The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
86757838_2736964309902938_2744816012921667584_o.jpg

I like this one! Log on concrete
84524997_209391823544367_1363822154736084906_n-jpg.35449

Last edited:
Many homes are built without consideration of water, snow, slides, winds, fire, or earthquakes which is why most of those shown don't appeal to me. Anything with a stone foundation will crumble, stone walls and chimneys will come down, large wall openings restrict the shear area of walls to fight wind and ground shaking and wall openings on a first level with a second story are one of the worst situations in high wind or quake zones.
Code requires a minimum of 6 feet of uninterrupted wall on both sides of a corner for shear walls and 5 foot minimum of wall on either side of openings (doors and windows). Best practices require a rectangular floor plan with intersecting walls no more than 24 feet apart to support exterior walls. Porches and other "jutouts" have to have the inside corners reinforced and built on the same foundation as the rest of the home to prevent tearing at the inside corners. Minimum code requires the walls to be bolted to the foundation at 6 foot intervals and no more than 8 inches from corners.

All states do not use all these codes as they accept some and dismiss others. All I can say is that minimum code is not "good enough" in most areas. (not good enough for me under any circumstances)

Back