The Olympics

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gymnast who walked off yesterday is black. She was a great gymnast! Enough said bur not for our press... she was their darling because she was black. Their coverage of her was galling to the point of being patronizing.

I'm glad she walked off if for nothing else it left our press speechless. They switched from their normal stories to little comments about mental health. It was funny watching them trying to figure out how to spin the story.

I feel sure they will (next day or so) come up with a spin of how it was racist white america's fault she had a break down etc...
Since I am not watching any of it, I didn't see it, just seeing the headlines online. A very conservative woman I know was outraged this morning about the discussion by the commentators who were talking about her yesterday on air. In some instances, you do not need to be a feminist or a liberal to see when things are not right. When I say that, I am not saying what she did was right or wrong, because I don't know the whole story. She did what she thought she needed to. Won't it be the end of gymnastics as a participant for her?

And what do retired Olympians do? I used to spend time in a dog park with a gold medalist in swimming. Her wheaten terrier and our Rhodesian ridgeback, Crosby, played well together. She now does motivational training for young swimmers. I expect that Simone Biles will likely be a trainer in her next career.

I have watched a few highlights on You Tube, and have to ask, Did they sell tickets to any of these events?

Seems like they are playing or competing in empty stadiums, and empty arenas. The only people I see who aren't competing are working. It is a joke.

I have watched a few highlights on You Tube, and have to ask, Did they sell tickets to any of these events?

Seems like they are playing or competing in empty stadiums, and empty arenas. The only people I see who aren't competing are working. It is a joke.
Yes the stadium is empty of fans.
I watch every night hoping they will find the guy tooting that damirritating horn all during the swimming events. :mad:
Since the stands are empty, he should be pretty dang easy to find:waiting:.

Last edited:
The gymnast who walked off yesterday is black. She was a great gymnast! Enough said bur not for our press... she was their darling because she was black. Their coverage of her was galling to the point of being patronizing.

I'm glad she walked off if for nothing else it left our press speechless. They switched from their normal stories to little comments about metal health. It was funny watching them trying to figure out how to spin the story.

I feel sure they will (next day or so) come up with a spin of how it was racist white america's fault she had a break down etc...
We watched the opening ceremony and ahe was introduced as GOAT.

Greatest of all time

Ben

We watched the opening ceremony and ahe was introduced as GOAT.

Greatest of all time

Ben
For me, the opening ceremony would be the most interesting. With Montessori training and experience, the interest in flags, and facts about the countries of the world would be my biggest interest in the shebang. I know that is probably liberal, but with more than 30 years in that work, what do you expect? I am interested in culture from all over the world, but I do not want a one world government!

For me, the opening ceremony would be the most interesting. With Montessori training and experience, the interest in flags, and facts about the countries of the world would be my biggest interest in the shebang. I know that is probably liberal, but with more than 30 years in that work, what do you expect? I am interested in culture from all over the world, but I do not want a one world government!
The Princess played a game of best and worst as they came in.

Best dress
Worst hat

I lost track of all of the categories she invented.

I ran track in high school so track and field of most interest to me but the prime time coverage wants to focus on swimming.

Ben

I guess you all heard about the quitter today.

That is it EXACTLY, Hashbrown. I watched a few other reports to get an idea of what happened. There are a lot of people trying to spin it into something positive, even heroic. What a bunch of BS. I don't give a rip what her background is. I don't care how hard she had it. The only thing that matters is she quit. When her team needed her most, she quit.

You don't walk around proclaiming yourself the Greatest of All Time, and then quit. Great athletes, heck people who are great at anything don't quit.

That is it EXACTLY, Hashbrown. I watched a few other reports to get an idea of what happened. There are a lot of people trying to spin it into something positive, even heroic. What a bunch of BS. I don't give a rip what her background is. I don't care how hard she had it. The only thing that matters is she quit. When her team needed her most, she quit.

You don't walk around proclaiming yourself the Greatest of All Time, and then quit. Great athletes, heck people who are great at anything don't quit.
We have a society of young people who do just that! Ohhh, it's too hard!

It's ok. I'm sure it will eventually be blamed on racial discrimination and she will be heralded as a hero for taking a stand for 'The Cause'. :rolleyes:

I watched some more archery yesterday. Nothing playing today but basket ball and more water polo...
I watched some of the BMX racing today:clapping:.
It went better than the girl's skateboarding. Every one of them landed on their face with the 'slide down the stair railing' part, except 1.☹
Where is the shot-put and javelin-throw?:dunno:

It's ok. I'm sure it will eventually be blamed on racial discrimination and she will be heralded as a hero for taking a stand for 'The Cause'. :rolleyes:

You are probably right, but this one is going to be a lot harder to spin. Did Jackie Robinson ever quit? Did Martin Luther King Jr, ever quit? They both had it a million times worse than Simone Biles. There are a million more examples of people who never quit.

I grew up playing sports. I have played, coached, and officiated all the way to the college level. There is no more vile or filthy a word in sports than "quit".

You are probably right, but this one is going to be a lot harder to spin. Did Jackie Robinson ever quit? Did Martin Luther King Jr, ever quit? They both had it a million times worse than Simone Biles. There are a million more examples of people who never quit.

