The next generation

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's out there...

THIS IS HOW BAD IT IS OUT THERE...

So I am at Walmart scanning and bagging my almost $300 worth of groceries while the employee that wants $15 an hour "monitors" and then this happened.
Her - why are you double bagging all of your groceries?
Me - excuse me?
Her - you are wasting our bags!
Me - if you don't like the way I'm bagging the groceries, feel free to come on over here and bag them yourself.
Her - that's not my job!
Me - okay, then I will bag my groceries how I please if that's all right with you.
Her - why are you using two bags?!
Me - because the bags are weak and I don't want the handles to break or the bottoms to rip out.
Her - well that's because you are putting too much stuff in the bag. If you took half of that stuff out and put it in a different bag then you wouldn't need to double bag.
*10 seconds of me just staring at her.
Me - so you want me to split these items in half and put half of them in a different bag so that I don't have to double bag.
Her - exactly.
Me - so I would still be using two bags to hold the same number of items.
Her - no because you wouldn't be double bagging.
*me pressing two fingers to my left eye in an attempt to make it stop twitching.
Me - okay so here I have a jug of milk and a bottle of juice double bagged. If I take the milk out and remove the double bagging and just put the milk in the single bag and the juice in that single bag I'm still using two bags for these two items.
Her- no because you are not double bagging them so it's not the same number of bags.
*me looking around at about 10 other customers who at this point are enjoying the show.
Me- is this like that Common Core math stuff I keep hearing about?
Her- never mind you just don't get it.
And with that she went back to her little Podium so she could continue texting or playing games on her phone or whatever it was she was doing before she decided to come over and critique my bagging skills.

Jim

Excuse me. That sounds like time for a MAJOR Gibbs slap

Jim, that is an absolute classic. Almost as funny as watching them try to make change when the Register doesn't work. You don't know whether to laugh or cry. I guess we have to laugh because we are to big to cry.

A few years ago , I was building a piece of furniture for some friends.
They stopped by one day just before I was finished .

The wife asked , how do you know , or where did you learn to make such a beautiful piece?

I simply replied ....I made 5 ugly ones first .

Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

I've always also had the Philosophy ,,,,if it's broke and I try to fix it , but can't, it's still broke , I'm where I started.
If I try to fix it and I do....I just learned how to fix something.

Jim

We now have 3 spots to fill at work. I have had unemployment ad. and Craigslist ad. up 1 week and Indeed for 2-3 days. Zero inquiries. They are still getting and extra $300 per week unemployment - why work if you can play video games instead? They are still housed because landlords aren't permitted to evict people still and "Food Stamps" cover grub, the Unemployment check gets to go for whatever else.
PS- starting pay $17-$28/hr DOE & min. wage here is $13.69/hr. which is what we pay the HS kid to sweep our floor.

I stopped in at the local tractor supply and a big sign out front hiring 600$ sign on bonus. The lady at the counter said they have had 0 applicants in a week. If I didn’t have the benefits at my current job I’d be applying for that!

Not to derail this thread, but I would like to point out there are a whole lot of millenials who have their stuff together and it's great to see!

That said, keep the stories about the morons coming because they're funny! As for the morons who won't apply for a job, that's the fault of government. Why work when you don't have to? That's the question of lazy slugs the world over. But when the government spigot runs dry, they're the ones with nothing and no experience.

Not to derail this thread, but I would like to point out there are a whole lot of millenials who have their stuff together and it's great to see!

That said, keep the stories about the morons coming because they're funny! As for the morons who won't apply for a job, that's the fault of government. Why work when you don't have to? That's the question of lazy slugs the world over. But when the government spigot runs dry, they're the ones with nothing and no experience.
I appreciate you saying that I am considered a “millennial “ but I go to work everyday and tend to the critters and just be the best husband and dad I can be.

@bkt is correct, there are a few really good millenials. One of the best track laborers on my railroad is a 34 year old. But he gets really mad if you call him a millenial. Likewise, I have 8 nieces and nephews who are all millenials or very early Gen Z, and they all have their act together for the most part - 3 teachers, an Air Force nurse, an agronomist, a trucker, a linguist, and a nutritionist at Johns Hopkins.

However, at my job, there aren't many millenials. They just don't make it, for two reasons. One, railroaders will hurt your feelings and then laugh at you for having feelings. Two, you work in the crap - hot, cold, wind, rain, snow, early mornings, late nights, all night, inner cities and the middle of nowhere. Ain't no Starbucks out on the tracks, snowflake. And they just can't deal...

