The "Nicest" and most "Wonderful" people you have been around was...."WHERE"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
The "Nicest" and most "Wonderful" humans you have been around was "WHERE".......??? Not family, some other choice.
Think carefully before choosing.

For me.......was clearly the people of the South Island of New Zealand.

Last edited:
Perth, Australia. The most friendly people I have ever met. Everyone wanted to talk to you and you could not pay for a beer. We rode a train from Freemantle to Perth and the kids took the train to school. They had a million questions and were very interested in hearing about America.
I would love to go back but I never will.

Corozal Belize Those folks took me into their homes and treated me like family when I was a young man.
South Island of New Zealand, many people would take me to their home and treat me like family, and I was 43 year old man. I spent 30 days hitch-hiking and trekking allover that Island with the world smallest daypack.

I came to a tiny town about mid way down the East Coast........and it had a "Bank of New Zealand" branch, I went in and opened a savings account and post dated five weeks into the future, a check for $30,000.00 Yankee Dollars.

Last edited:
I was driving thru a small city in the S/E corner of Tennessee. I stopped my rental car to fix the cord on my cell phone charger. A guy pulled over (my rental car had out of state plates) and asked if he could help us. I told him my issue, and he offered me his cord. I declined but asked where the nearest store was, where I could buy a new cord. The guy told me to follow him to a small hardware store. He walked us inside and introduced us to the owner. I asked for a car charger for my phone, and he said they were awfully expensive ($11?) and told me to just take it out of the box, and charge my phone using the store's electricity. I politely declined, and purchased the cord. Damn, those folks from Tennessee are awesome!

Every town I went to in Nova Scotia, just great people. The people in Norway seemed just as nice but its hard to tell when you don't speak the language, they could be cursing you. :rolleyes: Norway or Nova Scotia, toss up, had more fun in Nova Scotia because I spoke the same language. People in St John New Brunswick were great also.

Hmm. Other than family is tough. I mostly spend my time with family, so my choices are limited.
I will say my current boss and co-workers. It's a very small center so we maintaining a good relationship is a must. But they are genuinely kind and understanding, supportive in many ways. And still pretty blunt, which I love.

I'm not gonna lie, their level of niceness is sometimes a lot for me but I do have to be grateful for having met people like them.

I really think I have never found nicer people than those I find in the more "tucked away" places of Alaska. Salt of the earth good people who will always lend a hand with a warm smile.

Thinking worldwide I would have to say the Netherlands. People were very friendly, and not only willing, but encouraged you to speak English, so they could practice. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Closer to home the people in Washington, MO are very, very nice. Maybe Joel can weigh in after his recent trip.

Park City, Montana.
The nicest folks I have had the pleasure to meet.

Folks in Cheyenne, WY are the friendliest I've been around.
I second this. Eastern Wyoming, from Cheyenne up to Torrington, and down to Pine Bluffs, probably has the most polite, nicest people I've ever met. Other than that, Iowa ranks pretty high on the list, along with Minnesota. They don't call us "Iowa Nice" for no reason...😁

I second this. Eastern Wyoming, from Cheyenne up to Torrington, and down to Pine Bluffs, probably has the most polite, nicest people I've ever met. Other than that, Iowa ranks pretty high on the list, along with Minnesota. They don't call us "Iowa Nice" for no reason...😁

Ben

I've met the best of the best people in the world in my hometown, New Orleans.

The joie de vivre and goodness shines through from every corner of that city. Our music kind of goes hand in hand with joy (and nice folks).

Looksee: Joie de vivre here, there, and everywhere.

Joie de vivre.png

There's just no telling where our sons and daughters will play... musicians will set up on street corners, at bus stops, or just about anywhere at any time with no prior announcements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtyQ8OdTx0

Racism? What's that? Something to dance to? Here is a typical mixed race crowd waiting for a parade to pass by... Haha, an officer of the New Orleans Police Department decides to join in the fun (and also decides to not to notice the various libations that abound, lol. He could have busted most of them...but not today.)

Last edited:

The joie de vivre and goodness shines through from every corner of that city. Our music kind of goes hand in hand with joy (and nice folks).

View attachment 68287.

There's just no telling where our sons and daughters will play... musicians will set up on street corners, at bus stops, or just about anywhere at any time with no prior announcements:

Racism? What's that? Something to dance to? Here is a typical mixed race crowd waiting for a parade to pass by... Haha, an officer of the New Orleans Police Department decides to join in the fun (and also decides to not to notice the various libations that abound, lol. He
could have busted most of them...but not today.)

Your post made me smile!

View attachment 68287.

Racism? What's that? Something to dance to? Here is a typical mixed race crowd waiting for a parade to pass by... Haha, an officer of the New Orleans Police Department decides to join in the fun (and also decides to not to notice the various libations that abound, lol. He could have busted most of them...but not today.)

We lived about 2.5 or so hours upriver from New Orleans. Although I hate any city, we had wonderful visits to New Orleans during various festivals and to watch the Saints (My company had club level seats). Always fun. While Mardi Gras is nothing but pure debauchery, everyone should witness it at least once. One of the folks who worked for me was one of the grand framauge of Krewe de Bacchus and we got to attend some of that debauchery one year.

That said, I was still always thankful when we pulled out of the city in one piece! But fond memories for sure! I loved the true Cajun culture which was alive and well on the bayous of the delta.

Latest posts

Back