The ONE thing you must do to Survive

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He and I agree about where and how to live. I much prefer our little "shack" on 30 odd acres over any Mcmansion in any neighborhood. I grew up in the sticks and lived my twenties in the city and move back out much deeper in the sticks as soon as I was able.

We did just that a year and half ago. Moved from a nice big house in a city (on an acre) to middle of nowhere amish country in a 100 yrs plus farmhouse on 23 acres. But, hey, it's paid for and there's room to grow stuff. And we have as many roosters as we want. Don't have to lock our doors, either. Unless you want to. I always enjoy Pastor Joe's videos.

That was a horrible video. I suffered up to 90 seconds. My guess is the message is good. But I got seasick.

That was a horrible video. I suffered up to 90 seconds. My guess is the message is good. But I got seasick.
Ah, I see. I will play it, and add a new tab so I can listen to it without watching it. There is a garden site I like but could not watch for the longest time due to the motion thing. She has improved her skills. Maybe he will also.

I'm sure it's fine for some, but for others that ship sailed, there is no moving. My wife and I do not choose to live in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbors.

The ONE thing you have to do to survive , is SURVIVE.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Moved from a nice big house in a city (on an acre) to middle of nowhere amish country in a 100 yrs plus farmhouse on 23 acres.
Somehow I had in my mind that you had been living rural for years and years. Not sure where I came up with that in my mind - maybe because your username and avatar look ... rural. It's cool that you made the move from city to farmland. An acre in the middle of a city is a good sized chunk of land. But I'll bet 23 acres is a whole different thing! Was it difficult to make that significant change in lifestyle?

Not too much for me, I've been ready for this lifestyle for many years. Although friends that have visited probably pictured a McMansion, and it truly was (and somewhat is) an old farmhouse, work in progress. Not at all what we sold in New Mexico. I had turned our little one acre into a mini farm, got rid of all the landscaping. Husband had a more difficult time retiring from his job, and more than a few eyebrows were raised when he told coworkers what we were doing. And it was bittersweet selling our business (a private school that I ran). But we have lived all over because of his job, and this was my turn, my pick. It is a blessing to have more land in an area that is not all covid freaked out. New Mexico was horrible when we left it. I almost felt shell shocked when we got here in the summer of 2020. We've done alot of work here in the year we've been here. Learned alot about growing things I didn't know how to grow, raised more animals for food than we did before, lots more. Taking time to be human, taking time to visit. It was a good thing to do. I'm with Pastor Joe, there's no way to do this in the city. The "get out of her, my people" is what my relatives have done being here all along. I think they are living in a way that feels right to me.

hit play and close ya eyes..hes playing and has played 'your song for years'. get remote as can be and find a hole.

hit play and close ya eyes..hes playing and has played 'your song for years'. get remote as can be and find a hole.
Yes......I have been preaching that sermon for 55 years. And living it for 52 years.

We're about as far away from people as we could get in the lower 48. Nearest neighbor is 5 miles away, town (pop 500) is 20 miles, county pop is 2800, power is 6 miles away, our driveway is 2 miles long and is behind a locked forest service gate. Our property is an inholding, which means that we have private land completely inside the national forest boundaries. There will never be any private land close to our property.

That was a good little watch. I also like to keep as many miles as possible between myself and others. He stole my Whore of Babylon quote! :) Oh how she will fall.

thanks elkhound, i always liked this guy and lost track of him. his advice is smart---get away from people before shtf as best one can. i believe if we ask God to help us get to a safe place, He will put us in the place He wants us to be.
My wife has said many times since we moved to our once bare property, that God put us here and just in the last 10 years much of those reasons have shown up. We have a community of mostly like minded people, that look out for one an other.

Two years ago I lived in a small rural town that only had one traffic light. But then a developer shelled out $8M for the hillside on the other side of the valley from my place. Cut down all of the trees ran massive earth movers and built apartments townhouses and single family homes marketing them as "wonderful view"... of the private forest we own.

There were maybe 50 old coal mining homes in two enclaves in the valley. After the development was done they added 800 units! Suburbia found us!

We do hear gun fire regularly but that is from the gun club over the back hill.

Six generations of my family have slept under this roof. This where God put us and this where plan to make our stand.

I thank God for all of you that have been blessed with places where suburbia has not found you ... yet.

Ben

Latest posts

Back