at them and think I'd have never gotten on the buggy with them driving. Too spirited for me. I am such a sissy I admit!

Ground driving was always part of our horses training when starting them. So for us it was a pretty easy transition to driving a cart.
I always found it useful for pulling dead stock etc (before we had a quad or tractor) to have my horses drive-able.
Of course the first time I took a friend for a store trip my mare who was green at pulling the carts at the time decided to go 4 wheeling and I’m pretty sure my friend needed to change when we got back on the road. She got the cart stuck in the road ditch going up the bank. Couldn’t back up so had to keep going to turn around. I was laughing so hard I probably was close to needing to change as well.
You know that mare has never tried that since.... hmmmm Imagine That! :LOL:

One of my geldings has gone stupid ! He is acting like a stallion. :eek:

He has been around mares all along, then all of a sudden. ~Thinking like A Stallion ~

Back to the basics with him. He is starting to see the error of his way. lol

My oldest brother has a couple of teams that he uses on his farm, mostly for chores. He really enjoys them, and he really knows what he is doing, he still has some trouble once in a while, One of his favorite saying when people act like driving a team is," yeah, My Belgians can pull a wagon with their mouth" meaning if they decide to have a run away, pulling on the reins is just a way to make your arms tired.
I talked to him this morning, he said he was going to skid some poplar (aspen) in, then I learned something new, he said he leaves the logs in the horse paddock and lets them eat the bark, he says it is great horse feed, and he is picky about what his horses eat.
I also thought man have I got a S*** load of horse feed. Now I am wondering how it would work for hog feed:popcorn:

Back