I grew up playing sports. I have played, coached, and officiated all the way to the college level. There is no more vile or filthy a word in sports than "quit".
It's a 'hero's' word now.

I want to cut her a break.

The moves they pull off are dangerous if not done correctly. There is a great amount of concentration required. If all of the hype around her got into her head such that she could not concentrate.

Dropping was most likely not an easy thing to do. It will probably cost a lot in lost endorsement money.

Ben

Ok, I gotta grumble a little bit. I know things change as years go by.
While we are busy watching the 47 different ways, different sexes, can swim different distances, in the same pool, for hours, where are the Olympians?
Where is the shot put?
Where is the discus throw?
Where is the javelin throw?
Remember watching pole-vaulting for hours?
All gone, and replaced by something 'safer' to interest the young people.
The skateboarding, a dismal disappointment. ☹
BMX - a bunch of kids on small bikes riding over bumps in a track (yawn).:rolleyes:
...Now back to more people swimming in the pool!!! OH BOY!gaah
I'll shut up now.:mad:

Last edited:
I won't cut her break, she had a crappy performance and quit! Thats the problem today now she's heroic and brave I say horse apples! Remember the little girl that got gold that was injured a few years ago and stuck the landing on one foot? That's brave and heroic!
Maru Lou Reton?

She was in 5he right head apace to power through the physical issue.

Simon's most powerful speciality was the horse where a number if tricks are named after her. It was after failing in her most comfortable skill that she failed miserably. Barely avoided injury. At the peak they are falling from maybe 15 feet in the air. If foolishly jumped from a 10 foot ladder. Bruised both my heels (another story saved for another time). Imagine coming down head first!.

Looking at it a different way....

Say I trained as a knife thrower so could outline The Princess with knives....
If I was off I would bow out.

Ben

No matter what our individual opinions are, she will be remembered for quitting. Some will think/remember her as heroic, some as she just couldn't cut it!
Oh, she will be just fine ;).
She has endorsement contracts with:
GK Elite Sportswear,
Core Power,
Kelloggs,
Proctor & Gamble,
The Hershey Company,
United Airlines,
Mattress Firm,
Spieth America,
Beats By Dr Dre,
Caboodles,
And Gap stores.
Oh, and don't forget to buy her book!!! :clapping:
51LVVmO54dL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

She's a very busy girl!

Ok, I gotta grumble a little bit.
Where is the shot put?
Where is the discus throw?
Where is the javelin throw?
Remember watching pole-vaulting for hours?
All gone, and replaced

What channel are you watching? I've seen all these events except the pole vault. I watched the women pole vaulters warm up but changed channels and watched the skinny row boats instead.

I'm getting 3 different channels of events during the day and 5 in prime time. There is also Olympic golf on the golf channel which I haven't bothered with... I don't count that one.

Oh, there's a kid from Huntsville AL. He's the first person to get to the finals in both the "High Jump" and "Long Jump" since Jim Thorpe did it in 1912. I think his name is Harrison.

Last edited:
What channel are you watching? ..

I'm getting 3 different channels of events during the day and 5 in prime time.
Obviously the wrong one because I am not a swimaholic. ☹
NBC sux!!!:mad:

About “the quitter”. I think you all are being harsh. It is emotionally very difficult to compete at such high levels at such a young age. Sometimes I wonder why some are so negative and quick to judge. I’m not sure exactly what happened but in an interview she felt her team had a better chance for a medal without her. And her performances up until the time she stepped back had been less than stellar with several faults.

My hubby and I watched the men’s synchronized diving. It was very impressive.

About “the quitter”. I think you all are being harsh. It is emotionally very difficult to compete at such high levels at such a young age. Sometimes I wonder why some are so negative and quick to judge. I’m not sure exactly what happened but in an interview she felt her team had a better chance for a medal without her. And her performances up until the time she stepped back had been less than stellar with several faults.

My hubby and I watched the men’s synchronized diving. It was very impressive.

I will respectfully disagree. This was not her first rodeo. She was an experienced Olympian, having competed and won gold medals in 2016. She signed up for this, and knew exactly what she was getting into. You don't go around wearing a "GOAT" emblem (Greatest Of All Time) and quit.

Read a little about Babe Didrikson Zaharias. She won the U.S. Women's Open (Golf) in 1954 a month after having colon cancer surgery and wearing a colostomy bag on her hip. She didn't quit.

I will respectfully disagree. This was not her first rodeo. She was an experienced Olympian, having competed and won gold medals in 2016. She signed up for this, and knew exactly what she was getting into. You don't go around wearing a "GOAT" emblem (Greatest Of All Time) and quit.

Read a little about Babe Didrikson Zaharias. She won the U.S. Women's Open (Golf) in 1954 a month after having colon cancer surgery and wearing a colostomy bag on her hip. She didn't quit.
Competing, especially at that level is both a physical and mental challenge. It's a package deal!!

What do you think Biles motive was?

And everyone has different mental health levels. Some can stand tough, some have panic attacks and break downs. Biles’s performances were pretty dismal before she stepped down.

What do you think Biles motive was?

And everyone has different mental health levels. Some can stand tough, some have panic attacks and break downs. Biles’s performances were pretty dismal before she stepped down.
I don't think she had a motive, I think she just can't compete anymore. She's done!!!

Latest posts

Back