The great battery thread

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so you have a 48V system, all 8 batteries are in series, sorry no Gerry-rig for you....

You will need either 8-6V batteries or 4-12V batteries, sorry dude....

With a 3400 watt 120/240V AC inverter you could just about cover everything. I bet you could really drain those batteries fast (3 hours) if you turned everything on after dark.

All about the ones that you have:
Leoch DTA6224 6 volt 224 amp hour SLA Battery Price: $220 ea plus tax with exchange* (core charge of $20)
Bci Group Size: GC2 Replaces Deka 8AGC2, T-105RE, GPL-6CT

Terminal TypeButton
Amp Hours {AH}:224 AH at 20 Hour Rate
Weight:63 Lbs
Dimensions {L x W x H}10.2 in x 7.09 in x 9.84 in
Initial Charging Current:
Charging Voltage:
Cycle Use
Float Use
Max Current <45A

7.2-7.4v(Time 14-16Hr)
6.75-6.9v
Note the charge voltage numbers for cycle use and float use.

Sounds like a pretty good system but WAY short on battery storage. 225AH @ 48 volts I have been running AGM cells for 13 years without issue I do get all my batteries used and figure 3-5 years is pretty good on them. I am in my fourth year of the current set. But I have a lot less inverter and a LOT more storage capacity @ 600-650 AH @ 48V. Which is still far to little.

Supervisor42 - The box is just for looks...

BiggKidd and Urban Hunter - Until one of them malfunctioned, they were perfect. Ran everything in the house just fine and in the morning, were down only about 1/3. Charged up full by 10-11am and good to go. I wouldn't change a thing if they hadn't gone bad. I would just get them again but now I don't trust them/

What is my cheapest option? Just go to Walmart and get (4) 12V golf cart batteries?

I used to hear good things about the Sam's Club deep cycle batteries. But that was like 10 years ago so kinda old info. Don't know if they still have a good bang for the buck on those or not.

. I would just get them again but now I don't trust them/
What is my cheapest option? Just go to Walmart and get (4) 12V golf cart batteries?
The problem is the 12v batteries are approximately the same physical size as the 6v batteries and less than half of the capacity of 2, 6v batteries. :(

As many of you know, I'm using Costco GC-2 205 amp-hour batteries, 4 each per series for a five parallel bank for 24 VDC for 1,025 amp-hours total. In 2013 when we bought the batteries, they were $89 each plus a core charge of $9 each, the last time I priced GC-2 Costco batteries, they were about $94 each and they had increase the amp-hours to 210. Here's my take on a battery going bad in one bank, I will replace one battery in each bank, I feel that by doing that it will balance out each bank, thing is, one should have a hydrometer on hand to check on how well all the battery cells are doing.

Since this is "The Great Battery Thread" I can warn everybody that lots of junk-pull batteries from Tesla cars are already hitting the market as "Lithium batteries for solar power".
You have to look close to see the 'pre-owned' label.
As a tech, I can tell you that somebody didn't do all of that work to pull them out if they were 'just fine'.:oops:

Last edited:
I would spend a few bucks more and get the Crown battery.
https://www.thesolarbiz.com/crown-cr-205-group-gc2-6v-205-ah-battery.html
Crown CR-205 Group GC2 6V 205 AH Battery
Rating:
0% of100
Be the first to review this product
$109.57
More Information
Item Number: CRO-06205
Last Price Update: 06/22/2021
Manufacturer: Crown
Made In: United States
Model Number: 6CRP205 (CR-205)

We put Crown batteries thru every kind of torture in industrial applications you can imagine.
They learned from us.
And they improved constantly, until we finally shut up.

"Established in 1926, Crown has grown to be an international leader in battery supply. You can find Crown batteries in heavy-duty equipment on and off highways all over the world. As well as throughout the railroad industry, moving freight efficiently to global markets. Crown batteries are powering underground mining equipment in the Americas, Africa and Asia. They can also be found in steel mills and in renewable energy installations around the world, and even in the recreational marine and automotive industries. Crown Battery is reaching new heights in the aerial access equipment industry. Whether it’s floor care equipment at work in New York City or Tokyo…or an electric truck lift operating in Flint, Michigan…Crown batteries can be found getting the work done. On time. In all critical applications.

