The home of my dreams

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
View attachment 62975View attachment 62976
I read in an old journal about a brother and sister both staking claims on adjoining properties & built the cabin on the property line with a door at each end to meet the requirements of the claims but only having to build 1 building. I had never seen (that I recalled) such a structure. Just ran across a couple :)
Those type cabins are called Dog Trot cabins. I assume cause a dog can trot between them. Typical use was living area on one side, summer kitchen on the other.
Amazing what you learn watching Barnwood Builders.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Those type cabins are called Dog Trot cabins. I assume cause a dog can trot between them. Typical use was living area on one side, summer kitchen on the other.
Amazing what you learn watching Barnwood Builders.
I "dug a little" after posting to see what I could find out and read that. I've never heard of Barnwood Builders but sounds like a good one. Love morsels of info. like that!

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You just look at those "cliffs" incorrectly. See, they are really called "alibis" when solicitors or unwanted visitors show up 😂
I'm just clumsy enough to be the one to fall off!!

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
View attachment 62975View attachment 62976
I read in an old journal about a brother and sister both staking claims on adjoining properties & built the cabin on the property line with a door at each end to meet the requirements of the claims but only having to build 1 building. I had never seen (that I recalled) such a structure. Just ran across a couple :)
This style is called "dog trot".

Latest posts