The FDA Knew the Bottled Water Was Contaminated. The Public Didn't

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Am I over the top about my concerns? The people who are supposed to protect us don't seem to do their jobs.

I used to always have a case of bottled water in the trunk of my car, especially in the summer months and extra cases stored. Parked in the garage, the water didn't get hot in the trunk. Then my daughter took a class that included drinking water safety. Since then, she wants nothing in plastic, especially water and beverages, and has had a Berkey to purify her water before drinking it. She gave me a Berkey so that my water would be purified.

The ease of buying and storing water in plastic bottles is real, but so is the litter of plastic water bottles everywhere in the world. I do have water stored in plastic 5 gallon jugs, and keep a few 1 gallon jugs for the dog parks. What are other options for storing a decent amount of water?

I also keep some water stored in canning jars. Canning jars are heavy and they can break, especially when filled with water. It is not as easy for a family to keep water ready to go and to use it on the go in canning jars. There are places (parks, etc.) where you can take plastic bottles and containers, but no glass.

A former student did research about plastic bottles and drinking water. The result was that he thinks everyone could have metal drinking bottles. As a child, he decided that in order for it to work, he would take it upon himself to make sure that everyone's water bottles were filled and ready to go every morning. I have one that is my daily water bottle and a few in my BOB bags etc.

https://www.consumerreports.org/bot...NaPvZI37jft4m1RiC_ErJy2uJdg2dyhfLkAqluNix4rik

The FDA Knew the Bottled Water Was Contaminated. The Public Didn't.

FDA inspectors have found some companies failed quality standards for bottled water, but the agency didn't take significant action.
By Ryan Felton
November 21, 2019

The government’s May 2018 report on Sweet Springs Valley Water Company, a bottled water manufacturer in West Virginia, was alarming. An inspector from the Food and Drug Administration, during a review of Sweet Springs’ test records, found that several months earlier the company had bottled and distributed water from a source contaminated with E. coli, a potentially deadly bacteria.

When E. coli is detected in source water, companies must cease bottling until they produce five E. coli-free samples over a 24-hour period, according to the FDA, which regulates bottled water in the U.S. But according to the 47-page report—which details numerous other issues and was obtained by Consumer Reports through a Freedom of Information Act request—the company had not stopped production. Nor had it conducted any follow-up tests of the source water.

The inspector asked Sweet Springs’ manager, Mable Cox, whether she had considered recalling the bottled water, the report says. Cox had not. “She also stated the water had probably been consumed by this point, but she would conduct a recall” to alert people who might still have the water at home “if the FDA wanted her to.” That didn’t happen, either.

“FDA did not request a recall,” Amanda Turney, an agency spokesperson, said in an email, without explaining why. Asked about the incident, Cox told CR that, after the inspection, she sent a driver to check stores, but there wasn’t any product left on shelves and she never notified consumers about the problem.

Most bottled water on the market appears to be safe. But the case of Sweet Springs isn’t an anomaly, according to a CR review of hundreds of pages of inspection records and interviews with regulators in seven states. Over the past decade, the FDA has cited companies at least 14 times for failing to meet federal quality standards for bottled water, but in most of those cases, the agency didn’t force a recall of products that might not yet have been consumed. For those products that weren’t recalled, bottlers also don’t appear to have informed consumers about test results showing excessive contamination—something that public water supplies have to do for the same sort of violations.

In other words, contaminated bottled water can still reach unwitting consumers, even if the FDA knows about the problem.

“Companies should not be selling contaminated bottled water, so whenever their own testing finds a violation, they should recall that water,” says Michael Hansen, Ph.D., a senior staff scientist at CR. “If they fail to do so voluntarily, the FDA should require them to.”

Self-Policing
Many consumers buy bottled water on the assumption that it’s safer than what flows out of their tap. That has helped fuel the growth of the bottled water industry, which reached $31 billion in sales in 2018. Forty percent of Americans believe bottled water is safer than tap, a recent CR nationally representative survey found, and about 1 in 6 don’t drink their home tap water.

But the bottled water industry is by and large self-policing. While the FDA requires bottled water to be free of E. coli and sets limits for numerous other contaminants, the agency generally doesn’t test the water itself. Instead, it relies on bottlers to periodically conduct their own tests and to keep those records on hand for FDA inspectors when they visit.

more

FDA inspections of bottled water facilities, though, declined by 33 percent between 2008 and 2018, according to data provided by the agency, and several years can pass between visits—meaning, as with Sweet Springs, the FDA might not become aware of contamination until long after it happened. Even when tests show contamination, in most cases manufacturers don’t have to stop bottling or alert the public—for instance, by issuing a press release.

