The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1617677516850.png

View attachment 62975View attachment 62976
I read in an old journal about a brother and sister both staking claims on adjoining properties & built the cabin on the property line with a door at each end to meet the requirements of the claims but only having to build 1 building. I had never seen (that I recalled) such a structure. Just ran across a couple :)
Those type cabins are called Dog Trot cabins. I assume cause a dog can trot between them. Typical use was living area on one side, summer kitchen on the other.
Amazing what you learn watching Barnwood Builders.

Those type cabins are called Dog Trot cabins. I assume cause a dog can trot between them. Typical use was living area on one side, summer kitchen on the other.
Amazing what you learn watching Barnwood Builders.
I "dug a little" after posting to see what I could find out and read that. I've never heard of Barnwood Builders but sounds like a good one. Love morsels of info. like that!

View attachment 62975View attachment 62976
I read in an old journal about a brother and sister both staking claims on adjoining properties & built the cabin on the property line with a door at each end to meet the requirements of the claims but only having to build 1 building. I had never seen (that I recalled) such a structure. Just ran across a couple :)
This style is called "dog trot".

I like the barn idea, but why oh why black? It's awful. Do they not understand black is the color of death. I don't get too worked up about it but do shake my head. There is a church here in town "Church of Life" that is black - color of death. That actually kinda makes me laugh, an oxymoron.

Back