The Spanish Mustangs of Blackjack Mountain

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LastO

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We have a Spanish Mustang, unbranded as such but he is obviously a mustang, and came off of Blackjack Mountain in Oklahoma. This is supposedly the herd that the horse in the movie Hidalgo came from. He is a stout guy. There is an old guy named Bryant Rickman who owns a lot of these horses and is trying to rescue the herds. Here is a picture of ours. His name is Pistol.

pistol1.jpg

pistol2.jpg

pistol4.jpg

I went to the website and watched one video, about 26 minutes long. This is another one of those awesome things people do. That guy has given his life, sacrificed a great deal, to saving the Choctaw ponies.
So, you have a stallion...are you getting mares? Are you going to assist in the preservation of a breed that has so few left?
They are robust and will go all day, they work better than quarter horses. They are like dogs in how faithful they are to an owner.
:heart: and I have to post the horse....:horsie:

I went to the website and watched one video, about 26 minutes long. This is another one of those awesome things people do. That guy has given his life, sacrificed a great deal, to saving the Choctaw ponies.
So, you have a stallion...are you getting mares? Are you going to assist in the preservation of a breed that has so few left?
They are robust and will go all day, they work better than quarter horses. They are like dogs in how faithful they are to an owner.
:heart: and I have to post the horse....:horsie:

He was already gelded when we bought him. Right now, he is for sale. We simply have more horses than we need.I know the people who brought him off the mountain a number of years ago and broke him. The boys in the family used to ride him into town to the tastee freeze which is about 20 miles away. He is a good horse but doesn't want to be caught. I usually catch him in a pen using food. Once caught he stands for saddle, farrier, leads well etc. He does require a firm hand though. We just had his teeth floated and he is up on all shots. I'm not one to brand but in his case I wish they would have branded him as a mustang. His value would have gone way up as a branded mustang. Bryant Rickman lives very close to me.

I watched the video and was thinking about a song I heard as a kid.
So I went to youtube ' where else' to find it. This song seems to be talking about these pony's.

Too bad he's so rowdy. I guess that doesn't really matter. It's in his blood. I'd love to see these horses. I appreciate your posting the link. Some people conserve heirloom tomatoes, some conserve old pony lines.

Too bad he's so rowdy. I guess that doesn't really matter. It's in his blood. I'd love to see these horses. I appreciate your posting the link. Some people conserve heirloom tomatoes, some conserve old pony lines.
He isn't rowdy at all. He just avoids. Most horses do not want to be caught and ridden. He doesn't kick or bite. He simply tries to avoid being ridden. We are really good to our horses. They know it.

Most people don't know where the word ' Cracker " came from for the white man. It originated in Florida from cowboys cracking the whip herding cattle. I wonder if they were riding these mustangs .

Isn't your pony a DNA proven Choctaw pony? A few posters are inquiring as to draft horse lineage.
I wonder if they looked at your link and watched the video. We rode some "ponies" at the beach once, rented them for a while. They were huge, wide and tall. But they looked like ponies and the owner referred to them as ponies.

This is a genuine Wild mustang that came off of Blackjack Mountain in Oklahoma. I know the people who owned him originally and brought him down off the mountain and broke him themselves. Yes he is short and stout.

This is a genuine Wild mustang that came off of Blackjack Mountain in Oklahoma. I know the people who owned him originally and brought him down off the mountain and broke him themselves. Yes he is short and stout.
13 hands? Well, he's just a little guy!:D

Latest posts

Back