Instead, before tests are reviewed by government inspectors, the FDA’s only apparent mechanism for alerting consumers is by requiring bottlers to put a statement of substandard quality on the label—saying, for example, “Contains Excessive Arsenic.” It’s illegal to sell contaminated products that lack this kind of labeling. But, perhaps for obvious reasons, the FDA could not point to a single example of a company ever complying.

The industry and the FDA say that numerous safeguards are in place to keep harmful products from being consumed.

The FDA has authority to issue mandatory recalls, but, Turney said, “the level of risk posed by these hazards” in many of the products CR identified don’t meet the required threshold. When the FDA learns that a product is contaminated, Turney said, it evaluates the information on a case-by-case basis to determine “the potential public health concern, and whether to take further action.” And, she said, companies must inform the agency within 24 hours when they detect a contaminant that will “cause serious adverse health consequences or deaths.”

Jill Culora, vice president of communications for the International Bottled Water Association, an industry group, said bottled water that does not meet federal regulations is subject to FDA enforcement actions, including recalls, warning letters, and product seizures, which help “ensure” that adulterated products don’t reach consumers. Asked about the incidents CR identified, she said, “It’s IBWA’s position that any bottled water product that doesn’t meet the FDA’s standard of quality for a regulated substance should not be allowed to be sold.”

But water quality researchers say the government’s regulation of bottled water can easily leave the public in the dark about contamination issues.

Erik Olson, senior director for health and food at the Natural Resources Defense Council, who authored a major study on bottled water quality (PDF), describes the bottled water regulatory scheme as a “paper tiger” with “extremely poor” disclosure requirements. “Even where disclosure is required,” he said, “it appears it’s rarely, if ever, done.”

Am I over the top about my concerns?
Many consumers buy bottled water on the assumption that it’s safer than what flows out of their tap. That has helped fuel the growth of the bottled water industry, which reached $31 billion in sales in 2018. Forty percent of Americans believe bottled water is safer than tap, a recent CR nationally representative survey found, and about 1 in 6 don’t drink their home tap water. But the bottled water industry is by and large self-policing.
AND that's why I don't drink bottled water, only beerdrink buddy.
Beer is pasteurized because it's temp is raised above 160°F during processing, killing any microorganisms in it.

Ok, I do also drink filtered water from the local municipal supply which is tested daily and has never failed a single test.
The results are published monthly.
If they want bottled water to be safe, all they have to do is require it to be pasteurized, like milk.:rolleyes:
...and beer:D.
Didgey-Didgey!
20190905_budKnightPlatinum_3x2.jpg

(also contains 6% alcohol to instantly disinfect any glass you pour it into:D)

Last edited:
Additional info....for all the snooty people with 'good taste':rolleyes: if they look at the label on their 'designer' bottled water they will find they're drinking stuff shipped into the USA that the FDA never even had a chance to check AT ALL:eek:.

This is why we have a serious water filtration system in our home with a secondary filter in our refrigerator. The same is true for my police department where all 3 break rooms have water filtration systems. When I do find myself in a position to purchase bottled water I stick with brand names that are bottle locally. While that is not fool proof, it puts the odds heavily in my favor.

As far as beer goes, I would rather drink water from the Sweet Spring Valley Water Co.

Additional info....for all the snooty people with 'good taste':rolleyes: if they look at the label on their 'designer' bottled water they will find they're drinking stuff shipped into the USA that the FDA never even had a chance to check AT ALL:eek:.
There was a story that Deep Rock, a Colorado water bottler, accessed their water from the tap. Their water was Denver water, the same as if you turned on your faucet. For me, the only reason that I would want the water would be if I was in a situation where I had no other access to water, such as a mountain off grid cabin or to acquire their water jugs for water storage.

There was a story that Deep Rock, a Colorado water bottler, accessed their water from the tap. Their water was Denver water, the same as if you turned on your faucet. For me, the only reason that I would want the water would be if I was in a situation where I had no other access to water, such as a mountain off grid cabin or to acquire their water jugs for water storage.
Here you go, blowing the top off of bottled water hype.gaah
The vast majority of domestic bottled water comes from municipal sources (ie: city-water).
This way the bottler can skip all of the safety testing because the work has already been done for them.
They only have to keep track of what they add for 'taste'.
Only the companies too cheap to buy cheap, safe, water put the consumer at risk.
We taxpayers pay lots to have all of our domestic water sources tested and safe.
Flint Michigan made it only about 3 feet before they shut it down cold. Testing works.

