The Survivalist Network Recommended First Aid Kit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've had other posts about first aid kits. Every time I see a list, it helps to prompt me to fill in more gaps in my own supplies. This one seems doable, and I know that in spite of a few bags of first aid kits, I am still missing some things, like a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff. I also know that I need some training on some of these things and hope we can get some food videos about using them here.

First Aid Kit, Survivalist Network.jpg

We have that covered in multiples. Working on things like antibiotics and other non-over-the-counter type stuff. We've been picking them up on the other side of our southern border as we have opportunity. There is a limit on what you can bring back with each visit. (There are certain things you have to be careful spelling out if you know what I mean!)

..I can add a few things to the list shortly.

#metoo. :) Looking forward to yer List.. 👍

Meantime, here's a few Solid-source links in this post (Sorry to redirect 'Outside HSF', but.. Figure that's more 'succinct' than pasting it all, here..)
https://www.survivalistboards.com/threads/need-emergency-first-aid-ifak-recommendations.953564/#post-20480788

..and, for a 'Severe Bleed Kit', some ideas, here..
https://www.survivalistboards.com/threads/tourniquets.918756/#post-19553604

Fwiw..
jd

That's a huge kit. Mine is much less extensive but it's very portable. At the moment, it's Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and aspirin, various bandaids, first aid tape, a couple gauze pads, toenail clippers, sting ointment, skin lotion, and generic Rolaids. It's biased toward my job and what I might encounter there. I'm still missing burn gel, but we have that in our trauma kits on our machines.

I know that's not a very capable kit, but there's field expedient things that can be done if you have a knife and first aid tape, or duct tape for that matter...

I'm attaching a list of supplies I have been collecting here at my place - keep in mind I'm in the medical field, as well as my husband, but these can come in handy in a SHTF situation.

Med Kit

AED/defibrillator
CPAP/BiPAP (if you can get now)
Portable O2 concentrator
Nasal cannula + face masks
Bag/valve mask
ENT kit
Dental kit
Box of nitrile gloves (different sizes)
IV catheter starts (can get on amazon)
IV tubing
IV bags - normal saline or lactated ringers
Potassium iodide
4 x 4 sponges
Abdominal pads (very absorbent)
Coban
Silk tape
Non adherent dressings
Sterile dressings
Bottles of sterile water/normal saline (for irrigation of wounds)
Silver nitrate sticks (can stop small bleeders)
Trauma dressing
Quick clot
Petroleum gauze (chest wound dressings)
14 ga IV cath - for needle decompression
Sutures and suture kit (needle drivers)
Suture removal kit
Hemostats
Scalpels (many different sizes)
Butterfly bandages
Newskin/glue for wounds
NG tubes
Eye wash solution
Antibiotic ointment
Soap
Hand sanitizer
Alcohol wipes or rubbing alcohol
Band aids (all diff sizes)
Q-tips
Cotton balls
Activated charcoal
Petroleum jelly (for lubrication)
Lidocaine (1%)
Needles 20 ga-27 ga 1/2 in to 1 1/2 in. The larger the gauge the smaller the diameter - so the 27 ga is smaller, and you would want 1/2 inch - can use that to start infiltration of lidocaine at a superficial level. The longer length ones and bigger gauge (20ga) would be for injection of medication
Syringes (all sizes from 1cc-40 cc) both leur lock and slip tip (For use with the NGT)
Diabetes syringes
Oral rehydration powder/electrolyte solution
Glucose monitor
Blood pressure monitor
Pulse oximeter
Thermometer

Meds:

(Make sure to have a stockpile of any prescription meds you take)
Steroids (dexamethasone or prednisone pills)
Antibiotics - good ones to have: azithromycin, ceftriaxone, ampicillin, clindamycin, erythromycin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Anti-diarrheal
Monistat 7 (or any type - to treat a female yeast infection)
Pantoprazole (protonix)
famotidine
Diphenhydramine
Allergy meds: allegra, claritin (etc)
Epi pen
Anti-venom
Ondansetron (zofran) (oral dissolving tablet)
Glucose tabs
Laxative
Aspirin (chewable 81 mg best)
Anti-histamines/cold medicine
Benadryl cream
Hydrocortisone cream
Topical lidocaine cream
Sunburn cream, sunscreen

I'm attaching a list of supplies I have been collecting here at my place - keep in mind I'm in the medical field, as well as my husband, but these can come in handy in a SHTF situation.

Med Kit

AED/defibrillator
Portable O2 concentrator
Bag/valve mask
ENT kit
Dental kit
IV tubing
Potassium iodide
4 x 4 sponges
Coban
Silk tape
Non adherent dressings
Sterile dressings
Trauma dressing
Quick clot
Suture removal kit
Hemostats
Butterfly bandages
Newskin/glue for wounds
NG tubes
Eye wash solution
Antibiotic ointment
Soap
Hand sanitizer
Q-tips
Cotton balls
Activated charcoal
Lidocaine (1%)
Needles 20 ga-27 ga 1/2 in to 1 1/2 in. The larger the gauge the smaller the diameter - so the 27 ga is smaller, and you would want 1/2 inch - can use that to start infiltration of lidocaine at a superficial level. The longer length ones and bigger gauge (20ga) would be for injection of medication
Syringes (all sizes from 1cc-40 cc) both leur lock and slip tip (For use with the NGT)
Diabetes syringes
Glucose monitor
Blood pressure monitor
Pulse oximeter
Thermometer

Meds:

Antibiotics - good ones to have: azithromycin, ceftriaxone, ampicillin, clindamycin, erythromycin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Anti-diarrheal
Pantoprazole (protonix)
famotidine
Diphenhydramine
Epi pen
Anti-venom
Glucose tabs
Laxative
Benadryl cream
Hydrocortisone cream
Topical lidocaine cream
Sunburn cream, sunscreen
That is nice list. Thank you.

