The Flu

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that are suffering with migraines I had a conversation with a doctor who recommends ginger water.
You can do a search with "migraines and ginger" to find how to use it.
There have been double blind tests that show it is more effective than Imitrex (sumatriptan) with no side effects.

Back to the topic at hand... "The Flu"

I did some reading last night searching for mushroom flu fighters... I didn't find a single reference in my books but the list of herbs for the flu was around 40.

I always take anything I find on the net with a big grain of salt but found this page interesting... It was written in 2018 so it's not a thrown together website cashing in on Corona fears. Might be worth a little investigation into the listed mushrooms.

https://plantmedicines.org/medicinal-mushrooms-proven-to-help-fight-influenza/
Maybe some of you who have studied mushrooms can speak to it.

The one from the list that caught my eye was Trametes versicolor (also called Turkey Tail). I learned it as a cancer fighting weapon. At least that is what I wrote in my notes, I could have left off its flu fighting capabilities. It was raining the day I learned it and I was scribbling notes as fast as I could.

Also of note... "Japan’s Shinshu University found that oyster mushroom mycelia accumulate a substance called shikimic acid". Shikimic acid is the base chemical used to make Tamiflu. Sweetgum trees ((Liquidambar styraciflua), also contain Shikimic acid.

Last edited:
For those of you that are suffering with migraines I had a conversation with a doctor who recommends ginger water.
You can do a search with "migraines and ginger" to find how to use it.
There have been double blind tests that show it is more effective than Imitrex (sumatriptan) with no side effects.

SheepD I hear it is also good for stomach problems,my friend eats it everyday who had stoamch pain that nothing else helped then she read about ginger ans now swears by it.

I've had the flu twice in past 50 years and both times I thought it would kill me. I don't get it often but when I do its really bad.

@georgia I do not know of Dr. Nicloe Apelian, have not met her, nor have I read her book.

In answer to your question... I can not give an honest opinion, either positive or negative.

I concentrate on Appalachain folk medicine... more information than I'll be able to digest in the years left to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back