...And yet people everyday pay a premium price to buy untested water shipped in from some far away place like, Mount Fuji.:rolleyes:
Baffling:eek:.

We have a well and I get the water tested. Our water is very hard so we have a water softener. I'm not concerned about the well water being unsafe to drink.
We were buying bottles of water from Costco fairly cheap but I just got tired of buying something I can get almost free. We bought 10 empty bottles from Walmart and I fill them from the filtered water in the refrigerator.
I can also buy water from the ice house in town for 25 cents a gallon.
Have you heard about people buying raw water?
https://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valleys-raw-water-trend-could-turn-deadly-2018-1

According to The Times, demand for unfiltered water is skyrocketing as tech-industry insiders develop a taste for water that hasn't been treated, to prevent the spread of bacteria or other contaminants.

In San Francisco, "unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water" is selling for as much as $60.99 for a 2.5-gallon jug. Startups dedicated to untreated water are popping up. People — including startup Juicero's cofounder Doug Evans — are gathering gallons of untreated water from natural springs to bring to Burning Man.

We have a well and I get the water tested. Our water is very hard so we have a water softener. I'm not concerned about the well water being unsafe to drink.
We were buying bottles of water from Costco fairly cheap but I just got tired of buying something I can get almost free. We bought 10 empty bottles from Walmart and I fill them from the filtered water in the refrigerator.
I can also buy water from the ice house in town for 25 cents a gallon.
https://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valleys-raw-water-trend-could-turn-deadly-2018-1

According to The Times, demand for unfiltered water is skyrocketing as tech-industry insiders develop a taste for water that hasn't been treated, to prevent the spread of bacteria or other contaminants.

In San Francisco, "unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water" is selling for as much as $60.99 for a 2.5-gallon jug. Startups dedicated to untreated water are popping up. People — including startup Juicero's cofounder Doug Evans — are gathering gallons of untreated water from natural springs to bring to Burning Man.
Seems a little risky to me. Maybe that is how some people think of raw milk?

Unbelievable!
To pay $24 for a gallon of unsafe water to drink is brain-dead when we are surrounded by copious sources of safe water, that we have already PAID FOR!
People that stupid need to see just what kind of misery e.coli can bring to you.
I grew up drinking all-natural artesian well water. It tasted fantastic! No chlorine!
I guess we were so blessed and didn't even know it.:rolleyes:
The only problem, no flouride:eek:.
Forgot about that, didja?:oops:
By the time we hit 17, we had enough fillings in our teeth to set off a metal-detector.:mad:
And I can tell you why the phrase 'toothless redneck' is not a baseless euphemism:(.
Another 10 years on it and I would have had only 3 teeth left.....like everybody else:confused:.

Unbelievable!
To pay $24 for a gallon of unsafe water to drink is brain-dead when we are surrounded by copious sources of safe water, that we have already PAID FOR!

You did read the San Francisco part right?

Unbelievable!
People that stupid need to see just what kind of misery e.coli can bring to you.
I grew up drinking all-natural artesian well water. It tasted fantastic! No chlorine!
I guess we were so blessed and didn't even know it.:rolleyes:
The only problem, no flouride:eek:.
Forgot about that, didja?:oops:
By the time we hit 17, we had enough fillings in our teeth to set off a metal-detector.:mad:
And I can tell you why the phrase 'toothless redneck' is not a baseless euphemism:(.
Another 10 years on it and I would have had only 3 teeth left.....like everybody else:confused:.
You have been sold on fluoride? Not me. I do not believe that we need fluoride to have better teeth. Fluoride is toxic. People who process it wear special suits to protect themselves. What really affects our teeth, IMHO, is diet. Sugar is what really causes cavities. We live in a culture that consumes too many carbs which convert to sugar. Dentist Dr. Weston Price researched why some of his patients had no cavities while others had mouths full.

Fluoride is for LFTR reactors not for water. Liquid fluoride thorium reactors... the only "walk away safe" reactors.

