the lost ways

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't heard of it either... I just read the reviews on amazon... They weren't favorable but let us know what you think! :)

I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. I once read one where a lady rated a product poorly because she had trouble opening the packaging....

I rarely order a book until there are at least 100 reviews on amazon, then I can get a good feel for a book.

any of you guys ever checked out the lost ways by claude davis? don't know anything about him but i ordered it today.

Timmie,
Wonder what you thought of that book. Was it just a scam? I recall seeing ads that were these long drawn out things which typically scream some sort of scam or someone repackaging every day common things and making it sounds like the cure all for everyone and everything.

I picked up a copy of Lost Ways 2 and found it pretty good. Amazon has crazy prices for it, but it’s available from the author for about $40. Initially I was going to resell it, but it would be a good addition to the library. It covers charcoal making and it’s importance, uses of activated charcoal for air and water filters, lots of valuable plants with half page color pictures, how to make a well, how to build a log cabin, and more. Well written, and not overly wordy.
Plenty of things to make you think, and useful tips. Practical.
edit-askaprepper.com, the author’s site for books and more info

Last edited:
I picked up a copy of Lost Ways 2 and found it pretty good. Amazon has crazy prices for it, but it’s available from the author for about $40. Initially I was going to resell it, but it would be a good addition to the library. It covers charcoal making and it’s importance, uses of activated charcoal for air and water filters, lots of valuable plants with half page color pictures, how to make a well, how to build a log cabin, and more. Well written, and not overly wordy.
There have been some BBC series that seem fitting to mention here. The Victorian Farm, The Edwardian Farm, The Tudor Farm, and The Wartime Farm. They are primarily the same folks with a few exceptions. Some of the things they do and learn are pretty interesting. Oddly, The Edwardian Farm which is typically one of my favorite eras, was my least favorite. Still interesting, but didn't seem laid out as well. Anyhoo, they are available to watch on YT if you are interested. Hope that's not too off topic.

I have the 1st book and like it very well. I need to see about getting one from the author. No way am I paying $120 to Amazon for it.
Sounds similar to the Foxfire series

I have the 1st book and like it very well. I need to see about getting one from the author. No way am I paying $120 to Amazon for it.
Sounds similar to the Foxfire series
I have or had most of the Foxfire books. They were easy for me to let go. They were interesting, and had some practical things in them, but not worth the overall keeping, to me. What I liked best about Foxfire was that kids were connected to their community and it’s seniors as a learning project. That benefitted everyone, and made school much better.

Another good one is:
Complete Foxfire Series 14-Book Collection Set with Anniversary Editions (Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12

I’ve been a subscriber to The Backwoodsman Magazine for 25 years.
Not to be confused with any other publications with “backwoods” in the title.
This is all about old time ways, pioneering, etc.
They have a few staff editors, but most content is written by the readers. Their projects, their experiences, and more.
Every serious homesteader should be reading this magazine.
I have every issue going back to 1990 and frequently re-read them. Where else will I find an article on making black powder from chicken manure?
https://backwoodsmanmag.com

I read both, Kroger seems to have quit carrying them or I'm there at the wrong time one.

Latest posts

Back