The Government Wants to Decide What Items Are Essential Purchases

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We touched on this in another thread, decided to give it a thread of it's own.

The Government Wants to Decide What Items Are Essential Purchases and What Things You’re Not Allowed to Buy

April 6, 2020
by Daisy Luther

Living under lockdown restrictions, prevalent in nearly every state, is about to get a whole lot worse. The government in the United States and Canada has decided to take away the guesswork in the stores that are still open and decide for you what’s “essential” and what’s not.

When I have gone to the store to pick up groceries (I’m still getting fresh produce while I can), I also like to pick up a couple of things that are pleasant diversions: magazines, a crossword puzzle book, coloring pencils, some craft supplies. It’s nice to have some things that are enjoyable on hand to keep lockdown from feeling so grim and torturous. If the store is already open, getting a sunny yellow pillow for the living room is a pick-me-up, not a frivolous jaunt to a place I wasn’t already going. When we had a birthday in the family, we even picked up a few small gifts on our regular trip to the grocery store to provide a sense of normalcy.

But the days of getting a random item to brighten a family member’s day may be numbered. The government (at least in some places) wants to make this already unpleasant time as dismal as possible for us all.

Vermont has started a worrisome trend.

Vermont has decided to choose for you what is essential and what is not, banning the sale of non-essential items at stores like Target, Walmart, and Costco.

The Agency of Commerce and Community Development (ACCD) is directing large “big box” retailers, such as Walmart, Target and Costco, with in-store sales of food, beverage and pharmacy, as well as electronics, toys, clothing, and the like to cease in-person sales of non-essential items in order to reduce the number of people coming into the stores.
“Large ‘big box’ retailers generate significant shopping traffic by virtue of their size and the variety of goods offered in a single location,” said Agency of Commerce and Community Development Secretary Lindsay Kurrle. “This volume of shopping traffic significantly increases the risk of further spread of this dangerous virus to Vermonters and the viability of Vermont’s health care system. We are directing these stores to put public health first and help us reduce the number of shoppers by requiring on-line ordering, delivery and curbside pickup whenever possible, and by stopping the sale of non-essential items.” (source)

Retailers are asked to close certain areas of the stores, rope them off to deny access, or pull non-essentials from their shelves.

What’s considered non-essential?

The Burlington Free Press reports the following items have been deemed non-essential purchases:

• Arts and crafts items.
  • Beauty supplies.
  • Carpet and flooring.
  • Clothes.
  • Consumer electronics.
  • Entertainment (books, music, movies).
  • Furniture.
  • Home and garden.
  • Jewelry.
  • Paint.
  • Photo services.
  • Sports equipment.
  • Toys.

So a store you’re already at is telling you that grabbing some hand lotion to soothe your dry, cracked skin from the constant application of hand sanitizer is non-essential? Getting a book to read while you’re locked down is against the rules? You can’t do a home improvement project while you’re stuck at home?

I fail to see how this is going to stop the spread of a coronavirus if the shopper is already at the store and the employees are also already at the store.

In fact, it seems to me that this would be helpful to our gasping and dying economy. But what would I know? Dinesh Iyer, Assistant Professor of Management at Rutgers School of Business-Camden, says the stores don’t need our frivolous little purchases.

“I think the economy can wait,” he said. “Most corporations have access to debt and finances that are not available to the common folk.”
Corporations can “leverage their assets and tide through difficult times” by borrowing larger sums of money at lower interest rates and more frequently than you or I can,” he said.
“We have an opportunity to do all the things around the house that we have been putting off, spend time with family, learn a new skill,” Iyer said.
He even cautions against online shopping.
“The online shopping can wait,” Iyer said. “But if you must, you can always add the items of interest to your wish-list. And after the crisis, if you still need it, go for it. In the meantime, conserve the resources. You will be saving lives.” (source)

It’s rather curious how Iyer thinks us “common folk” will be able to do those things around the house and learn new skills without the supplies to do so.

One of the most alarming things is that garden supplies are considered non-essential.

Of all the times in the world you need most to plant a garden, now is the time. But in Vermont’s directive, even the sale of garden supplies is non-essential.

…showrooms and garden sections of large home improvement centers should be closed. (source)

And readers shared this photo from a store in Vermont.

The government of Vermont says that it isn’t really accurate.