You have been sold on fluoride? Not me. I do not believe that we need fluoride to have better teeth. Fluoride is toxic. People who process it wear special suits to protect themselves. What really affects our teeth, IMHO, is diet. Sugar is what really causes cavities. We live in a culture that consumes too many carbs which convert to sugar. Dentist Dr. Weston Price researched why some of his patients had no cavities while others had mouths full.
No I can't go back and do it over.
We went to school with 'city-kids'.
They had maybe 1 or maybe 2 fillings when we had 8+.
Yeah, fluoride don't make no difference to nobodyo_O. See all your country friends missing half their teeth by the time they are 30 and the 'city-folk' all grinning with beautiful white smiles.
Nobody has to 'sell' you on fluoride.
It's 'staring you in the face' obvious.
biggrin-1.gif
And that dentist is probably about as valid as the "If I get my kid vaccinated, he'll get ADHD" people:eek:.
Of course fluoride is toxic, so is chlorine, but with just a tiny trace of chlorine in our water, nobody dies. But the e.coli dies, typhoid dies, cholera dies,
Cryptosporidium too, and salmonella,
and too many more Waterborne Pathogens than I can name in this post.
To go back to the 'stupid-times' is stupid, squared.
go crazy.gif

(on topic: drinking untreated water in this country, in this century = stupid)

Last edited:
Fluoride is for LFTR reactors not for water. Liquid fluoride thorium reactors... the only "walk away safe" reactors.
Did you know that you can legally buy radioactive thorium in almost every city in the US? It's not expensive either.
Ideal for testing your low-level radiation detector:).

No I can't go back and do it over.
We went to school with 'city-kids'.
They had maybe 1 or maybe 2 fillings when we had 8+.
Yeah, fluoride don't make no difference to nobodyo_O. See all your country friends missing half their teeth by the time they are 30 and the 'city-folk' all grinning with beautiful white smiles.
Nobody has to 'sell' you on fluoride.
It's 'staring you in the face' obvious.View attachment 30073And that dentist is probably about as valid as the "If I get my kid vaccinated, he'll get ADHD" people:eek:.
Of course fluoride is toxic, so is chlorine, but with just a tiny trace of chlorine in our water, nobody dies. But the e.coli dies, typhoid dies, cholera dies,
Cryptosporidium too, and salmonella,
and too many more Waterborne Pathogens than I can name in this post.
To go back to the 'stupid-times' is stupid, squared.View attachment 30072
(on topic: drinking untreated water in this country, in this century = stupid)
When did adding fluoride to municipal water become a thing? I grew up drinking well water and my family had good teeth. My mother's family did not, and they drank some of the same well water. Nutrition is a big part of it.

Last edited:
I grew up on well water. No flouride. I've had 1 cavity and 1 tooth pulled because I got kicked in the face and it cracked it. Other than that, and my 2 wisdom teeth, I have my own natural full set. As do my sisters.

When did adding fluoride to municipal water become a thing. I grew up drinking well water and my family had good teeth. My mother's family did not, and they drank some of the same well water. Nutrition is a big part of it.
"Its use began in 1945, following studies of children in a region where higher levels of fluoride occur naturally in the water.[33] Further research showed that moderate fluoridation prevents tooth decay.....The goal of water fluoridation is to prevent a chronic disease whose burdens particularly fall on children and the poor.[24] Another of the goals was to bridge inequalities in dental health and dental care". Some studies suggest that fluoridation reduces oral health inequalities between the rich and poor, but the evidence is limited.[3] There is anecdotal but not scientific evidence that fluoride allows more time for dental treatment by slowing the progression of tooth decay, and that it simplifies treatment by causing most cavities to occur in pits and fissures of teeth" Once a cavity occurs, the tooth's fate is that of repeated restorations, with estimates for the median life of an amalgam tooth filling ranging from 9 to 14 years."
Dental_caries.jpg

@Terri9630 Many wells have naturally occurring fluoride. That's how it was discovered. Other wells have none, zip, zero, nada.

Last edited:
Just for @Weedygarden, too much fluoride can be a bad thing.
Fortunately it rarely happens.
One time when it did was when Mount Vesuvius buried Pompeii.
After it erupted, people still lived in the area for hundreds of years.
The volcanic ash (which was high in fluoride) polluted all of the water sources in the area for miles. Excessive fluoride is tasteless.
While archeologists were digging down to get to the ones buried during the eruption, they had to dig down thru the ones that lived afterwards.
With excessive amounts of fluoride in their water, the effects were startling. Every skeleton showed evidence of progressive bone and joint disease from the highly elevated levels of fluoride in their drinking water.
The one startling thing they noticed was, every skeleton they exhumed had a full set of immaculate, perfect, white teeth in the skull.:eek:
This is never seen in skeletons of people that died of old age.
biggrin.gif

And now back to bottled water:rolleyes:.

Latest posts

Back