The Only Real Cookie

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I worked for years to make a real cookie and after you try these you will understand that all other cookies are not real cookies at all.

Ingredients:
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup hard packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use the real stuff not "vanilla" flavoring)
1/2 teaspoon salt (table salt not sea salt or kosher salt or that Himalayan pink salt)
1 extra large egg (you can substitute two small eggs as long as they come from chickens)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (no more - just a level 1/2 teaspoon or it will taste soapy)
1 level tablespoon baking powder (you can use more but it just wastes baking powder)
3/4 cup all purpose flour (this is necessary to help hold these cookies together)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (if you use the fast cooking oatmeal add two extra table spoons of them)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (you can substitute pecans if you must)
12 ounces of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (I cannot be held responsible if you use milk chocolate chips. Don't blame me when the world abruptly ends in a fiery hell )

preheat over to 350F ( too much heat and they will burn and too little and they will be gummy cups and not cookies)

Mixing them:
Cream butter, sugars, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl and then whip until fluffy
Beat in the egg(s), baking soda, and one teaspoon of water.
In a separate bowl combine and whisk flour, baking powder and oats together until evenly mixed (you don't want independent lumps of flour and oats in your cookies)
Combine the dry ingredients with the egg and sugar mixture until it is friendly - don't let them get all mushed together.
Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts until it is an even mixture
Using a serving spoon (like a big table or soup spoon only bigger) drop the dough on a greased cookie sheet and flatten to about a half inch thick. Space cookies with at least 1/2 inch between them. (you don't want a cake, these are cookies!)
Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes. they should just start to lightly brown on the bottom and still look "wet" on top.
Turn the oven off and open it letting the cookies rest for 2 minutes and then remove to rack for cooling.
These cookies will stay moist for days unless they are overcooked or they are all eaten in the first hour after they cool.
Serve sparingly, two cookies, with a glass of cool milk or hot black coffee.
Cookies that are left should be stored in a locked container to keep the kids and husband from pilfering all of them.

a lot of humor in this but they really are the only real cookie ever made and it did take years to get this just right. Enjoy!

OK
I made them.
Didn't have raisins so I Left them out.
I also left out the chocolate chips.
I can't stand those things.
They taste good but they look terrible.
Like they melted into a big, flat pancake and all ran together.
I'll try again in a few days and see how they do.
Like I said they taste good so they will not last long but they look nothing like a cookie.

Backlash, there are no raisins in this recipe! If the cookies run when baked add a couple table spoons of flour and oats to dry the mixture. Chocolate chips are for flavor - not looks, use them they are good to you. :) 1/4 pound of butter is just 1 stick. Don't use margarine or other substitutes because they are about half water.
Redbeard, substitute chopped pecans if the walnuts will kill you. If pecans will also kill you - well the flavor is worth it! ;)

Sentry, if you multiply all the ingredients by 6 or 10 you can probably use the ostrich egg. ;) On the plus side you will have enough cookies to last all day. :)

You're right, no raisins so that part was OK.
I do not like chocolate chips in anything.
I never eat them.
There 2 cookies I don't like.
Chocolate chip and peanut butter.
I'll try again and add more oats and flour.
They taste good just look bad but that didn't stop them from disappearing.:)
Thanks

Redbeard, substitute chopped pecans if the walnuts will kill you. If pecans will also kill you - well the flavor is worth it! ;)

I will try these if and when I bake cookies again. I am trying not to eat carbs. Usually, if someone is allergic to one tree nut, they are allergic to all of them. Peanuts is a different story.

I never tried peanuts in these cookies because the cookies are real sweet and the bitterness from the walnuts or pecans helps to balance the taste. I only use the dark chocolate or semi-sweet chips because the milk chocolate chips make the cookies way too sweet. Maybe the peanuts would work if the amount of vanilla was increased to a tablespoon... It is hard to tell without testing. It took a lot of cookies to get the balance right.
I'm an experimenter so I say try it and see what it takes to balance the flavor with peanuts or (gasp, choke) leaving the chocolate out. I have to go to the hospital now, I think I am having a heart attack and I have no cookies made. :)

Thanks Dani, it's nice to know that something shared is enjoyed.

I have experimented with the recipe using peanuts...
They taste very different but there is a way to make them with a balanced taste using peanuts.
Here is what you do:
Allergy note:

If you have to use peanuts due to tree nut allergies then add ½ tsp more of vanilla and (¼ tsp of ginger or 1/8 tsp of turmeric) with the peanuts. This will help balance the the sweet and bitter balance.
Vanilla and Turmeric
or
Vanilla and Ginger
Ginger will add to the aroma and taste of the cookies while Turmeric may detract from the aroma and color the cookies slightly yellow.
I prefer the ginger but it does change the taste.

If you have problems with the cookies flattening and spreading when they cook don't mash them down when you place them in the pan. Leave them balled up.

So, there you go! Even with tree nut allergies you can still have the second best cookies in the world.

Here I am, more than a year later, and I haven't made cookies and certainly haven't made these cookies.

One thing I was thinking when I started looking at this thread just now is that when I was a kid, we always had cookies in the house and we loved cookies. Cookies are not so good now. Is it me, or is it the cookies? Or is it cookies from the store? They are really not good.

I don't bake much at all anymore and if I do, it is banana bread.