Recent pictures circulating on social media appear to be from a box store which has roped off access to “non-essential” areas of the store, per guidance from ACCD, with various seed packets behind the roped-off section. As stated above, agricultural seeds have been deemed “essential” in Vermont per the Governor’s executive order, however a homeowner’s access to seeds has been modified to meet the Governor’s executive order.
We’re hoping that retailers and consumers alike restrict in-person shopping to items that need to be purchased in-person and are of a time sensitive nature. While the state recognizes the importance of gardening as a source of food for many Vermonters, the ability to browse for seeds and purchase them in person doesn’t outweigh the risk of spreading the virus. Retailers can continue to make seeds available online, delivery and curbside. (source)

Okay. You can just buy them online…or can you?

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/lockdown-retailers-decide-items-essential/

Continued:

Buying seeds online isn’t an option either.

Almost every seed company readers in the preparedness community have tried to make purchases from has said, sorry, but we’re just selling to commercial operations this year.

Johnny’s Select Seeds has the following announcement on their home page:

Here’s what you can expect as of March 31st, 2020:

• At this time, we are accepting new orders only from commercial farmers shipping to the U.S. and Canada and international wholesale customers. We plan to resume taking orders from all customers on April 14th. This restriction applies to all orders placed via our website, phone, and email. This was a difficult decision and we apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Commercial Farmers only: Please login to your website account before placing your order or call our contact center at 1-877-564-6697 for assistance. If you have forgotten your password, you can find information on resetting your password here.
  • Orders placed with our standard shipping option prior to March 31st, 2020 may experience a shipment delay of 5–10 days. Commercial orders placed on or after March 31st, 2020 may experience a shipment delay of 1–2 days.
  • You may experience a longer than usual response time when you phone in your order, call on us to answer growing questions, or email us to make inquiries.
  • We have closed our retail store in Winslow, Maine, and will not be hosting farm tours until further notice.

We remain honored that you have chosen Johnny’s. Whether you have been buying from Johnny’s for 25 years or this is your first order, please know that we care deeply about helping you through the challenges of this coronavirus outbreak. Call or email us if you need growing advice or help finding products. (source)

So…you can’t get seeds from your local Walmart garden center if you’re in Vermont and you can’t order seeds from seed stores. Good luck with that garden you were hoping would help see you through this disaster unless you’ve already got seeds put back from previous years.

What can we expect?

I think it’s extremely likely that Vermont’s idea will catch on and spread across the country. Just like lockdowns began in a couple of areas then spread state by state, don’t be surprised when this trend does also. The province of Ontario in Canada has just closed all their hardware stores and is limiting purchases only to curbside pick-up. Here’s what you need to be prepared to see:

• Don’t expect that you’re going to be able to pop over to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up seedlings – or even seeds – for your summer garden.
  • Don’t expect that you’ll be able to replace your children’s flipflops or sandals for the summer regardless of the growth of their feet – this could be considered “non-essential.”
  • Don’t expect to be able to replace clothing for growing children – at least not in person.
  • Don’t expect to get any summer toys for the kids to play with while they’re in the back-yard – non-essential.
  • Don’t expect to be able to buy a bigger size of pants because you ate all your quarantine candy. You’re going to have to squeeze yourself into your old pants.
  • Don’t expect to be able to get the fabric to make masks – remember? Craft supplies are non-essential.

Really, don’t expect anything. Because for some reason, it seems like governments want to make an already difficult and stressful time even worse by taking away the possibility for any kind of pleasant past-time unless you already have all the supplies you need for that.

This senseless crackdown not only makes things even more unpleasant, but it takes away even more streams of revenue for struggling businesses. And more than that, it’s limiting our ability to be as self-reliant as possible, leaving people to fight it out at the grocery store for dwindling resources with few options for creating our own food supplies.

Those living in Vermont have unfortunately missed their window for anything but mail order. For the rest of us, if there are some things you were hoping to get – be it new curtains, paint for the living room, tile for the bathroom, pots for your container garden, or the supplies to make a new chicken coop – you’d better get it now before your state follows the lead of Vermont.

I got a call from the feed store today. The seed potatoes I ordered came in. Just one problem; I asked for 10 lbs each of two varieties, but now I have to take the whole 50 lb bag of each one. Everyone one and their dog wants seed potatoes but for some stupid reason, I hope to find out why when i pick them up, I have to take the whole 50 lb bag unopened, thus becoming a seed potato hoarder.

