The last house I will build! (Project)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@gumpy that is beautiful it won't be that long until you finish the house :) , then the time consuming bit of building interior walls, plaster boarding and building kitchens and bathrooms and so on. Bet your wife is over the moon happy with your progress.

There won't be any sheetrock. The ceilings will be shiplap 1x10 and the walls will be too. Almost finished the North end today. O had to stop and build a scaffold
A neighbor came by and called it a "widow maker"! Haha

Forgive my ignorance, but I do not know your climate ... do you have to vapor barrier and insulate everything like we do up here?

Sure. I'm putting R60 in the attic, R13 in the walls, and R19 under the floor. I put a vapor barrier on the ground under the floor, vapor barrier staples not ceiling hoist on the overhead, and use housewrap to wrap the entire exterior walls.

20180419_121200_HDR.jpg

This is what I finished today and am up to the window on the other end.

I am just amazed at how much you get done. Are you sleeping better? If I was doing all of that, I would be sleeping well, unless I was hurting from the work.

I'm sleeping some better. Doc changed my medicine twice. The first was to strong! I was a zombie. This combination I'm on now seems to work better.

Time to get out of bed and hit it. 0638 @ 33°! I had to cover the strawberries again last night. Where is spring?

20180424_141637.jpg
20180419_121200_HDR.jpg

Finally finished the North and South ends. Started the front of the house this morning.
Making your own wood siding is very labor intensive. On the front I've decided to herring bone shiplap siding in the porch area and both sides of the house not covered by the porch will match the ends of the house.
I've gotten about 1/2 of the wire pulled and haven't even started the plumbing!
Will it ever get finished? Lol

I like it.
Great job!

Thank you. Some days you work and work and can't see that you've done anything. Other days you can see progress. It's raining again today so its a good day to do electrical work.

I'm curious. How are you preventing water intrusion around the windows. I know nothing about the type of siding you are using.

I remembered to take pictures finally.
20180428_083931.jpg

Use house wrap and seal window opening with quality sealant.
20180428_093319.jpg

Fasten window in opening level. Then apply more sealant on top of nailing flange. (I use screws)
20180428_093557.jpg

Predrill and hand nail or screw base of trim over nail flange.
20180428_094651.jpg

Here it is installed
20180428_123636.jpg

Butt lap siding(mine is handmade) and seal with sealant
20180428_123654.jpg

Seal inside and outside of window to trim base.
20180419_121200_HDR.jpg

Then trim to your taste. I opted for unmitered, square cut to compliment the old style I'm trying to pattern the house after.

Everyone probably wouldn't go thru this much trouble, but I like things done permanently.

I have been looking around lately for a homesite with home attached in a less populated setting. You would not believe the % of houses that we have seen which have damage from water intrusion! Gump seems to be taking more pains to safe up his home than most of these contractor or as I call them "Bubba Built" homes. The mold and rot is almost revolting.

20180424_111844.jpg

This is what the siding looks like. All it is is 1x10 rough sawn lumber (actual size 1 1/4" thick and 10 1/4" wide, with a 1/2" rabbit routered on one side. The wood for the inside of the house will be routered on both sides opposite each other for shiplap.

I have been looking around lately for a homesite with home attached in a less populated setting. You would not believe the % of houses that we have seen which have damage from water intrusion! Gump seems to be taking more pains to safe up his home than most of these contractor or as I call them "Bubba Built" homes. The mold and rot is almost revolting.

You should have seen the place we are rebuilding. The propane hot water heater was hanging from the vent pipe. The floor and joists under it were completely rotted out. When we cut the vent the tank dropped through the floor all the way to the ground.

Latest posts

Back