The Flu

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Since it seems to be going around with a vengeance this year I thought I’d include how I treat it…

Elder flower tincture, it prevents a virus from replicating. I needed it Saturday but was to sick to find it until today.

Another one I was to sick to find Saturday... Boneset tincture, no, it doesn’t set bones… If you have a fever so high it feels like your bones are breaking. Boneset will lower the fever when nothing else will.

I had to call the sage of lookout Mtn tonight. I had made tincture a few years ago but lost(couldn't find) the instructions. Boneset works best as a tea, but I had tincture. The sage knew a trick (as always). Mix a quarter cup of tincture in a quart of water, apply heat and reduce by half… you then have boneset tea! (this only applies to boneset tincture)

Antivirals – poke sallet, usnea, yellowroot and sweet leaf (sweet leaf also dissipates fever). All of these are excellent antivirals.

Sorry if I’m not clear or coherent, I have a bad case of the flu! :(

boneset sm.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome, I forgot about boneset.
The post I made to Bacpacker on what's everybody doing today about the teas...I always used elderberry tea in my big pot of tea also; again, mine came from a package since I didn't have access to fresh, homegrown or harvesting it myself.
You did good, @Peanut !!! Even if you are sick. I've used usnea also. Get better soon.:coffee:

I need to get some elderberries and make some. I heard about a woman I know who was coughing so hard she broke a rib. The broken rib punctured her lung. Evidently she has been in the hospital for a few days. She had 4 drainage tubes at first and is down to one now. I am concerned about her because I don't think she has health insurance.

The worst part of a really bad flu… Is when you lose the remote and are to sick to find it. 48hrs my tv was on the same channel and it wasn’t even a good channel, mostly commericals. :( I will add that after 48hrs I have some really creative suggestions for what Jimmy Dean can do with his sausage biscuits… :rolleyes:

I need to get some elderberries and make some. I heard about a woman I know who was coughing so hard she broke a rib. The broken rib punctured her lung. Evidently she has been in the hospital for a few days. She had 4 drainage tubes at first and is down to one now. I am concerned about her because I don't think she has health insurance.

You can buy elderberry syrup at Walgreens. It is expensive, but the stores near us stock it. We have had two friends that have gotten the flu. Seems like it is a mongrel strain that will really knock your hat in the creek. They were both bed ridden and very sick for nearly two weeks.

My go-to's are massive amounts of Vitamin C, and honey and cinnamon.

The worst part of a really bad flu… Is when you lose the remote and are to sick to find it. 48hrs my tv was on the same channel and it wasn’t even a good channel, mostly commericals. :( I will add that after 48hrs I have some really creative suggestions for what Jimmy Dean can do with his sausage biscuits… :rolleyes:
ROFL! Thanks for this! We all need a really good laugh everyday!

But hopefully, you are feeling better!

Far be it from me to ever give a nod to a product instead of a natural plant... I've never tried it but people I trust in the herb world recommend it... Sambucol... Wally, CVS, Walgreens... they all sell it. If you can't acquire your own elderberry (Sambucus nigra). This works for a lot of people.

sambucol sm.jpeg

Last edited:
Elder pretty much grows itself. I cleaned off and removed an old fence and found elderberry I didn’t know I had. That year the county bush hogged the right of way of a gravel road. The next spring hundreds of elderberry sprouts came up.

I harvested a dozen and set them out. I went over in the pasture and scooped up a ton of cow manure and spread it out. 2 years later I have all the elderberry I will ever need for medicine. If you have space, a fence around a small yard… You can order elderberry sprouts from online nurseries… It’s that simple.

Elder (1).jpg
Elder (2).jpg
Elder (3).jpg
Elder (4).jpg

I will add that after 48hrs I have some really creative suggestions for what Jimmy Dean can do with his sausage biscuits… :rolleyes:
:LOL:

If you folks are talking about influenza, and not about rhinoviruses, I have never come down with it. I also get the vaccination every fall. If you are talking about rhinoviruses, those bastards mutate too fast for the medicos to keep up with anyway, so whatever you find that helps you fight - go for it. I get 'colds' seldom nowadays, but I think that's because of "involuntary absence of intimacy" (not to be confused with loneliness).

Far be it from me to ever give a nod to a product instead of a natural plant... I've never tried it but people I trust in the herb world recommend it... Sambucol... Wally, CVS, Walgreens... they all sell it. If you can't acquire your own elderberry (Sambucus nigra). This works for a lot of people.

View attachment 32899
My wife is tossing a Sambucol gummy down all of us daily.
We've also all had our flu-shots weeks ago:).
We're about as prepped as we can be.:good luck:

The flu marches on... It took 24hrs and two doses for the Boneset to work. Late afternoon yesterday I was still running a fever of around 102. I fell asleep in my recliner, woke up a couple hours later soaking wet, I was drenched, even my blanket. My fever was just over 100.

Today my fever spiked about 101. Another round of herbs and it was 100.1 a couple hrs later. Maybe I shouldn't have but drove to the store for milk, bread, yogurt and a mess of fruit, I still need oranges and a couple of other items.

I really need 24hrs with out fever. My mom and my niece now have the flu, not one of us is allowed in the ICU to stay with dad. :(

I've never had the flu shot and am not likely to. I'd gone about 7 years without getting sick and I caught that mess right before Christmas. Rest, water, elderberry, vit. C, zinc, bone broth. My opinion- it's giving your body the things it needs to fight back. Sugars weaken the immune system.
Also, I've made tons of elderberry jelly but I've never made my own tincture from it.

