The great battery thread

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

UrbanHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Okay, so you have a 48V system, all 8 batteries are in series, sorry no Gerry-rig for you....

You will need either 8-6V batteries or 4-12V batteries, sorry dude....

With a 3400 watt 120/240V AC inverter you could just about cover everything. I bet you could really drain those batteries fast (3 hours) if you turned everything on after dark.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
All about the ones that you have:
Leoch DTA6224 6 volt 224 amp hour SLA Battery Price: $220 ea plus tax with exchange* (core charge of $20)
Bci Group Size: GC2 Replaces Deka 8AGC2, T-105RE, GPL-6CT

Terminal TypeButton
Amp Hours {AH}:224 AH at 20 Hour Rate
Weight:63 Lbs
Dimensions {L x W x H}10.2 in x 7.09 in x 9.84 in
Initial Charging Current:
Charging Voltage:
Cycle Use
Float Use
Max Current <45A

7.2-7.4v(Time 14-16Hr)
6.75-6.9v
Note the charge voltage numbers for cycle use and float use.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Sounds like a pretty good system but WAY short on battery storage. 225AH @ 48 volts I have been running AGM cells for 13 years without issue I do get all my batteries used and figure 3-5 years is pretty good on them. I am in my fourth year of the current set. But I have a lot less inverter and a LOT more storage capacity @ 600-650 AH @ 48V. Which is still far to little.

haboob

Super Friend
Neighbor
Supervisor42 - The box is just for looks...

BiggKidd and Urban Hunter - Until one of them malfunctioned, they were perfect. Ran everything in the house just fine and in the morning, were down only about 1/3. Charged up full by 10-11am and good to go. I wouldn't change a thing if they hadn't gone bad. I would just get them again but now I don't trust them/

What is my cheapest option? Just go to Walmart and get (4) 12V golf cart batteries?

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I used to hear good things about the Sam's Club deep cycle batteries. But that was like 10 years ago so kinda old info. Don't know if they still have a good bang for the buck on those or not.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
. I would just get them again but now I don't trust them/
What is my cheapest option? Just go to Walmart and get (4) 12V golf cart batteries?
The problem is the 12v batteries are approximately the same physical size as the 6v batteries and less than half of the capacity of 2, 6v batteries. :(

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As many of you know, I'm using Costco GC-2 205 amp-hour batteries, 4 each per series for a five parallel bank for 24 VDC for 1,025 amp-hours total. In 2013 when we bought the batteries, they were $89 each plus a core charge of $9 each, the last time I priced GC-2 Costco batteries, they were about $94 each and they had increase the amp-hours to 210. Here's my take on a battery going bad in one bank, I will replace one battery in each bank, I feel that by doing that it will balance out each bank, thing is, one should have a hydrometer on hand to check on how well all the battery cells are doing.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Since this is "The Great Battery Thread" I can warn everybody that lots of junk-pull batteries from Tesla cars are already hitting the market as "Lithium batteries for solar power".
You have to look close to see the 'pre-owned' label.
As a tech, I can tell you that somebody didn't do all of that work to pull them out if they were 'just fine'.:oops:

Last edited:

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
How about something like this?
So far I haven't seen the Trojan made batteries in the Medford, OR. Costco, they have been selling GC-2 batteries made by Interstate, those are of outstanding quality, but I've heard that Trojan makes great batteries as well and that price is very good.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
How about something like this?
I would spend a few bucks more and get the Crown battery.
https://www.thesolarbiz.com/crown-cr-205-group-gc2-6v-205-ah-battery.html
Crown CR-205 Group GC2 6V 205 AH Battery
Rating:
0% of100
Be the first to review this product
$109.57
More Information
Item Number: CRO-06205
Last Price Update: 06/22/2021
Manufacturer: Crown
Made In: United States
Model Number: 6CRP205 (CR-205)

We put Crown batteries thru every kind of torture in industrial applications you can imagine.
They learned from us.
And they improved constantly, until we finally shut up.

"Established in 1926, Crown has grown to be an international leader in battery supply. You can find Crown batteries in heavy-duty equipment on and off highways all over the world. As well as throughout the railroad industry, moving freight efficiently to global markets. Crown batteries are powering underground mining equipment in the Americas, Africa and Asia. They can also be found in steel mills and in renewable energy installations around the world, and even in the recreational marine and automotive industries. Crown Battery is reaching new heights in the aerial access equipment industry. Whether it’s floor care equipment at work in New York City or Tokyo…or an electric truck lift operating in Flint, Michigan…Crown batteries can be found getting the work done. On time. In all critical applications.

Originally designed for use in Golf Carts where a long service life over countless charge and discharge cycles is required, the Crown CR-205 deep cycle battery lends itself perfectly for use in renewable energy applications. Rated at 6 volts and 205 AH, the Crown CR-205 offers superior construction at an entry-level price."

Granted, we used a much more expensive, indestructible, 6-volt battery than this one (the CR-205), but for the price I think it would be much better than the Toejam.

haboob

Super Friend
Neighbor
Thank you, Supervisor42! That looks like it will do it, and the price is fine. I imagine shipping will be expensive, but I'll see if I can find them here in Arizona......

Latest posts