Originally designed for use in Golf Carts where a long service life over countless charge and discharge cycles is required, the Crown CR-205 deep cycle battery lends itself perfectly for use in renewable energy applications. Rated at 6 volts and 205 AH, the Crown CR-205 offers superior construction at an entry-level price."

Granted, we used a much more expensive, indestructible, 6-volt battery than this one (the CR-205), but for the price I think it would be much better than the Toejam.

Thank you, Supervisor42! That looks like it will do it, and the price is fine. I imagine shipping will be expensive, but I'll see if I can find them here in Arizona......

Granted, we used a much more expensive, indestructible, 6-volt battery than this one (the CR-205), but for the price I think it would be much better than the Toejam.
I never mentioned what these were.
The Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL.
Impossible for consumers to find unless you know 'the guy'. :confused:

Reactions: Neb
We went to Costco today and they had some GC2 6volt 210 amp hour batteries on hand, they are now $99.99 plus core charge, I presently don't need to replace any of the batteries in our system, but it is good to know that some are now showing up finally.

Just to let you know, I lost grid power Thursday the 9th, due to dropping a tree with a mind of it's own falling on the grid power weather-head, the tree was hooked to another tree with a come-along, didn't make any difference, it went where it wanted to go, anyway to make a long story short, we've been running 2 refrigerators and a large and small chest freezer on our solar standby system, it's a good lesson on what to run and what not to run, I've been shutting the larger frig off from time to time, it seems to be having some issues that could be connected to an automatic temp door, I'm going to change it out because the run time is 30-35 minutes on 17 minutes off, actual run time should be closer to 30%. So far our battery bank runs down after midnight and around 8:00 AM the inverter kicks back on. Even with it being cloudy we're getting 68+ volts and an amazing 46 amp charge to the batteries through the MPPT solar controller.

Thought I'd add a report with next to a week later, we're adjusting to what we can use, electrically, but it also seems like the solar system is also increasing it's efficiency, yesterday the ending of the day battery voltage was just under 24 volts, so far today the voltage is over 26 and I watched amperages coming out of the solar controller run slightly over 51 amps, I'm totally impressed at the way an MPPT controller works in producing those numbers out of solar panels putting out an average of 68 volts with an ampere output rating of just slightly over 20 amps total. The MorningStar MPPT controller we have is rated for 60 amps total, the meter was indicating 119 degrees operating temp, so the units large cooling fins were doing a good job. On the other hand, I do see where I could make improvements, a couple more panels and four more batteries, or maybe going to 210 amp-hour batteries over the 205 AH batteries we have, 210's are what Costco is now selling. There is a way I can do a mix and match that can keep our battery system balanced, I'm already using that system by connecting two differently manufacture dated batteries in each of the five parallel connected banks, by connecting two old to two new batteries per series connection, I can add one more bank or if I replaced all 20 batteries and added four for another bank it would end up being $2,400 and the cost of wire connectors, that would give me 1,260 amp hours, presently we have 1,025 AH. We'll have to think this over considering we'll be having a fairly expensive outlay of money on a electrical upgrade to a 200 amp service for our grid supply. If my DW and I were younger we would probably go a different way and go totally off grid with an alternative way to heat water that didn't take electricity. Truth is, whatever shortcomings our solar backup system may have, it is exceeding our expectations, lead/acid batteries do take a lot of attention, on the other hand they have been affordable.

Well the electrician came yesterday and install a new meter base/breaker panel and mast, just needs to be inspected and then call the power company to get the overhead wires hooked up, spendy it was, but now we have a 200 amp panel, I just hate to think how much the wires from the transformer for upgrading to 200 amp would cost, maybe sometime in the future, If we have any time left, that is. Anyway, meanwhile, the solar system is chugging along doing what it's supposed to do, however, I see the possible need for a few more panels and another bank of batteries, may also have to add a second MPPT controller as the one we have is running next to maximum output, the 51 amp reading is just 9 amps from being the max for the MorningStar controller, the total acceptable wattage is 1,600 and we are at 1560. There is a bit of a steep learning curve when running on solar, you have to figure what you can and cannot run without depleting the daily ration of charge on the batteries, cloudy days tend to put a damper on how much we can do.