View attachment 32899

Peanut, there are several different Sambucol products. The one you mentioned is the homeopathic version...

The homeopathic preparation contains microscopic amounts of elderberry and several other things that are diluted so much that it almost cannot be detected. Click onto the image to see what all is in it. Not everyone gets good results with it.

https://sambucolusa.com/products/sambucol-cold-flu-symptom-relief-homeopathic-remedy
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...d_Flu_Tablets_30_ct_07_1000x.jpg?v=1571420836

Then there is the wonderful Sambucol elderberry syrup which is made from whole elderberries and has had proven great results backed by wide use and also many clinical and university studies:

https://sambucolusa.com/products/sambucol®-original-liquid-extract-7-8-fl-oz-230-ml

It works similar to the same mechanism as Tamiflu to keep the virus from multiplying. The secret to using elderberry for this purpose is to take it at the very first hint of the flu, as early as you can manage it.

Elderflower works differently than the berries, but it is wonderful for treating swollen sinuses (sinusitis), and symptoms of colds, flu, and bronchitis. It is also used as a diuretic and to increase sweating to help break fevers, so be sure to drink adequate water to help prevent dehydration.

Last edited:
Peanut! Your soil is like black gold!!!!! Elderberry bushes galore.... I would be in botanical bliss!

I am slap OUT of Boneset! Yes indeed, that stuff is fantastic.

I hope you and yours get to feeling better soon! I am hearing that the strain going around is so, so wicked. :(

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea there was more than one product. I've never used it.

I've never bothered with making elder syrup. I make tincture from the blooms to stop virus replication. I have several other plants that treat the various symptoms better than elder. But, if elder was all I had I'd get the liquid extract at the store.

I let my self get run down. I have CFS... I'd been taking care of dad since early novermber. On 05jan I had to take dad to the ICU. I was with him around the clock, sleeping in a chair not designed to sleep in, eating crappy hospital food, feeding him, up all through the night... I was worn out. My energy reserves were all used up... This flu hit me like a ton of bricks.

I've never had the flu shot and am not likely to. I'd gone about 7 years without getting sick and I caught that mess right before Christmas. Rest, water, elderberry, vit. C, zinc, bone broth. My opinion- it's giving your body the things it needs to fight back. Sugars weaken the immune system.
Also, I've made tons of elderberry jelly but I've never made my own tincture from it.

:doghouse: I haven't had the flu in many years, please don't hurt me, I also haven't gotten the flu shot ever.

I had a flu shot in 1984 and itwas my laast one so far. Yet all the peopel I know get one every year. Hubby won't take one either,he said all the people at his job that got the shot got sick anyay.

I woke up without fever for the first time today. I didn't run a fever until about 3pm. Feeling better, still hitting my tinctures, added another, some yellowroot tincture I made on 28oct so it was ready. I think there is a stomach factor in this particular flu bug. Yellowroot will kick it's butt if so plus add to the other anitvirals I'm already taking.

Can a person "Over Dose" on Black Elderberry syrup.....??? Serious question.

Can a person "Over Dose" on Black Elderberry syrup.....??? Serious question.

Yes, elderberry is both a miracle cure and toxic. Some parts of the plant contain a substance that gives off cyanide. I don't remember if it's the liver or the kidneys that can be damaged from over use but the benefits when used correctly are astounding. Here are several articles that have good info.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/elderberry
http://www.juicebenefits.net/elderberry/elderberry-juice-side-effects-can-you-drink-too-much-of-it
https://www.rxlist.com/elderberry/supplements.htm

@Caribou Considered king of the mushrooms, chaga is a beneficial mushroomy type thing (for those who don't know)but shouldn't be used if you have diabetes, it can can cause bleeding, and shouldn't be used if you have R.A., Lupus, or M.S. I've never used it, none of my family has ever used it. It is supposedly helpful with immune system and cancer but personally I wouldn't use it because I dont know that much about it.
You could check this website CHAGA: King of the medicinal mushrooms | The Mindful Word
"Chaga is a remarkable medicinal mushroom that grows in living trees. It grows most abundantly in nearly all species of birch found in the circumpolar temperate forests of Earth’s northern hemisphere. As a food-herb and nutriment, chaga is a premier herbal adaptogen (a metabolic regulator that increases an organism’s ability to adapt to environmental factors and resist stress), cancer fighter, immune-system modulator, anti-tumour agent, gastrointestinal (digestive) tonifier, longevity tonic, and a genoprotective (DNA-shielding) agent."

Now that I have read about it, I might consider it for strengthening the immune system since I don't have any disqualifying health problems. But that's just me.

I sought to learn herbs first... A higher percentage of herbs are medicinal in the herb family than the percentage of mushrooms in the mushroom family. I had mushroom hunting set up for this winter but the wacky weather has messed up all my plans so far. Fingers crossed I'll get to go on at least one mushroom hunt before spring.

But yes, any one of the 200 species of adaptagens around the world would be helpful with the flu but not in the sense they are antiviral or antibiotic. They make your body stronger to fight off or recover from any stressor. Stressor... a gun shot wound, bad burn, pneumonia, broken bone and the flu...

One of the best books on adaptogens... “Adaptogens” by David Winston, it’s little understood even by many herbalists how important this class of plants are to maintaining strength and health or regaining it after major injury or illness.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/

Back