We had a 30 something that if he could stay off the drugs was ok. Not overly ambitious but reasonably intelligent. Had to be let go over work and drug habits. We have an 18 year old that is polar opposite. On time every day, hard working, attending college in between. In both of these cases they display their upbringing.

It's out there...

THIS IS HOW BAD IT IS OUT THERE...

So I am at Walmart scanning and bagging my almost $300 worth of groceries while the employee that wants $15 an hour "monitors" and then this happened.
Her - why are you double bagging all of your groceries?
Me - excuse me?
Her - you are wasting our bags!
Me - if you don't like the way I'm bagging the groceries, feel free to come on over here and bag them yourself.
Her - that's not my job!
Me - okay, then I will bag my groceries how I please if that's all right with you.
Her - why are you using two bags?!
Me - because the bags are weak and I don't want the handles to break or the bottoms to rip out.
Her - well that's because you are putting too much stuff in the bag. If you took half of that stuff out and put it in a different bag then you wouldn't need to double bag.
*10 seconds of me just staring at her.
Me - so you want me to split these items in half and put half of them in a different bag so that I don't have to double bag.
Her - exactly.
Me - so I would still be using two bags to hold the same number of items.
Her - no because you wouldn't be double bagging.
*me pressing two fingers to my left eye in an attempt to make it stop twitching.
Me - okay so here I have a jug of milk and a bottle of juice double bagged. If I take the milk out and remove the double bagging and just put the milk in the single bag and the juice in that single bag I'm still using two bags for these two items.
Her- no because you are not double bagging them so it's not the same number of bags.
*me looking around at about 10 other customers who at this point are enjoying the show.
Me- is this like that Common Core math stuff I keep hearing about?
Her- never mind you just don't get it.
And with that she went back to her little Podium so she could continue texting or playing games on her phone or whatever it was she was doing before she decided to come over and critique my bagging skills.

Jim

That sounds about right. Critical thinking skills are no longer subject matter for learning, lol.

...The wife asked , how do you know , or where did you learn to make such a beautiful piece?

I simply replied ....I made 5 ugly ones first ....

First thing out a in-law's mouth is "I can't do that." When I ask them, "How do you know you can't, have you tried?." They get mad and walk away.

In both of these cases they display their upbringing.
And that's it right there. In fact, upbringing covers a whole bunch of issues we're seeing every day in the news.

It is a right brain, left brain thing. My son explained college math to his sister who was in College, he was freshman in high school.
The problem is it is harder to learn, easier to use a cell phone or get by with a calculator/computer.
It is hard for me to draw a picture, forget painting it. For some it just as hard as drawing & painting for other to do math.
Add to that machines making it easy & no one try long hand anymore.
It is harder for a prepper to understand, because we can start a fire with rocks or rubbing sticks together.
Everybody else use matches & lighters.
I find a lot of things, that I grew up doing is uncommon now, am I just old or do parents not teach their children how to do for themselves.
My son taught a 17 year old guy how to change a car on his own car.

I appreciate you saying that I am considered a “millennial “ but I go to work everyday and tend to the critters and just be the best husband and dad I can be.

We’re defining Millennials as those born between 1981–1997. This means that in 2021, Millennials will be in the 24-40 range.

Members of Gen Z are those born between 1997 and 2015. This puts the age group for Gen Z’ers in the range of 6-24 years old in 2021.

That is why the generations today each span 15 years with Generation Y (Millennials) born from 1980 to 1994; Generation Z from 1995 to 2009 and Generation Alpha from 2010 to 2024. And so it follows that Generation Beta will be born from 2025 to 2039.

When I think of Millennial I think of a college kid fresh out of high school, Man! I am getting old.

We’re defining Millennials as those born between 1981–1997. This means that in 2021, Millennials will be in the 24-40 range.

Members of Gen Z are those born between 1997 and 2015. This puts the age group for Gen Z’ers in the range of 6-24 years old in 2021.

That is why the generations today each span 15 years with Generation Y (Millennials) born from 1980 to 1994; Generation Z from 1995 to 2009 and Generation Alpha from 2010 to 2024. And so it follows that Generation Beta will be born from 2025 to 2039.

When I think of Millennial I think of a college kid fresh out of high school, Man! I am getting old.
I fall right in the middle of the millennial generation (1990) But I agree with you. Reading about them I think of the Gen z’s

Latest posts

Back