Today it was so cloudy and rainy we hardly got any solar charge. I wired up an electrical cord to run my friends 6,000 watt generator and was about to get it working when his carburetor fell apart, borrowed the other neighbor's generator and found that the 120/240 outlet was only 20 AMP, so I ended up pull out our generator which was at the back of our tractor shed/woodshed, got it up and running and it's been working great, it's a real off brand Chinese made 8,500, 7500 full running load watts. I found that I not wired my inverter to charge off of a generator, that will be taken care of soon. Also, I just earlier saw that the new meter base/breaker panel was inspected and green tagged, now all I have to do is call the power company to hook things up. My wife will be happy to have the water heater working again.

So I was trying to type a thread, which was actually finished and ready to post when the power went out, lost all that I had typed, oh well, the back up works good. Anyway, because of some strange battery issues on the batteries we bought in 2013 we're getting all new Costco GC-2 210 amp-hour batteries, we bought twelve that all have the same build date sticker, I'd love to have bought the whole pallet but at just under
$100 a battery, plus $15 each core charge, we couldn't afford a one shot deal. I finally checked the electrolytes on the questionable batteries and surprisingly they were all good, the only thing I can figure is that a couple of terminal nuts were slightly loose. Anyway these batteries are old enough to just go ahead and change out, it would be nice to start out a SHTF with fresh batteries, especially when I'm seeing cell insulation beginning to come loose, in more than one battery. We're getting four more batteries, I am going to add one more bank for a total of 1260 amp-hours, the old system had 1025 AH, this should take care of longer power outages.

With all factors considered and based on my past experience, I am an advocate for Nickel Iron batteries and 12-volt systems. The initial cost of larger gauge wiring is well worth it. Inverters create more dependence on foreign manufacturers and a link of inefficiency. My idea is if one wants to go off the grid, then learn to live with fewer appliances and use alternative ways.

Last edited:
With all factors considered and based on my past experience, I am an advocate for Nickel Iron batteries and 12-volt systems. The initial cost of larger gauge wiring is well worth it. Inverters create more dependence on foreign manufacturers and a link of inefficiency. My idea is if one wants to go off the grid, then learn to live with fewer appliances and use alternative ways.
Nickle iron are great if your pocket can support them. I've personally had all the 12 volt equipment I want I'll stick with 48 volt thanks. Greater efficiency, less heat and longer life from my experience.

Our 4,000 watt pure sine wave inverter/ charger which is made by Magnum Energy, I believe was made in Everett,Washington, however, since the US make next to nothing anymore, I'm pretty sure most all the parts come from foreign manufacturers, probably so do the batteries and the wire to connect them to whatever equipment we connect them too. We decided to run on 24 volts because that's the operating voltage of the inverter/charger we wanted to get and running on 24 or higher voltages makes the inverters far more efficient. The inverter system we bought is stackable and we could stack up to a total of four for 17.6 KW, however we look to be as minimal in power usage as we can and I've mentioned this before, when things go bad (SHTF situation), we will use up all the things in the refrigerators and freezers, asap and shut most all battery powered things down, sooner or later all batteries will fail, we designed our prepps in accordance, the future will be candle and oil lamp lighted. Truth is we can afford lead acid batteries and more than likely they will give us just the usage time we'll need.

