The night they drove ol' Dixie down

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My oldest granddaughter sent me a CD of songs she recorded for me. This was one of them and it grew on me. She had just came out as Homsexual and it tore me to pieces! I didn't spreak to her ' the apple of my eye' for 3 years, cried every night, would sit in drk and listen to this song and a couple others on the CD. Shes 33 now and still in that life.

Number one rap song is a white boy. I like two rap songs this is one of them. Gets you moving ,

exercised to this for about 30 years.

I woke up wwith this song in my head this morning. Close to 60 years since us young teens danced to this one. Look at the girls with Bobby socks and penny loafers.:cool:

Last edited:
Fifth dimension brings back some great memories. Funny thing. My son listened to Aquarius and he thought it had the best bass line ever written. Loved the song. Fast forward to the DVD "The Wrecking Crew" the studio musicians in LA. There is the guy playing bass for the Fifth Dimension on the recording playing the bass line from Aquarius. My son was in heaven.

Fifth dimension brings back some great memories. Funny thing. My son listened to Aquarius and he thought it had the best bass line ever written. Loved the song. Fast forward to the DVD "The Wrecking Crew" the studio musicians in LA. There is the guy playing bass for the Fifth Dimension on the recording playing the bass line from Aquarius. My son was in heaven.

Morgan I like to read the comments on YouTbe below the songs and lots of young peopel even soem 13 yea olds, love our music of the 60s and 70s. Say they wish they lived back then they don't like their music. Of course we had our problems too,like war.

And of course many of us here have had the ' red rubber ball ' experience.:D

Last edited:
After ' really ' listening to this song for first time since 70s I wonder if they knew what they were singing about? Lyrics below.

I don't think the Fifth Dimension really had anything to do with it. They covered the song Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In in 1969. It was originally written for and performed in the musical Hair in 1967. I think Aquarius was part of the original score, and Let the Sun Shine In was added in 1968 when the show moved from off-Broadway to on Broadway. Not that is matters. They made it a mega hit.

Morgan I like to read the comments on YouTbe below the songs and lots of young peopel even soem 13 yea olds, love our music of the 60s and 70s. Say they wish they lived back then they don't like their music. Of course we had our problems too,like war.

It is a revelation to them, and for us it is fun to share and re-live old memories. We were at some friend's house a few weeks ago. The husband was a drummer, and very into our music. Huge Rolling Stones fan. His favorite. They had a refrigerator magnet that said " I may be old, but I got to hear all the cool bands." I laughed out loud.

Wish I was seeing Kansas, the old Kansas especially. I wonder how badly it'd damage my hearing if I ever went to another loud concert.
You don't care for Paul Simon? A little too folksy? Lol

Nah not so much.
Current Kansas line up has 2 of the originals left. i'll bet it'll still be a good show.
The Doobie Brothers are gonna be in Nashville, but tickets are way too much, plus 3 hour+ drive and hotel room. Hate not seeing them since I always wanted to, but no reason to blow that much money.

Wish I was seeing Kansas, the old Kansas especially. I wonder how badly it'd damage my hearing if I ever went to another loud concert.
You don't care for Paul Simon? A little too folksy? Lol

I liked some of Paul Simons songs.And a lot of Bob Dylans songs but liked many of his songs best when sang mostly sang by other rather him. Like this song about the Apocalypse, Ilike Leon Russel singing it better,but also liked it in the early 60s wwhen Dylan wrote it in 1962

https://genius.com/Bob-dylan-a-hard-rains-a-gonna-fall-lyrics

Meerkat: I became a huge Leon Russell fan after seeing Mad Dogs and Englishman. The Joe Cocker version is probably the Gold Standard, but this is my favorite Leon Russell song. God Rest His Soul. A couple of trivia tidbits; did you know that Leon Russell played with the Wrecking Crew, studio musicians in LA? Rumor has it the Delta Lady was Rita Coolidge, but she says the only shenanigans that happened in the garden were in Leon Russell's head. Oh to be young again.

Latest posts

Back