The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LadyLocust It almost looks like a day bed, window should be a little lower though. The wood work is beautiful.

The old house I grew up in (destroyed by tornado) was built from southern heart pine, 8inch V joint. It covered all walls and ceilings.

My grandfather wanted some of the wood in the new house. The hallway is done in the best of it that could be salvaged.

My grandpa and I built a new hay barn that summer. The floor of the barn was the rest of the heart pine that wasn't so nice. It was still the prettiest barn floor I've ever seen.

Funny, the floor was very slippery when I brought in sq bales. Almost like ice when it got hay dust on it.

Here is my hall...

Gun Rack b (1) a.JPG

@LadyLocust It almost looks like a day bed, window should be a little lower though. The wood work is beautiful.

The old house I grew up in (destroyed by tornado) was built from southern heart pine, 8inch V joint. It covered all walls and ceilings.

My grandfather wanted some of the wood in the new house. The hallway is done in the best of it that could be salvaged.

My grandpa and I built a new hay barn that summer. The floor of the barn was the rest of the heart pine that wasn't so nice. It was still the prettiest barn floor I've ever seen.

Funny, the floor was very slippery when I brought in sq bales. Almost like ice when it got hay dust on it.

Here is my hall...

View attachment 77993
I like wood walls. Our upstairs here is all wood & I'm always comfortable up there. If we ever find a place and get to build, my goal is no paint anywhere. Once you paint, you have to keep painting.
Say, whatchya got there on the wall - coatrack? ;)

Those fracture cracks fill with water and then freeze making the fracture grow. It is a sure bet that the house will be wearing those rocks eventually.

Awe, for me? and it's not even my birthday.
Why thank ye.

Is that for sale?
It is but I think the price is outrageous: More pictures on facebook.

For The Love Of Old Houses
Yla8eg0cste2trdhSapoyn0f o6at 8:583 8AldM ·

1531 Old Ridge Road, Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465
c.1750. 936 square feet. 2 bedrooms 1 bath. Lot 4913 sqft. $280,000! Thanks to Carol for sending this one in!
Enjoy old world charm in this historic home (circa 1750) in the community of Coventryville in the desirable Owen J Roberts School District. Many original historic features abound such as deep set windows with true divided light, random width hardwood floors, wide molding, curved stairways (known as winders) with hardwood treads, solid wood doors and exposed stone walls. The old is combined with the new as the kitchen has been updated with granite counters, custom cabinetry, tile backsplash and stainless appliances. The second floor bathroom has a newer vanity and plumbing fixtures as well as updated lighting . The HVAC system was replaced with an electric heat pump and central AC in 2014. The hot water heater was installed in 2016. A wood stove in the basement supplements the heat pump. A second floor laundry has been conveniently added off of the hallway. An inviting front covered porch with brick walkway, a private back paver patio and a back yard complete this adorable property. Major arteries such as routes 23 and 100 are close by this historic home where old meets new in lovely South Coventry Township.
☎
🏡
📷
Stoltzfus Realtors 610-476-1034

We finished building our dream house about a year ago. It's a little small at 1700 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. Large wrap around covered deck on the front and side and a large rear deck, all redwood. The house sits back 2 miles from the county road with 3 gates, 2 of which have solar powered electric openers. I built a large barn, shop, chicken coop, pig pen, fur shed, wood shed, tool shed, pump house, solar electric system, feed lot and a working corral. The perimeter fence was in bad repair when we bought the place so I spent 6 months and about 700 fence posts to get it cattle tight. Since then I've added another mile or so of interior fencing. Our well is 650 feet deep and puts out 26 gpm of the best tasting water. We also have a spring fed pond that I've stocked with bluegill and catfish.

Update:
We have true hardwood floors, custom granite counter tops, solid hickory cabinets, tile floors in the master bath, custom tile shower, and large jetted tub.
We heat with a wood stove but I also installed a forced air gas furnace with heat pump and AC. Everything is powered by solar, with a backup diesel generator.

Last edited:

c.1750. 936 square feet. 2 bedrooms 1 bath. Lot 4913 sqft. $280,000! Thanks to Carol for sending this one in!
Enjoy old world charm in this historic home (circa 1750) in the community of Coventryville in the desirable Owen J Roberts School District. Many original historic features abound such as deep set windows with true divided light, random width hardwood floors, wide molding, curved stairways (known as winders) with hardwood treads, solid wood doors and exposed stone walls. The old is combined with the new as the kitchen has been updated with granite counters, custom cabinetry, tile backsplash and stainless appliances. The second floor bathroom has a newer vanity and plumbing fixtures as well as updated lighting . The HVAC system was replaced with an electric heat pump and central AC in 2014. The hot water heater was installed in 2016. A wood stove in the basement supplements the heat pump. A second floor laundry has been conveniently added off of the hallway. An inviting front covered porch with brick walkway, a private back paver patio and a back yard complete this adorable property. Major arteries such as routes 23 and 100 are close by this historic home where old meets new in lovely South Coventry Township.
☎
🏡
📷
I'll have to look when I get home. I like to see the layout of old places.

☎
🏡
📷
Great old house, good layout - easy to maintain. But the lot is tiny and it's sandwiched between NYC and Philly which isn't my idea of rural.

I will never make it happen, but if I could, it would be one like this setting secluded on the side of Smokey mountains.
View attachment 25403

Also being more laid back and simple in my later years, I could
Settle for this one.
View attachment 25402

Bet y'all don't like log houses

Jim
Oh, contrary my friend, I love the beauty of raw wood. The interior trim and our kitchen cabinets in our home are out of oak, my favorite wood. Wife and I talked about building a log home, in those days, one could order a log home kit from Montana, the logs were pre-assembled, numbered and sent to your building site, at that time we just didn't have the money and didn't want to get stuck with debt and interest. We ended up building our home by sections and we're happy with what we have, thank God.

I was thinking a hang glider for getting down after the stairs were blown...

I live in the woods. Don't even have a back yard just woods. I made a horrible mistake though. I builthink a white house which is always covered with mold and mildew. What was I thinking? The pressure washer is my friend.

I delivered a load of firewood to a guy in a large sub-division after dark once. All the streets curved and it was raining and cold, I couldn't find my way out after dropping off the wood.

I remembered a book by Harold Gatty written in the 50's, a world famous navigator, "how to find your way without map or compass". Here, my prevailing winds/rains are from the southwest... So mildew is worst on the southwest corner of houses.

I rolled my window down, used a flashlight to look at the eves of houses. Got my bearings and found my way out of that sub-division using the mildew as my compass!

“Finding your way without Map or Compass” by Harold Gatty

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back