I think cookies from the store are not so good anymore. Homemade cookies are the best. And homemade brownies. I like chocolate, and the chocolate in the cookies from the store always tastes off to me. I made three loaves of banana bread with chocolate chips in them yesterday. Came home from dinner out with husband last night, and a loaf was already pretty much gone. I ordered a Starbucks slice of chocolate chip banana bread a while ago and it was dry and overpriced. Mine is better.

I think cookies from the store are not so good anymore. Homemade cookies are the best. And homemade brownies. I like chocolate, and the chocolate in the cookies from the store always tastes off to me. I made three loaves of banana bread with chocolate chips in them yesterday. Came home from dinner out with husband last night, and a loaf was already pretty much gone. I ordered a Starbucks slice of chocolate chip banana bread a while ago and it was dry and overpriced. Mine is better.
I think if I didn't cook or bake at all, I would never buy cookies from the store. There used to be a soft oatmeal cookie at the store that was okay. I think because of this thread, I am going to look at the ingredients in cookies at the store. I prefer soft cookies to crisp ones.
My grandmothers used to both bake cookies until I was around 9, and then I did much of the baking and we always had fresh cookies, as we had had for years before that. One of my grandmothers used to make oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, date filled cookies, gingersnaps, and sugar cookies. My other grandmother made peanut cookies, which had peanuts in them. I wish I had that recipe. One of my cousins is known for her snickerdoodle cookies. I really prefer a chocolate chip cookie. All of our baking is now done with gluten free flour.
I know that some people use shortening, oil or margarine when baking. I only use butter.
Banana bread doesn't last long for us either. One batch of our recipe makes two regular sized loaves or three smaller loaves. It is especially good warm and fresh out of the oven with butter on it.

Amish heart,
Toll house cookies always tasted "soapy" to me. When I found out that the baking soda was at fault I replaced it with baking powder. That was how I began working on the best cookies.
A little over three years later I had the recipe fine tuned. If you leave out the walnuts and use only half the chocolate chips it is still a pretty good cookie, just not perfect. ;)

Amish heart,
Toll house cookies always tasted "soapy" to me. When I found out that the baking soda was at fault I replaced it with baking powder. That was how I began working on the best cookies.
A little over three years later I had the recipe fine tuned. If you leave out the walnuts and use only half the chocolate chips it is still a pretty good cookie, just not perfect. ;)
I wonder if the soapy taste is true for everyone? I have never found a soapy taste in anything made with baking soda. I do know that some people do not care for cilantro because it tastes soapy to them.

It may be an individual taste. I personally do not like ginger or cardamom. One of our daughters had celery and celery seed. Husband hates anything watermelon flavored. I know putting too much baking powder in anything will ruin it. Our preschoolers found that out the hard way when making pancakes.
I have just a few things that I do not care for. I can do ginger in very small amounts. Decades ago I cooked something with ginger. I could not eat it, but everyone else thought it was delicious. I do use ginger, but gingerly. We do not care much for mushrooms, and periodically I will try them again. I couldn't stand yogurt for decades. One time someone brought some to school to share for Friday treats and I could eat it.

My husband won't eat canned mushrooms, but we all love portobellos. Our local Sams has been carrying them at a good price.
Anybody make monster cookies?
Basically a tollhouse, but with added nuts, oatmeal, and some m&ms.
I had a friend when I was growing up, and she would always add cereal to her cookie batter. She didn't care what kind. Reminded me of Ranger cookies. Those are good, too. Was going to make cookies, but our daughter gave us a good sized pumpkin roll, and we still have banana bread, so I'll wait.

It seems to me that cake, cookies and such in the local grocery store Delis and Bakeries almost always look so much better than they actually taste. Sometimes you get a nice, good-tasting surprise, but I've found that most offerings do not deliver what their optics promise.

Pretty much the same with frozen food offerings (except for ice cream!). For instance, I fondly remember Banquet brand pot pies. Have eaten many as a child, and they always tasted so good. The same brand today is just a huge disappointment.

I guess, as this is a homesteading forum, the best remedy would be to make my own, eh?

It seems to me that cake, cookies and such in the local grocery store Delis and Bakeries almost always look so much better than they actually taste. Sometimes you get a nice, good-tasting surprise, but I've found that most offerings do not deliver what their optics promise.

Pretty much the same with frozen food offerings (except for ice cream!). For instance, I fondly remember Banquet brand pot pies. Have eaten many as a child, and they always tasted so good. The same brand today is just a huge disappointment.

I guess, as this is a homesteading forum, the best remedy would be to make my own, eh?

I agree, make your own!
The worst is that frosting on bakery made cakes and cupcakes. All those dyes and it is just tastes nasty. The cake under that icing is no better. Over the years, I saw so many nasty cupcakes come to school for children's birthdays. They really didn't know better, until all of a sudden, it was Krispy Kreme donuts for birthday treats.

The white icing in Oreo's is another example of nastiness. If that was what I had growing up, I would never have developed the sweet tooth I have had.

Ever notice how food that we loved as kids is just nasty now?

Banquet pot pies are one example of nasty overly processed foods. Campbells chicken noodle soup is another. All those premade foods are full of who knows what chemicals, msg by one name or another (20 + options) salt and more salt, and maybe the pieces of a cancerous chicken or cow with the cancer being cut off, but the rest of the critter being used. I feel sick now.

Give me a fresh salad any day with homemade dressing minus the soy oil, msg and chemicals.

Latest posts

Back