The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1615512127309.jpg

Jim

Main floor.
Floors are stone or slate with in floor hot water heat.
Gas fireplace right center.
Beamed loft ceiling above the living and dining rooms.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.31.13 PM.png

Second floor.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.31.33 PM.png

Walkway between the house and the garage. Under the walkway and between the house and the garage is a root cellar.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.31.47 PM.png

Mongolian Traditional Ger/Yurt | eBay

I would have liked to live a long time ago when nomads could still travel around in these (a few still do in Mongolia) with a herd of goats, sheep, horses, yaks whatever. One set of great grandparents where actually European Roma ( gypsies), maybe that is why. But that is no longer possible, especially not in the US where all land is owned by someone and there are fences everywhere

For the upstairs, I would give up some of that closet space for a bathroom. And a door on the bathroom in the walkway would be welcome too.

I like the overall layout. Although my dream home would be a single story.
Upstairs looks like it has a lot of closet space. Pitch of the roof will take most of that away. I'm building a scale model so I can play around with the layout and actually "see".

Upstairs looks like it has a lot of closet space.
OK. They look pretty huge in your floor layout. Fine for the ladies. But me? I could get all my clothes in there, build a man cave in there, set up a handgun practice range, and probably park the truck in there too. I don't need a whole lot of closet space for myself.

I do like the entire upstairs being one big master suite though. Nice design!

I like this one (my kind of porch!), but I wonder about the thing being built over water - or very close to it. Sometimes those muddy/marshy areas around the edge of a lake can get kind of stinky. And full of bugs. And not always aesthetically pleasing to the eye as nature's creatures make it their home (snakes, dead fish, algae bubbling with swamp gases and such).

I like this one (my kind of porch!), but I wonder about the thing being built over water - or very close to it. Sometimes those muddy/marshy areas around the edge of a lake can get kind of stinky. And full of bugs. And not always aesthetically pleasing to the eye as nature's creatures make it their home (snakes, dead fish, algae bubbling with swamp gases and such).

God knows you ain't a southern hillbilly.

Jim

Which song?

"In the Pines", made famous by Bill Monroe (among others). Who knows where it really came from, experts claim it's actually a song "cluster" from the southern Appalachia. The last time I heard Bill sing it live was in a small theater in Chicago, about 1984. However, I always preferred Ralph and Carter Stanley's version of it. Alison Krauss also does a beautiful version. Despite being surrounded by hardwoods this cabin reminds me of that song. Maybe it's all the pine used to build the cabin.

Last edited:
Back