They said I could eat the ones I didn't need. Who here thinks a seed potatoe looks edible? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
On another forum the boardies were complaining about the same thing. A few said that seed company websites were crashing because so many people were trying to buy seeds. Several places had run out of stock. It's wrong for us to be told what we can and cannot buy. However, my main issue is that a more reasonable limit hasn't been put on items like seeds.
A woman bought up all the tomato seed packets she saw at a store. She remarked to a boardie that she didn't even have a garden but didn't want to go without tomatoes. Why was she being allowed to purchase them all???
Throwing away tankers of fresh milk while children go without. Processing plants can't get it processed before it goes bad. I know someone who needed to buy a small chest freezer recently that had nothing to do with this pandemic, but because of the rush on people hoarding food and such, she really had to shop around far and wide and found one at a big box home goods store, one of two that were left. All other stores she had checked were sold out.
I'm not panicking.

Continued:
My planting partner and I have been using Wilhite Seed Co. for fifteen years. We put in two sizeable orders per year. He and I put in a two acre garden twice a year for our families and he commercially farms watermelons and cantaloupes over several thousand acres. This year Wilhite told us that our order would take at least two weeks to get to us by mail. We asked if we could pick them up on site and they agreed. During the four hour drive, they called us four different times to advise us that different parts of our orders would be shorted to fulfill new orders for other customers. No apology, no explanation and no willingness to substitute.

Pretty soon all the shut down stores will be reopened. By the looters. There will be massive sales (or at least one gigantic fire sale anyway). Everything you can carry out, for free.

Politicians are just stupid. They are not uniquely qualified for any kind of decision. They just get themselves elected by making hollow promises and acting friendly towards voters. They are experts at nothing. Just buffoons with a title. If they don't start making smarter decisions, there will come a point when the general population realizes that these politicians are not people we should follow or obey. Then, all hell will break loose.

Items on the store shelves in the few stores that are still allowed to be open. Government says you can't buy them. Not a smart move at all. Definitely not smart.

Pretty soon all the shut down stores will be reopened. By the looters. There will be massive sales (or at least one gigantic fire sale anyway). Everything you can carry out, for free.

Politicians are just stupid. They are not uniquely qualified for any kind of decision. They just get themselves elected by making hollow promises and acting friendly towards voters. They are experts at nothing. Just buffoons with a title. If they don't start making smarter decisions, there will come a point when the general population realizes that these politicians are not people we should follow or obey. Then, all hell will break loose.

Items on the store shelves in the few stores that are still allowed to be open. Government says you can't buy them. Not a smart move at all. Definitely not smart.
Except for the fact that about 70% of the population seems perfectly OK with it because, "pUblIcSafEtY"

This is a gross over reach of power. The government has no business telling anyone what they can or can't sell unless there is a law prohibiting it.

Well, I picked up my 100 lbs of seed potatoes that should have been 20 lbs, the reason that I had to take the whole bags is that the unopened bag is certified. Once the bag is opened and some are removed, they instantly become decertified and therefore illegal for sale by businesses.

Up until now, the feed store just ignored this 💩 rule, but now the Gov. over reach, former HOA presidents, have to justify their existence by creating hardship and shortages and are making themselves known.

I will plant as many as I can in odd ball places as a great potato experiment and bag the rest in small quantities to sell by the honor system out at the road. As a small farmer I can sell them uncertified if labeled as such.

Last edited:
On another forum the boardies were complaining about the same thing. A few said that seed company websites were crashing because so many people were trying to buy seeds. Several places had run out of stock. It's wrong for us to be told what we can and cannot buy. However, my main issue is that a more reasonable limit hasn't been put on items like seeds.
A woman bought up all the tomato seed packets she saw at a store. She remarked to a boardie that she didn't even have a garden but didn't want to go without tomatoes. Why was she being allowed to purchase them all???
Throwing away tankers of fresh milk while children go without. Processing plants can't get it processed before it goes bad. I know someone who needed to buy a small chest freezer recently that had nothing to do with this pandemic, but because of the rush on people hoarding food and such, she really had to shop around far and wide and found one at a big box home goods store, one of two that were left. All other stores she had checked were sold out.
I'm not panicking.

I have started pre germinating seeds so I don't have to waste time replanting if any don't sprout. I buy up all the discounted seeds from any bin I pass each year that sells a pack for .10 or less. I will take it all without looking what it is, so I have 3 five gallon buckets of old seed plus the seed I save from my own plants while trying to make landraces for my farm.

If you cannot get seeds and are worried, go to the store and buy a veggie you want to grow.

Anything with seeds. Although this would have been better last fall, some of you have long enough growing seasons to possibly make it work this year. If not, you will have seed for just in case next year. Go on line to get seed saving instructions for each variety. It is easy to do. To get seeds for biennials like carrots and onions, ect. again, go to the store and plant the actual veggie and google how to collect the seeds come fall.