Q
How much of that stuff can laymen acquire legally?

I asked my doctor to write a prescription for 5 years of my blood pressure medicine incase pharmacies dry up. He just smiled and shook gis head.

What say you?

Ben

Med Kit

AED/defibrillator
Portable O2 concentrator
Bag/valve mask
ENT kit
Dental kit
IV tubing
Potassium iodide
4 x 4 sponges
Coban
Silk tape
Non adherent dressings
Sterile dressings
Trauma dressing
Quick clot
Suture removal kit
Hemostats
Butterfly bandages
Newskin/glue for wounds
NG tubes
Eye wash solution
Antibiotic ointment
Soap
Hand sanitizer
Q-tips
Cotton balls
Activated charcoal
Lidocaine (1%)
Diabetes syringes
Glucose monitor
Blood pressure monitor
Pulse oximeter
Thermometer

Meds:

Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Anti-diarrheal
Pantoprazole (protonix)
famotidine
Diphenhydramine
Epi pen
Anti-venom
Glucose tabs
Laxative
Benadryl cream
Hydrocortisone cream
Topical lidocaine cream
Sunburn cream, sunscreen
A great list, if you are or have a Dr. close by :). The things I recognize, I have, the things I don't I couldn't use without an expert nearby.

I'll second the abdominal pads, they are fabulous!

Q

I asked my doctor to write a prescription for 5 years of my blood pressure medicine incase pharmacies dry up. He just smiled and shook gis head.

What say you?

Ben
It's not the docs, it's the insurance. I can get a scrip for a year, but United will say, WTHeck is this???

..IV catheter starts (can get on amazon)
IV tubing
Potassium iodide
...14 ga IV cath - for needle decompression..

Awesome List / Stocks.. :cool: Here's our fav Source for the IV-skak / hydration: https://www.mountainside-medical.com ..And, specifically: https://www.mountainside-medical.com/collections/iv-administration-sets ..and: https://www.mountainside-medical.com/collections/sodium-chloride ..And, poke around, there's Lots of other good stuff, therein.. 👍

Not sure where they're 'at', these days, relative to 'strictness' when it comes to their "Medical Pro's Only" ordering for certain items, ie: https://www.mountainside-medical.com/products/hospira-lidocaine-2-for-injection-50ml-25-pk ..But.. Last we Ordered, did it thru Email, and simply told them I had been an EMT-B for ~3 yrs n change in the past, and they replied 'OK', and shipped it, but.. That was a couple years back, they may have 'tightened the noose', since then, so.. 'YMMV'..

Fwiw..
jd

Q

What say you?

Ben
Yep absolutely the insurance companies.
They like to dictate everything these days.

Yep absolutely the insurance companies.
They like to dictate everything these days.
I am going to talk to my pharmacy assistant sister if she can ask the pharmacist. Five years would get me half way the my life expectancy. 10 years would put me in bonus teritory.

Ben

I am going to talk to my pharmacy assistant sister if she can ask the pharmacist. Five years would get me half way the my life expectancy. 10 years would put me in bonus teritory.

Ben
You may also be able to get supplies from our friends down south in Mexico. A lot of prescription drugs here, you can buy over the counter there. It's how we stock up on our antibiotics :)

You may also be able to get supplies from our friends down south in Mexico. A lot of prescription drugs here, you can buy over the counter there. It's how we stock up on our antibiotics :)
How do you access them? I have been across the border, but it is not all that safe to go there now. There are a few resort towns that you can fly into, but I still think there is a risk.

How do you access them? I have been across the border, but it is not all that safe to go there now. There are a few resort towns that you can fly into, but I still think there is a risk.
Usually go to Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. I've felt safe going to Cancun, but I also speak a bit of Spanish, so I think that helps. I also leave my jewelry at home, and don't dress fancy when going off resort - ballcap, sunglasses, t-shirt and jean shorts with my keens (in case I need to take off running). I don't carry a purse, instead have either a fanny pack or a small backpack I can carry close on my person. I find that most people won't mess with me, but they will harass the ritzy females.

We just walk across the border to the town down below Yuma AZ. As soon as you cross there are pharmacies and other businesses like optometrists. You can purchase any prescription merchandise without a prescription. There is a limit to how much you can cross the border with (check online). The Border Patrol agents checking you in will ask what you have. Just tell them. We've never been hassled. Be sure to have proper documentation in order to get back into the US. They will hassle you about that! We have passports.

Last edited:
Back