The night they drove ol' Dixie down

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't normally listen to country and all like that, seems a lot of folks here like it a lot. I do enjoy the Texas country sound.
Recently listening to The Band and didn't realize they were the ones who wrote and played Acadian Driftwood and The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down. I heard those so much when I was little, on the radio, etc. Both are fairly heart-breaking songs and I didn't see that anyone has posted a link for them. Some of the guys in The Band played with Dylan, there's quite a bit of rock and roll history associated with them.
Enjoy.

Since my NH has French Canadian ancestry, including from Nova Scotia and Ontario, I shudder to think this is what they most likely went through as expressed in Acadian Driftwood.

Joan Baez recorded The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Put some angst into it. Loved that gal - until she fell into Fonda's cesspool.

I don't normally listen to country and all like that, seems a lot of folks here like it a lot. I do enjoy the Texas country sound.
Recently listening to The Band and didn't realize they were the ones who wrote and played Acadian Driftwood and The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down. I heard those so much when I was little, on the radio, etc. Both are fairly heart-breaking songs and I didn't see that anyone has posted a link for them. Some of the guys in The Band played with Dylan, there's quite a bit of rock and roll history associated with them.
Enjoy.

Since my NH has French Canadian ancestry, including from Nova Scotia and Ontario, I shudder to think this is what they most likely went through as expressed in Acadian Driftwood.

Funny, I never considered any music by "The Band" country music. Maybe because I was raised in the South. Civil war history is a favorite of mine since numerous locations were within my reach.

Very historical song. I got to thinking about this song and my thoughts were that "The night that they actually "drove ole Dixie down" had to be the burning of Atlanta. However that took place in 1864.
This song is about the fall of Richmond Virginia at the end of the war, the capital of the South and what it meant to the South.
https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/reaction-fall-richmond
He mentions he served on the Danvillle train. It ran only within Virginia State lines:
https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Richmond_and_Danville_Railroad_During_the_Civil_War
Til Stoneman's Cavalry came and tore up the tracks again. Gen. Stoneman made numerous raids into the South.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/“till-stonemans-cavalry-came-and-tore-up-the-tracks-again”.111078/
Like my brother before me I took a rebel stand. Many families had to choose the side they would be on. Virginians had an extra hard time being such a Northern state in it's location.
Virgil quick come see, there goes Robert E. Lee. By April 9, Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse.
I don't mind choppin wood and I don't care if the money's no good. Cancellation of confederate dollars
Ya take what ya need and leave the rest. Union troops took everything from the civilian population. All food, well chains were cut, plantation homes burned and fields burnt and salted to not grow again for years to come.

In The Penguin Book of The American Civil War, historian Bruce Catton
ir
wrote:

“A Federal army trying to take Richmond could never be entirely secure until the Confederates were deprived of all use of the (fertile and productive) Shenandoah Valley, and it was up to Sheridan to deprive them of it. Grant’s instructions were grimly specific. He wanted the rich farmlands so thoroughly despoiled that the place could no longer support a Confederate army; he told Sheridan to devastate the whole area so thoroughly that a crow flying across the Valley would have to carry its own rations. This Sheridan set out to do…Few campaigns in the war aroused more bitterness than this one.”

Last edited:
Well, @JAC maybe I should have started another space and paragraph and been more specific. I didn't mean that The Band was country. I meant that the forum was country music-loving, but also that song was focused on the hot southern topic without it being in favor of one side or the other, in my opinion; written from the point of view of someone who was just another innocent bystander, IMHO.
I greatly appreciate the research and links you put in to your response since I am such a Virginian and too proud to let that go unannounced regardless of whether it outs my anonymity, exactly the Shenandoah Valley. My heart resides there along with the bones of my ancestors.
The Band was Canadian/American, as you well know, and I also considered them rock and roll.

@TBob : powerhouse guitarists there. You were there? We saw Stevie in DC in maybe 1978. Awesome concert. One of my faves cuz I could still hear afterwards.
He played before Stephen Stills. They played together at that concert.

I guess i need to download this one. Thx, to @VenomJockey

Archive.org (free downloads...just search for what you want.) Hack for youtube...type "ss" before the you in youtube and press enter,and it will take you to a site that will let you download tyhe youtube music in your browser for free.

But, I don't pay for it anyway. Is there something I'm missing? When I post stuff, it's free for everybody else, isn't it? I am wondering...bust my bubble. Tell me what's up wi' dat.

Stephen Stills is one of my favorite guitarists. I looked up an album of his that I had always enjoyed the cover song of...i assumed it was good but what do you think? I want to know. It got a bad review, the whole album.
Yes, I know he is probably politically far left but we're talking music right now.
I'll see if I can find it on the resource you included, @VenomJockey

Right By You, Stephen Stills

Well, now. I couldn't find it there, @VenomJockey . If you get the chance, listen to it, crank it up at the beginning, kind of hard to get into it unless you've got those first few measures. Might I add, Jimmy Page played in this song too. I guess if you are not a Stephen Stills fan, you probably will not like it.

Right By You, Stephen Stills

Well, now. I couldn't find it there, @VenomJockey . If you get the chance, listen to it, crank it up at the beginning, kind of hard to get into it unless you've got those first few measures. Might I add, Jimmy Page played in this song too. I guess if you are not a Stephen Stills fan, you probably will not like it.

Oh I posted that one recently, then removed it. I love that one too.
I like, I think it's called, Winchester Cathedral. Although I interpret it differently than Nash intended perhaps. "So many people have died in the name of Christ." I dont know if he understands why people would die for their belief.

Latest posts

Back