The song "American Pie".........the verse "I met a girl who sang the blues" refers to what...??? Don't look it UP.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Just for giggles (as I still owe Rebecca a book) With OUT LOOKING IT UP.......in the song "American Pie", the section about "I met a girl who sang the blues" refers to WHAT.

Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away

I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

Look it up for your own satisfaction, but "Don't" post it, based on having looked it up. That just denies others some fun.

Wow.........I am impressed. I just learned a few hours ago, while researching the lyrics to a different song. I had always wondered what that section referred to. I confess I would have never-ever guessed.

Side note: That song was the disc jockeys, "got to run to the toilet song". They could queue that song on and take their time, maybe have a beer and still get back to the set, have a cigarette.

Speaking of old songs, I just spent a couple of hours photographing my old Bob Dylan and Joan Baez albums so I could sell them on Ebay. These are all around 50 years old vinyl albums.

What I should have done first was look up their values on Ebay (ie. see what their selling for). Had I done that I would not have wasted the last couple of hours.

Last edited:
Well, I did not look it up. My guess is Janis Joplin. And, I am pretty sure the joker was Bob Dylan.

YEP......Correct.

"Joplin recorded the song for inclusion on her Pearl album only a few days before her death in October 1970. Kristofferson had sung the song for her, and singer Bob Neuwirth taught it to her. Kristofferson did not know she had recorded it until after her death. The first time he heard her recording of it was the day after she died.[6] Joplin's version topped the charts to become her only number one single and in 2004, her version of this song was ranked No. 148 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

In Don McLean's song "American Pie", he "met a girl who sang the blues", referring to the Janis Joplin version of the song, where she and Bobby sang the blues. He asks for some happy news from her. However, "she just smiled and turned away", referring to her death in 1970.

It is a song that will be loved by many generations. I know there are hidden meanings, but never knew them. When I was teaching, this was a song my students would request when we did our Friday afternoon cleaning and re-organizing of the classroom. We listened to other music, but this was always the most requested one.

Latest posts

Back