The grits thread.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of my favorite foods, grits are a Southern staple and pretty common at the local meat n three you might encounter passing through the south, so here we go, grits and more grits!

Basic grits:
Bring two cups of water to a full boil and add a cap full of cooking oil, stir and add one cup of grits, stirring well until they begin to "bloop"
remove from heat and let sit for ten minutes.
That is as basic as it gets, Basic is boring as hell! you can add butter, salt, and pepper, and a sunny-side-up egg on top. basic breakfast with a side of swine.
Basic is boring.

Before you cover your pot of grits to allow it to sit, you can add a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a couple of nondairy creamer, stir well, and let sit a few minutes, it tastes like cream of wheat but it's better for you and used the same way.

You can add a large mixing spoon full of peanut butter and a spoonful of your favorite jelly, and mix well for PBJ grits.
Taking the same pan of water, add three mixed eggs, grits, a cup of cubed cheddar or American cheese, two finely diced Jalapeno peppers, and a bit of minced onion if desired. Bring to a bloop for one minute, stir well, cover, and cool for ten minutes.

Taking your basic grits again, just as they start to bloop, add 4 eggs on top and cover for five minutes for soft-boiled, ten for done.

OH NO! Extra grits? Don't waste them on the dog, save them until the next day, gently remove it from the pan in as much as one piece as possible, dip in egg yolk and bread crumbs, and fry until golden brown.

Taking the basic grits, add 1/2 a stick of butter and 4 scoops of Nestle's quick, pour into a greased bowl, and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
Serve on toast with a scoop of cherry pie filling.

Using a 60/40 mix to make stiffer grits, serve with chicken gravy as a side dish.

More later! ;)

All-rigtht-ya'all..... Here is the little this Rocky Mountain northerner has learned about grits.. This knowledge gained from Jo-ja... (Georgia) to Tucson...
As a kid my granny (born, raised in West Virginia, moved to the US, Canadian western mountains as a young woman about 1910) She used to make a version of grits with yellow corn meal as white corn meal wasn't depenently available.. She also fried the left overs as ..fried mush.. patties.. Wonderful with butter and maple syrup..

Both unfortunately, and fortunately the best grits I have found in the north, for my taste, is Quaker Oats brand instant grits.. Walmart brand will do in a pinch... My favorite is with plenty of extra butter and occasionally a spoon of maple syrup.. Also a bowl of grits with a couple poached eggs mixed well... Always with bacon on the side...

I sure do miss an occasional stop at the Waffle House...

Isn’t “grits” just a fancy Southern way of saying “polenta”? 😜

(I love grits. And polenta.)
Polenta is finer ground and has a distinct flavor of its own. We call it "boiled mush" or WAY down south, gruel or sawmill gravy. I like it the next day cold next to pork or chicken. Have you ever made it with meat broth? Granny would boil fruit peelings and make it with cream for a kind of hillbilly ice cream.

Basic is boring as hell! you can add butter, salt, and pepper, and a sunny-side-up egg on top. basic breakfast with a side of swine.
That is how I like them.

Polenta is finer ground and has a distinct flavor of its own. We call it "boiled mush" or WAY down south, gruel or sawmill gravy. I like it the next day cold next to pork or chicken. Have you ever made it with meat broth? Granny would boil fruit peelings and make it with cream for a kind of hillbilly ice cream.
Now that’s interesting, because I’m more familiar with polenta being coarsely ground and grits being finer. I wonder if it’s a regional thing?

I like to do polenta with meat broth for sure, especially one I threw a rind of Parmesan in while cooking. Then swirl in butter and cheese at the end — yum! I have a lamb shank recipe with peppers and onions that I like to do polenta for the side, so it’ll soak up the juices.

Down here we use yellow cornmeal, which is only slightly coarser than flour, the coarse white stuff is actually fine ground grits. Try mixing some in with chicken stew for a dumpling variation or in squirrel broth.

Latest posts

Back