The night they drove ol' Dixie down

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To clarify, I know everybody here is smart but might not know (or even care) that the Southern Cross is a constellation of the Southern Hemisphere.

It was (and is) used as a guide by seafarers, including the islanders who settled Hawaii. Those islands being in the northern hemisphere, they lost that directional guide partway. There are theories and speculations. . .

. . . which time and memory's failings prevent me from passing on to you.

:ghostly:

Cool, but I thought visible from Northern Hemisphere when in Hawaii etc but is in Southern Hemisphere. Whatever. I just wanted to clarify it wasn't a religion thing having to do with the South of the U.S.
;)
It's weird how much we learn, we know, and have forgotten so much.:(

The British and the French reached an agreement and they didn't care at all about the people who were living there (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island). I didn't study it much but this is my impression. The agreement didn't include the Acadians staying there and they were chased off like the Native Americans were in U.S. Some went into Canada further (Quebec and Toronto). A lot of them didn't like it in the south and had cold winter blood and went back at some point, to the north.
The Great Expulsion, it was called. Horrible circumstances. Are you French at all?
This is a good read, very informative. My history books in school didn't contain this information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadians

wrong thread,lol.

I liked Crosby, Stills and Nash - and - early 70s - listened to a lot of Cat Stevens while recovering my senses from a break-up. After my heart stopped bleeding I couldn't stand his stuff.

Sorry to hear it affected your joy of music. If I let that happen to me I'd have to give up about 90% of my music and lose all the joy of the good times along with the bad.
And if we only listen to the perfect people who perform we will not find a single one but some songs with bad lyrics I won't listen to.
Most of them are drug users from some of the Christians to the C$W to the rockers.
I don't like rap,except for two songs. Good exercise music,makes me want to move.And they don't cuss or wear occultic attire or jewelry.

Growing up, most of the people I hung out with were older than me. I used to listen to Neil Young a lot as a young teenager. This one in particular,but this is the ten minute version. Not that anybody else did.
:lil guy:

First the lyrics:
https://genius.com/Jakob-dylan-war-is-kind-lyrics

[Verse 1]
Mother, you saw my eyes
On the Fourth of July
Under a banner of Roman candles
Mother, war is kind
Like hell but I am fine

[Verse 2]
Brother, have you gone west?
You followed through once yet?