The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from Garp, this will be my first post here and I thought I would show a few pics of my house in Hungary, before and after...
old garden.JPGnew garden.JPGtulip season.JPG
The house was built 120 years ago and stayed in the family till the grandmother died and we bought it back in 2015. Brick and cob, 24 inch thick cob walls and 12 inch thick dirt insulation up in the attic. Chicken coop, pig pen, smoke house, water well, fruit and nut trees, grape vines, wine cellar, brand new roof, double pane glass windows and everything inside is new now: water, electric and gas with wood heating extra...gonna die here I hope...live free, GP

Last edited:
We only heat the dining room and the warmth spreads thoughout the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and stays around 65°. In summer, we open the doors and windows to let the cool night air in, shut up around 8:30 and it stays at about 60° all day when over 100° outside. (20° C at 40° outside). No cheap insulation outside and no Air-conditioner needed!! The living room is only wood heated in winter and stays the coolest room all summer.

Last edited:
I always dreamed that I would build a cabin some day and live in it so I guess this is the home of my dreams.
Took me 7 years of every spare minute. Only power tool was my chain saw. I had help a total of 5 days.
001 (6).JPG
011 (3).JPG
001 (6).JPG
011 (3).JPG

I used to dream about building a cabin and living in it so I guess this is the home of my dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always dreamed that I would build a cabin some day and live in it so I guess this is the home of my dreams.
Took me 7 years of every spare minute. Only power tool was my chain saw. I had help a total of 5 days.View attachment 59981View attachment 59982View attachment 59981View attachment 59982
I used to dream about building a cabin and living in it so I guess this is the home of my dreams.
As my Pa would say- you must have used your finishing chainsaw 😁

Latest posts

Back