Nickle iron are great if your pocket can support them. I've personally had all the 12 volt equipment I want I'll stick with 48 volt thanks. Greater efficiency, less heat and longer life from my experience.
I could have gone with a 48 volt system, Magnum Energy makes a 4,400 watt inverter/charger, I figured our needs and the 4,000 watt unit would take care of what we needed and as well by using 24 volts I was able to get over 1,000 amp-hours of battery storage time. The efficiency of our 24 volt 4,000 watt system is 93%, the 48 volt 4,400 watt system is 94%. Our system, 24 VDC using series parallel with twenty four 210 AH batteries equals 1,260 AH, for an extra bank of batteries to give me just 420 AH on 48 VDC would take 16 GC-2 batteries and I don't have room for that many batteries. We're very happy with what we have and it does a great job and it's affordable.

I could have gone with a 48 volt system, Magnum Energy makes a 4,400 watt inverter/charger, I figured our needs and the 4,000 watt unit would take care of what we needed and as well by using 24 volts I was able to get over 1,000 amp-hours of battery storage time. The efficiency of our 24 volt 4,000 watt system is 93%, the 48 volt 4,400 watt system is 94%. Our system, 24 VDC using series parallel with twenty four 210 AH batteries equals 1,260 AH, for an extra bank of batteries to give me just 420 AH on 48 VDC would take 16 GC-2 batteries and I don't have room for that many batteries. We're very happy with what we have and it does a great job and it's affordable.
I would love to hear what components (Make and Model) are in your system, it sounds like a good thing to emulate.

Checking my math (V,W,A,Ah), does your battery bank give you between 8 and 16 hours of standby power?

Reactions: Neb
I was talking about coming straight off the batteries for 12 volt DC. I haven't checked recently but it used to be that 12 VDC appliances were all that was available in dc. If 48-volt DC appliances are available, then I would go with 48-volt dc since that would reduce the current draw for the same wattage appliance over 12 or 24.

I know many home solar experts don't like nickel-iron and will only use lead acid or lithium. I have used both and both had their pros and cons. One reason I had great results with nickel-iron was I kept a constant charge on them from a small hydro set up on my creek. Also, I wired my cabin for 20 amp DC, so no inverter loss and deep cycle demands since I kept my 12 Vdc refrigerator on a separate circuit and hooked it to two parallel 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries that were charged by solar, a small wind generator, and an indoor bicycle alternator setup. I could read a book, charge the batteries, and keep fit all at the same time.

Last edited:
I would love to hear what components (Make and Model) are in your system, it sounds like a good thing to emulate.

Checking my math (V,W,A,Ah), does your battery bank give you between 8 and 16 hours of standby power?
With the present set of batteries we've been able to run 3 days when we didn't get a good solar charge due to very cloudy weather. our inverter is a pure sine wave 4,000 watt Magnum Energy, 120-240 Volts AC model MS 4024 PAE, the solar controller is a MorningStar MPPT 60 amp unit, I believe it will take up to 150 volts DC from a solar array and can be switched for 12,24 and 48 volt battery system.

Be prepared going out looking for things you need for repair or building projects, I stopped at a golf cart sales and repair business, I was looking for battery connecters for the added battery bank and I thought they might have some heavy duty connectors, well they had some connectors the size I need, but they were only number 6 with light weight connectors with the wires being about 10" long, the wow factor was that they want $40 for five of them, I want heavier wires 1/0 or 2/0, I'm sure I can come up with what I need, maybe I can find some used welding cable, heavy duty wire terminals and make my own connectors. Anything made with copper has really increased in price, I had some extra connectors on hand, but I used them on a solar project for a friend, should have made more when the prices were still low. I'll build them, probably complain about the prices but that's just the way things have gotten, however, I believe things are only going to get worse. My words of wisdom, if you have projects in mind, get them done now while you still can.

We just got our second set of twelve GC-2 batteries, same manufacture dates as the first twelve, next thing is getting new connector cables and a friend checked Interstate Battery, from what he said, the price for heavy cables are pretty good.

We finally got our new battery system on line at about 12:00 AM, turned on the inverter/charger and the charging amps stabilized at 105, it didn't take long and the float charge dropped to 32 amps. We upgraded all the jumper wires since adding another battery bank, previous total Amp Hours of the five. bank system was 1025 AH, now with the sixth bank and the new batteries, the total is 1,260 AH, the only thing is that now I have 72 cells to check every month.

Back