The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an entire stream of running water right next door!
I think we're talking about two different kinds of running water...

I'm not saying it has to be completely modernized. But I like flush toilets and not having to go outside to get water. However if necessary I could deal with having to fill the toilet tank from a bucket, I've done that when my bathroom water lines froze. And I've been in a house that had a cistern with a hand pump at the sink. I could deal with that, especially in the short term...

FB_IMG_1570388501818.jpg

Jim

Gee Spike, kinda picky eh? I thought I was picky, but you might give me a run for my money:). I don't mind an outhouse and as long as the drinking water is clean, it's all good. A way to bathe is a bit of a requirement though. I've done the boil water for a bath thing before. It's over rated. It takes a lot of boiled water when it's cold out. That little log house is on a trailer so I'm guessing weekend getaway.
Keep em coming @phideaux You have good taste if I do say so myself :)

Gee Spike, kinda picky eh? I thought I was picky, but you might give me a run for my money:). I don't mind an outhouse and as long as the drinking water is clean, it's all good. A way to bathe is a bit of a requirement though. I've done the boil water for a bath thing before. It's over rated. It takes a lot of boiled water when it's cold out. That little log house is on a trailer so I'm guessing weekend getaway.
Keep em coming @phideaux You have good taste if I do say so myself :)
I'm not that picky...I just don't like cold that much. Or having to go out in the cold for things like getting a drink or using the John.

OK maybe I'm picky. Sue me...:p

I'm not that picky...I just don't like cold that much. Or having to go out in the cold for things like getting a drink or using the John.

Suck it up buttercup...pull up your big girl panties.

Bet you wish you had a toilet seat heater too.

That long walk to outhouse , with flashlight , at 1am is living life man.

:lil guy:
:LOL:

Jim
FB_IMG_1570457108468.jpg

I must be a lot pickier than most! Sure I could (and have) make do with a small place but for a home I want a kitchen with a pantry, a dining room, a living room, and a bedroom suite (for each bedroom). I need a work shop and a garage too.
I like having a library and an office and a luxury would be a home theater. All on one level with a big summer kitchen for canning and grilling for gatherings.
That is a DREAM house!

Being picky is fine long as you prepare for times it doesn't work.mama was picky till the power went off or points stuck in pump house then it was back to basics,outhouse, drawing water,etc,etc,etc,.

OK, that is a good looking house but;
From from my point of view there are a few problems:
1. The living room is sectioned out from the rest of the house and has no sheer wall to speak of so it will separate in an earthquake. That cute deck has no sheer protection and will be on the ground as will the stairs.
2. The roof overhang is unsupported mass that will separate and fall in with a quake.
3. The house is surrounded on three sides with forest and underbrush - it won't survive a fire. The siding appears to be cedar, which looks nice but will burn fast.
4. There are too many windows and they are too large. That weakens the wall structure in lateral movement.
On the good side it is protected from the wind on three sides but the exposed side has that roof overhang which will peal off in a strong wind.
Another good point is the house sits on high, level, ground so floods, avalanche and landslides are not likely to be a problem.

My life experience comes from living in an earthquake zone where floods and mudslides were annual events. Wind was less of a concern but we did have some storms and even a few small tornadoes. I am not usually so vocal about inadequacies but that house looks so good in that setting that I wonder if it would be a good shelter-in-place home. Seismic ties hidden in the walls tying the roof to the foundation slab would make it more quake resistant. Having 3/4" sheathing and type X sheet-rock under the siding and if the siding was fire resistant Hardie board stained to look like cedar then fire would be less of a concern although the area around the house should be clear of combustibles out to 100 yards. I am assuming that the foundation walls are reinforced with rebar and the home is at least bolted to the walls.

I guess that shows what I prefer in a home.

Suck it up buttercup...pull up your big girl panties.

Bet you wish you had a toilet seat heater too.

That long walk to outhouse , with flashlight , at 1am is living life man.
Hmmm...I never thought of a toilet seat heater, but that's not a bad idea...
:lil guy:
:LOL:

Jim
View attachment 26206
Well, I never thought of a toilet seat heater, but that's not a bad idea...

Being picky is fine long as you prepare for times it doesn't work.mama was picky till the power went off or points stuck in pump house then it was back to basics,outhouse, drawing water,etc,etc,etc,.
This is why I worked so hard years ago in putting in a cistern at the top of our property, no power needed for water pressure, the only thing I haven't done yet is to have a lot of schedule 40 plastic pipe on hand and glue in case of earthquake breakage. So far we have felt next to nothing when earthquakes have happened in other areas fairly near to us, but a huge Cascade slippage could be a game changer, oh well, I've been through a few "This is it Lord." times when I thought my end was soon to come, so I think I'm prepared as best as I can for that event, meanwhile, we'll enjoy what we've built, as it is our castle. That and I keep telling my wife that there are a lot of people in this world without bathrooms, kitchens and comfortable living spaces, truth is, we are very blessed to have what we have and live where we live and we are still free.

Yall will have a real rude awakening in a shtf event.Just be sure it is all solid wood so you don't breathe plastic fumes and pass out when you use it to keep from freezing.
Lol Meer, you do understand that I work outside all year round, and if I need to use the bathroom it's either use a portajohn in 100° or -20° weather, or go in the weeds in those temps. I can handle it if I need to. I just don't like it...

This is why I worked so hard years ago in putting in a cistern at the top of our property, no power needed for water pressure, the only thing I haven't done yet is to have a lot of schedule 40 plastic pipe on hand and glue in case of earthquake breakage. So far we have felt next to nothing when earthquakes have happened in other areas fairly near to us, but a huge Cascade slippage could be a game changer, oh well, I've been through a few "This is it Lord." times when I thought my end was soon to come, so I think I'm prepared as best as I can for that event, meanwhile, we'll enjoy what we've built, as it is our castle. That and I keep telling my wife that there are a lot of people in this world without bathrooms, kitchens and comfortable living spaces, truth is, we are very blessed to have what we have and live where we live and we are still free.

Viking sometimes we don't realize how blessed we are .
I had to look it up,

iu

My husband has a toilet seat light.
For ease in nighttime use.
I have seat heaters in my Challenger.
I just bought 2 of those. I put 1 on the toilet and 1 on my wife's side of the bed so it comes on when she gets up. Stays on for 2 minutes. Multicolors but you can pick your favorite and it will not cycle.
My F150 has heated and air-conditioned seats in the front, but the back has heated only.

Jim,
I have drove by that cabin 100's of time. Know exactly where it is. Wife and I had thoughts of getting married there back in the day. Drove by one halloween and it was lit enternally with candles.

BTW the way, it is located in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. named the Dan Lawson Cabin. Has a nice little creek out back and almost always see a deer or two around there. Picture was taken from the little parking lot.

Latest posts

Back