The Gun That Almost Killed Theodore Roosevelt...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazo2503

REDLEG...
Neighbor
The presidential candidate didn't let a mere bullet slow him down

EA6-CE181-0-F1-A-40-E1-8-AAA-A2193-CA585-B8.png

On Oct. 14, 1912, John Flammang Schrank shot Theodore Roosevelt in Milwaukee, Wisconsin while Roosevelt was campaigning. Roosevelt was running for a third term as president at the head of his newly formed Progressive Party. His opponents were Republican incumbent William Howard Taft and Democrat Woodrow Wilson.

As Roosevelt was leaving a dinner for supporters at the Gilpatrick Hotel, Schrank stepped forward and shot Roosevelt with a Colt revolver chambered in .38 S&W — possibly a Police Positive or an M1892 Army & Navy.

Schrank purchased the revolver before he left New York to begin his pursuit of Roosevelt’s campaign across eight states. He finally got his shot at Roosevelt just after 8:00 P.M. outside the Gilpatrick. The .38-caliber slug struck Roosevelt in the chest, passing through his steel glasses case and a folded copy of the speech he was about to give. This slowed the bullet, sapping its energy before it entered Roosevelt’s chest, breaking a rib.

F31-DCBC6-D43-B-4-D92-9-B22-C79-FC8-F8631-C.jpg

At top — the gun that almost killed Roosevelt. Photo via Wikipedia. Above — an x-ray of Roosevelt’s chest, showing Schrank’s bullet. Source

Schrank was quickly arrested and Roosevelt, after coughing and seeing no blood, decided to continue to the Milwaukee Auditorium. He deliver a planned speech rightly believing Schrank’s bullet had not punctured his heart or lungs and his life was not in immediate danger.

Investigation of Schrank’s diary revealed he believed he was following orders he’d received in a dream from Pres. William Mckinley, who himself had been assassinated. Doctors determined Schrank was mentally ill and suffering from delusions of grandeur. The assassin claimed he had shot Roosevelt to prevent the ex-president from breaking the then-unwritten rule that presidents should serve no more than two terms in office.

Roosevelt addressed the crowd before he gave his speech, telling them:

Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don’t know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose [in reference to the nickname for his Progress Party]. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet — there is where the bullet went through — and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best.

He went on to speak at length for 90 minutes before leaving for the hospital, where doctors probed and x-rayed his chest before deciding it was safer to leave the bullet in Roosevelt’s chest than to take it out. “I do not mind it any more than if it were in my waistcoat pocket,” he famously said several years later.

Schrank spent the rest of his life in Wisconsin’s Central State Mental Hospital, where he died in 1943. Roosevelt was unable to continue campaigning but remained on the ballot. He and his Progressive Party won 27 percent of the vote share, beating Taft’s 23 percent and splitting the Republican vote, thus allowing the Democrat Wilson to win with 42 percent of the vote.

It’s possible that, had he been able to continue his campaign, Roosevelt may have won the presidency again, but Schrank fulfilled his deluded ambition and prevented Roosevelt from serving a third term. Rooseveltdied seven years later in 1919, with Schrank’s bullet still in his chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. I had to do a little editing to upload the pics...

Last edited by a moderator:
I own the type of gun that killed President McKinley...

Assassination of 25th President of the United States: William McKinley

William McKinley (January 29, 1843 – September 14, 1901) was the 25th President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1897 until his assassination in September 1901, six months into his second term. McKinley led the nation to victory in the Spanish–American War, raised protective tariffs to promote American industry, and maintained the nation on the gold standard in a rejection of free silver (effectively, expansionary monetary policy).

Although McKinley enjoyed meeting the public, everyone around him was concerned with his security due to recent assassinations by anarchists in Europe, such as the assassination of King Umberto I of Italy the previous year, and twice tried to remove a public reception from the President's rescheduled visit to the Exposition. McKinley refused, and arranged for additional security for the trip. On September 5th, the President delivered his address at the Pan-American fairgrounds in Buffalo, NY, before a crowd of some 50,000 people. In his final speech, McKinley urged reciprocity treaties with other nations to assure American manufacturers access to foreign markets. He intended the speech as a keynote to his plans for a second term.

One man in the crowd, Leon Czolgosz, hoped to assassinate McKinley. He had managed to get close to the presidential podium, but did not fire, uncertain of hitting his target. Czolgosz, since hearing a speech by anarchist Emma Goldman in Cleveland, had decided to do something he believed would advance the cause. After his failure to get close enough on the fifth, Czolgosz waited the next day at the Temple of Music on the Pan-American Exposition grounds, where the President was to meet the public.

On September 6th, Czolgosz went to the exposition armed with a concealed small 5 shot .32 S&W caliber Iver Johnson "Safety Automatic" revolver (serial #463344 )...he had purchased four days earlier for $4.50.

He approached McKinley, who had been standing in a receiving line inside the Temple of Music, greeting the public for ten minutes. At 4:07 PM., Czolgosz reached the front of the line. McKinley extended his hand... but, Czolgosz slapped it aside and shot the President in the abdomen twice, at point-blank range; the first bullet ricocheted off a coat button and lodged in McKinley's jacket; the 2nd bullet seriously wounded him in his stomach.

Unknown to the doctors, the gangrene that would kill him was growing on the walls of his stomach, slowly poisoning his blood. On the morning of September 13th, McKinley took a turn for the worse. Relatives and friends gathered around the death bed. At 2:15 AM on September 14th, President McKinley died. Theodore Roosevelt had rushed back and took the oath of office as president in Buffalo. Czolgosz, put on trial for murder nine days after McKinley's death, was found guilty, sentenced to death on September 26th, and executed by electric chair on October 29th, 1901.

Assassin's Actual Pistol & Handkerchief

amy8700.jpg

======================================================================

My specimen...a US Revolver Company ( Iver Johnson ) .32 S&W Top Break Revolver a Good Friend Recently Gifted Me...

G0SR0X8.jpg

0Ei33RH.jpg

1F3pENi.jpg

SPECS:

Barrel Length ~ 3 inches
Overall Length ~ 6.5 inches
Height ~ 4 inches
Weight ~ 3 ounces ( unloaded )

Serial Number / Date of Manufacture :

My specimen is stamped with a serial number of 92091...which would make it manufactured circa 1916.

Ammo:

The .32 S&W cartridge was introduced in 1878 for Smith & Wesson pocket revolvers. Originally designed by the Union Metallic Cartridge Co. (UMC) as a black powder cartridge using nine grains of black powder, the round has been loaded with smokeless powder exclusively since 1940. It is low-powered and perfect for use in small frame concealable revolvers and derringers. The round remained popular in the United States and Europe long after the firearms chambered for it were out of production.

DweIJOq.jpg

Latest posts

Back