The night they drove ol' Dixie down

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know some people freak out by the sound of fingernails on a chalk board? Well country music is like fingernails on a chalk board to me. Hurts my brain. However to each his/her own and if you like country music than more power to you! My Dad used to listen to some John Denver when I was younger, so I will post one of his songs.

When I lived in Colorado I considered John Denver a pimp, selling out Colorado, didn't like him all that much, but then I also had a bumper sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Colorado". I don't think it made any difference, Colorado turned into a left leaning state anyway.

When I lived in Colorado I considered John Denver a pimp, selling out Colorado, didn't like him all that much, but then I also had a bumper sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Colorado". I don't think it made any difference, Colorado turned into a left leaning state anyway.
Well, the Front Slope did, anyway. When I was working around Pueblo and Colorado Springs in 2020, I was really surprised at how much it seemed like California. Tons of garbage everywhere, and homeless people, and young people wandering around in the middle of the day, not working...

Well, the Front Slope did, anyway. When I was working around Pueblo and Colorado Springs in 2020, I was really surprised at how much it seemed like California. Tons of garbage everywhere, and homeless people, and young people wandering around in the middle of the day, not working...
Colorado Springs, eh? During the 80s, when I lived in the foothills southeast of Denver, I visited Garden of the Gods a few times - driving into Colorado Springs on the way. There was something unnerving about the place for me. Like a town going Urban, and trying to camouflage the process with some sort of what felt like 'artiness' to me.

Probably being hypersensitive, being a victim of the "suburbanization" of Vermont.

We all like "the devil went down to Georgia", it makes him a fool. But this song is the Devil I know.

I don't normally listen to country and all like that, seems a lot of folks here like it a lot. I do enjoy the Texas country sound.
Recently listening to The Band and didn't realize they were the ones who wrote and played Acadian Driftwood and The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down. I heard those so much when I was little, on the radio, etc. Both are fairly heart-breaking songs and I didn't see that anyone has posted a link for them. Some of the guys in The Band played with Dylan, there's quite a bit of rock and roll history associated with them.
Enjoy.

Since my NH has French Canadian ancestry, including from Nova Scotia and Ontario, I shudder to think this is what they most likely went through as expressed in Acadian Driftwood.

If my memory of French History serves me correctly weren't they or didn't the Acadia share some kinda history or similar traditions with the Cathars?

If my memory of French History serves me correctly weren't they or didn't the Acadia share some kinda history or similar traditions with the Cathars?
Dunno about the Cathars. Back when Canada was all French Canada, the province now known as Nova Scotia was called Acadia. When the British took over, they made room for Scottish immigrants by shipping a big bunch of Acadians to Louisiana swamp country, leaving them to figure out how to survive there.

Kansas (the band) fans...from a good source found out the only solo record of the late Robby Steinhardt's (first violinist for the band) will be released Oct. 25, featuring Ian Anderson, Pat Travers, and many others.
@Spikedriver weren't you mentioning Pat Travers? I listened to his stuff too but not much. Hardcore rockers.

Kansas (the band) fans...from a good source found out the only solo record of the late Robby Steinhardt's (first violinist for the band) will be released Oct. 25, featuring Ian Anderson, Pat Travers, and many others.
@Spikedriver weren't you mentioning Pat Travers? I listened to his stuff too but not much. Hardcore rockers.
I was born a little too late for most of the music I like. Stuff from the 70s and early 80s is my style, like Pat Travers. And yeah, I like to rock out a little bit...😉

Latest posts

Back