The Government Wants to Decide What Items Are Essential Purchases

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea what a Devil Dog. I guess if they do ban them, it will have no affect on me, since I don't even know what it is.
Drakes Devil Dogs are snack-sized devils food cakes, 'cream'-filled, sometimes chocolate dipped. Probably nutritionally useless. One of several pleasures I am supposed to feel guilty about.

Here you go, Weedy:

11963258_f1024.jpg

You can't ban those :cry: Hostess is one of the main Food Groups, isn't it? This would fit right into that category.

VT is right. There is probably more nutritional value in eating the box.

I had no idea what they were either and never even heard of the brand name Drakes. Looks like the Little Debbie version of government cheese to me. 😋
That would be meal #28
We're even. I never heard of 'government cheese'.
Government cheese makes THE best grilled cheese. We had some neighbors growing up who had nine kids. They qualified for Government cheese, butter and milk. The butter was REAL butter, the milk was powdered and the cheese was sort of like Velveeta but firmer. It made crazy good Mac and cheese and grilled cheese.

Ah, so. Back in the 1940s, Vermont had a 'Commodities' program, administered at the local level by the Overseer for the Poor. My family was a smidgen above the qualifying income level, but the program often had a surplus of provisions, and the overseer talked Par into accepting some. The cheese in the box was good Vermont cheddar, could have been from Crowley's Cheese factory, a few miles away.
I don't remember what else was provided, except for the graham flour. Mar tried to bake bread with it, but it was not well received at the dinner table. Too 'different'.

Ah, so. Back in the 1940s, Vermont had a 'Commodities' program, administered at the local level by the Overseer for the Poor. My family was a smidgen above the qualifying income level, but the program often had a surplus of provisions, and the overseer talked Par into accepting some. The cheese in the box was good Vermont cheddar, could have been from Crowley's Cheese factory, a few miles away.
I don't remember what else was provided, except for the graham flour. Mar tried to bake bread with it, but it was not well received at the dinner table. Too 'different'.
The cheese we got when I was a kid was government cheese, aka commodities. It did make the best grilled cheese sandwiches.

At the time, there were 7 people in the family, and we got more than 100 pounds of flour a month. We also got peanut butter, raisins, butter, lard, dried beans, powdered milk and eggs, canned pork (which would make great green chili), oatmeal, sugar, cornmeal, and a few other items.

Our flour was used in lots of baking. We only had homemade bread during the time we got commodities and ours was delicious. Grandma made bread once a week, and part of that was two large pans of caramel cinnamon rolls. We often had fried bread dough on the days Grandma baked bread. As bread in loaves got drier, we had French toast, which in my home town, meant that it was deep fried, not the soggy stuff that the rest of the world eats. Everyone I knew growing up made French toast this way, deep frying it.

We also always had cookies and other homemade baked goods in the house.

Peanut butter was less than desirable, but it went into cookies. I've heard from other people that they didn't like the peanut butter either. I don't think it had any sugar added, which most commercial peanut butter does.

The cheese we got when I was a kid was government cheese, aka commodities. It did make the best grilled cheese sandwiches.

At the time, there were 7 people in the family, and we got more than 100 pounds of flour a month. We also got peanut butter, raisins, butter, lard, dried beans, powdered milk and eggs, canned pork (which would make great green chili), oatmeal, sugar, cornmeal, and a few other items.

Our flour was used in lots of baking. We only had homemade bread during the time we got commodities and ours was delicious. Grandma made bread once a week, and part of that was two large pans of caramel cinnamon rolls. We often had fried bread dough on the days Grandma baked bread. As bread in loaves got drier, we had French toast, which in my home town, meant that it was deep fried, not the soggy stuff that the rest of the world eats. Everyone I knew growing up made French toast this way, deep frying it.

We also always had cookies and other homemade baked goods in the house.

Peanut butter was less than desirable, but it went into cookies. I've heard from other people that they didn't like the peanut butter either. I don't think it had any sugar added, which most commercial peanut butter does.
Did you grow up on a reservation?

Our very large Total Wine store did not listen and shut down, so the police shut them down.
We can still buy alcohol at a grocery store, just not at a liquor store.
We are getting very annoying recorded phone alerts to stay in our home.
Looks like several state executives are going beyond federal directives in the journey toward a police state. The political allegiance of these people could be enlightening.

Looks like several state executives are going beyond federal directives in the journey toward a police state. The political allegiance of these people could be enlightening.
I think you'll get a mixed bag. I think a lot of sheriff deputies and state police (investigative type) will give big brother the bird. I fear that a lot of city POLICE and some highway patrol typs will have the, "just doin mu job..." attitude. This is my PERSONAL opinion after dealing all of these types of agencies for a couple of decades.

Latest posts

Back