The Future Of Farming

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joel I didn't put this thread up to agrevate or even promote hydroponics although we did enjoy the menthed when we used it. I am sure there are ways to raise farm animals sustainably. I just thought it was interesting and may be interesting..Guess I was wrong.:dunno:

It's still a great way to produce food, and you can still grow in soil too. 👍

1616888434708.png

Meer, have you grown duckweed? I have never heard of that before.

I attempted to grow it once but it was really hot plus we were really busy working on greenhouse and so no luck.This was about 10 years ago.We wanted to grow it for our hens and fish.

https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Duckweed
Duckweed is an aquatic plant that is commonly found in lakes, forming what seems to be a green blanket over the water. Easily grown, it is a natural food for many animals and keeps mosquitoes from breeding on the water. If you would like to grow some for a science project, animal feed, or for fun, you can grow it indoors or outside in a pond.

No,
Joel I didn't put this thread up to agrevate or even promote hydroponics although we did enjoy the menthed when we used it. I am sure there are ways to raise farm animals sustainably. I just thought it was interesting and may be interesting..Guess I was wrong.:dunno:

No, you are right, I agree that there is many ways to grow crops.
Hydroponics, Aquaponics, vertically, raised beds, containers, interplanting.
My post was not to say all other ways was wrong, but to cofirm that there is more than one way to grow plants & animals.
The only reason I do not use hydroponics is that I have a large garden & drip watering system. I have looked into growing fish, but it is costly to do in tanks or a pond. If I sounded like I was disagreeing with you. I am sorry.

No,

No, you are right, I agree that there is many ways to grow crops.
Hydroponics, Aquaponics, vertically, raised beds, containers, interplanting.
My post was not to say all other ways was wrong, but to cofirm that there is more than one way to grow plants & animals.
The only reason I do not use hydroponics is that I have a large garden & drip watering system. I have looked into growing fish, but it is costly to do in tanks or a pond. If I sounded like I was disagreeing with you. I am sorry.

Joel no need to be sorry, you were debating.:thumbs:Reply wasn't meant for you.

Joel I didn't put this thread up to agrevate or even promote hydroponics although we did enjoy the method when we used it. I am sure there are ways to raise farm animals sustainably. I just thought it was interesting and may be interesting..Guess I was wrong.:dunno:
Nothing wrong with bringing up alternatives. Opinions are what make the world go 'round. I brought up vertical farming a couples years ago (at the old site I think), and got laughed out of the room. Everybody was certain that a new system will never be viable because it doesn't work for everything right now. If we just stuck to the old ways all the time we'd still be a nomadic species following animal herds across the plains and foraging for berries.

Personally I'm looking at this as the future of table-top produce on a global scale. Just because it isn't ideal (or possible) for grains doesn't mean we can't use it for almost everything else. I'm sure the people in drought stricken parts of Africa wouldn't have their feelings hurt having year-round fresh fruit just because they couldn't grow grains by the same method. All the complaints about water toxicity and harmful chemicals also applies to traditional commercial farming. Looking back through history, some of the biggest health problems are attributed to water pollution from farming, notably livestock. Even today in the US it seems like there's at least one recall on lettuce over E-coli every year. It's just going to get worse with time as the developed land continues to encroach on agricultural land.

Nothing wrong with bringing up alternatives. Opinions are what make the world go 'round. I brought up vertical farming a couples years ago (at the old site I think), and got laughed out of the room. Everybody was certain that a new system will never be viable because it doesn't work for everything right now. If we just stuck to the old ways all the time we'd still be a nomadic species following animal herds across the plains and foraging for berries.

Personally I'm looking at this as the future of table-top produce on a global scale. Just because it isn't ideal (or possible) for grains doesn't mean we can't use it for almost everything else. I'm sure the people in drought stricken parts of Africa wouldn't have their feelings hurt having year-round fresh fruit just because they couldn't grow grains by the same method. All the complaints about water toxicity and harmful chemicals also applies to traditional commercial farming. Looking back through history, some of the biggest health problems are attributed to water pollution from farming, notably livestock. Even today in the US it seems like there's at least one recall on lettuce over E-coli every year. It's just going to get worse with time as the developed land continues to encroach on agricultural land.

I'm all for alternatives why I put up the thread,there is more to it than meets the eye. Thank you for your comments Hippo. :I agree::thumbs:

Where do you buy duckweed seeds or live plants? I did see the video said he got his off ebay but it stunk, etc. any better sources? Would like to try for my chickens.
I was going to try to use our pond for growing lettuce. I seen where you can poke a hole in something that floats and use the baskets and rock wool for the seed/plant. Hubby reminded me it could float around with a snake on it, 🥴 changed my mind

HippoTwilight
vertical gardening is a newer ideal, but I never thought it was strange, we had running beans & tomatoes staked. Cattle panel & hoop house type vegetable vertical was not something we thought of, but the first time I saw many kinds of gourds hanging down I thought it was really cool concept.

HippoTwilight
vertical gardening is a newer ideal, but I never thought it was strange, we had running beans & tomatoes staked. Cattle panel & hoop house type vegetable vertical was not something we thought of, but the first time I saw many kinds of gourds hanging down I thought it was really cool concept.

Thats not only productive but uts also beautiful.:great:

Where do you buy duckweed seeds or live plants? I did see the video said he got his off ebay but it stunk, etc. any better sources? Would like to try for my chickens.
I was going to try to use our pond for growing lettuce. I seen where you can poke a hole in something that floats and use the baskets and rock wool for the seed/plant. Hubby reminded me it could float around with a snake on it, 🥴 changed my mind

I'll see if I can find out for you,we ordered ours in the mail but it was several years ago so I forgot.

This is first one to come up on search.

Amazon.com

1617034507831.png

https://www.ebay.com/b/Duckweed-Liv...55-0&campid=5336728181&customid=&toolid=10001

I am all for the use of duckweed, but it is out lawed in some states as invasive, so do not let it out of you pools into natral water ways. The fact that it grows so fast is what makes it a great food source, in fact if you use potable water, you can eat it.
https://www.offthegridnews.com/how-...g about,the Thai, Burmese and Laotians.&text=

This too is true it can be invasive. I'm surprised they allow ithere in Florida since we already have an very invasive river plant.

HippoTwilight

I really love that idea. . . think it would work for any vine type crop really, but with the different gourds makes a colorful walkway.

Latest posts

Back