Try planting dry beans from the grocery store as well. You might be pleasantly surprised. Bulk bin stores have a great selection of dried beans and many are even organic if that is wanted.

You won't end up with any fancy variety, but you are guaranteed something to plant next spring if they rinse and repeat this fiasco.

Just one more reason to grow heirloom plants and save the seeds. We hold seed potatoes over by leaving the smallest potatoes in the ground over the winter. I have seeds saved from the last 5 years of harvests. No need to buy new seeds.

We seem to be able to get seeds, or maybe it was just because we didn't need a bunch and I got them early. I did run into this a little yesterday. How are clothes not a necessity. Yes, millions of pounds of clothes go to landfill each year, but not from all. Hubby wears out his clothes or catches them on fire occasionally. I get him shirts from thrift shops. Yesterday, I went to BiMart to get him some pants. There is a type of canvas duct that fit him and sorta hold up. They only carry 2 of each size so I bought both in his size, but what happens if the Marts are the only options for clothes. It's pretty messed up.

Just one more reason to grow heirloom plants and save the seeds. We hold seed potatoes over by leaving the smallest potatoes in the ground over the winter. I have seeds saved from the last 5 years of harvests. No need to buy new seeds.
We've done some of that and bought extra over the years but I guess it's time to start getting religions about it.

We always have a lot of seeds. If they don't sprout because of age, I just seed more. How does your husband catch his clothes on fire? Ordering clothing online is a pain. You don't always get what the photo looks like.
He is a metal fabricator so lots of welding and sparks. He’s had two different aprons but they are cumbersome to work in evidently.

Our gov just announced liquor stores and car dealerships are not essential and will be shut down starting today.

Well....There is one brand that is not going to shut down. as a matter of fact. I think it might ramp up operations.
silly dawg.jpg

LOL...

I'm guessing there will be several lawsuits from small businesses regarding this government overreach. Perhaps this will end up being a good thing and ultimately make us stronger after this is behind us. If nothing else, this whole situation has shed some light on how the government operates.....or doesn't. Clearly some things need to be changed and laws need to be clarified.

I have been looking for seeds and plants, from the arm chair.

While I do not eat many potatoes, I am thinking this is a year to grow some and will do so in 5 gallon buckets. Daughter has a bunch of buckets and she wants to grow some as well. We'll work together to get what we need to get this done. Potatoes are easy to grow and could sure fill some food gaps. They are delicious and a comfort food, at least for us.

Several years ago, I grew some potatoes in my garden. Evidently I missed a few potatoes when I harvested them, because the next spring a few grew in the potato patch area, without me re-planting them. It made me wonder how successful we would be with planting small potatoes in the fall to see what would come up the next spring.

Yesterday, I called a nursery that we have been to many times. They do not have potato starts yet, but will towards the end of April. They have seeds by several companies and have several large racks. They are selling seeds and other supplies via email orders, calling after they have filled the order for CC information and curbside pickup. I placed an email order late afternoon yesterday.

In previous years, we have gone to garden sales where we have gotten our seedlings. It looks like those will not be happening this year, understandably, so we will have to try to start plants that we haven't for years, but also keep calling nurseries to see what they will sell for curb side pickup. The place we often go to has their own greenhouse, so I would expect them to have seedlings.

Things get jumbled up after a few days. Was it here that I previously saw that underwear and socks are deemed non-essential? I know the article Sentry posted said that clothing is deemed non-essential. That is okay for someone like me who has extras, but what about families with growing children? Will they have to shop online to get clothing? Or will all sales of clothing be stopped?

I have worn shirts and pants that I have for quilt making, but that still fit. I have been thinking that since I'm not going out, I could wear them around my place when I garden and do yard work. On grandparents farm/ranch, worn and repaired clothing was worn for work. Better clothing was saved for going to church or to town.

We have a sinful amount of clothing; everything from the skin out to coats, shoes, and boots. We are fortunate to be well past having growing children. I am quite certain a good portion of my clothing will out live me.

I'm sure I could be surprised, but I don't think the Government shutting off any purchases, as wrong as it is, would affect me.

This is just crazy. I hope this is remembered and these folks are voted out of office.

I wouldn't count on it. Just look through FB posts and it will show a side of our populous that will astound you.

I was chiming in on a post last night about getting the economy rolling again. There were some real sheep on there. I tried explaining that if this lockdown continues much longer we may never recover, or at best, it will take a long time.

I could not believe some of the comments. Some people were just going off about the virus and social distancing, blah blah blah, we're all gonna die if we don't stay home. All I could do is shake my head.

Latest posts

Back