The tree every prepper should have in his back yard...Moringa!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Neat tree. I'll have to study on this one and see about planting one. VenomP.:Thankyou::huggs:

Map where it grows, wonder why not in Florida?

Moringa_worldmap.jpg

Last edited:
Not a native tree? Once it gets turned loose it goes wild.... lol

I know we had some Castor Trees here that would shoot you with their nut projectiles. We should have kept it but was worried about it being poison, now we know it has all kinds of healing qualities.

Since I want to raise rabbits and chickens but not use any store bought feed, I am always looking for something I can grow to assist in the process. I also wonder if the older pods and leaves could be mixed with the rabbit poop and urine to increase the minerals and vitamin content of the fertilizer. Again to avoid any store bought products. When it hits the fan, you are not going to be heading to the feed store. Work it out now and you won't have to worry about when your food supply depends on it.

There is a lot more to the water purification info in the link (in the OP), which states:

"...
To purify your water just crush some Moringa seeds. It will remove bacteria and make it safe to drink, without any chemicals added.

The seed powder can also be used as a quick and reliable method for cleaning an entire river. The powder binds with solids in the water and sinks to the bottom removing bacteria in the process..."

(This is an example of why it is good to research deeper, and question everything that you see and hear...)

Here is a little more information on the idea of purifying water with moringa seeds:
https://news.psu.edu/story/358048/2...dy-inexpensive-process-clean-water-developing

"... the dried seed powder alone is not ideal for water purification because the organic matter from the seed will remain in the water, providing a food source for any bacteria that have not been killed. As a result, water treated with this seed does not remain safe to drink after some time in storage.

In 2012, Velegol and a team of Penn State researchers published a paper showing that MOCP can easily be attached to grains of sand. When the sand is mixed with unsafe water, bacteria stick to the sand and are killed. The newly-clean water can then be removed and stored for later use. Then the sand can be rinsed to remove the organic matter and “recycled” for another round of purification.

In Velegol’s most recent study, published in the April edition of Langmuir, she, along with chemical engineering assistant professor Manish Kumar and chemical engineering students Kevin Shebek, Kathleen Lauser, Allen Schantz and Ian Sines, used a combination of cryogenic electron microscopy and fluorescence assays to discover that the cationic protein isolated from Moringa seeds kills water-borne bacteria by causing their cell membranes to fuse.

This study revealed the mechanism by which MOCP turns polluted water into safe drinking water.

But there are still questions to be answered before the Moringa protein can be used on a large scale to purify water. One question is which Moringa seeds are most efficient in water clarification. The researchers knew that leaves and seeds harvested in different seasons differ in nutrient content, but did the seeds’ ability to kill bacteria also vary based on the season and the seed’s maturity level?

“One of the biggest challenges in using Moringa seeds for cleaning water is that people don’t know which seeds work and don’t work,” Velegol says.

This is a problem because if people use the wrong seeds, they will think their water is clean when, in fact, it’s not.

So the researchers teamed up with Bashir Abubakar, a botanist from Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Nigeria. Abubakar brought four kinds of seeds of different maturity levels and harvest times from Nigeria to Penn State. The researchers then studied their mass, oil content and ability to kill bacteria and clarify water.

They found that the extracted protein of mature dried seeds collected in the rainy season is most effective, followed by mature dried seeds collected in the dry season..."

http://moringafarms.com/growing-moringa/

"Choosing a suitable environment is essential for Moringa to grow well.

Direct exposure to sunlight, warmth and water with loamy soil is crucial for this tree.

For those who live in the United States, particularly the southern and western states, you are in luck and can grow Moringa outdoors. The Philippines cultivates most of its Moringa during the summer, though, it can be grown year-round, in any tropical, sub-tropical, temperate or equatorial climate.

Within the United States, we believe that Moringa grows well in Hardiness Zones 9 and 10 outdoors. With the right conditions, it can grow in Zone 8 as well."

------------------------------

I am growing "Dwarf" Moringa. This plant will remain short if you prune the growing tips, and is perfect for container growing. It can be brought inside for the winter if you don't live in a tropical or subtropic area. It is a beautiful plant, so I don't mind babysitting it indoors during winter.

Like its bigger cousin, Dwarf Moringa leaves are valued for its nutritional content. The plant is high in protein and rich in minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. The leaves, flowers, seeds, and immature seedpods are edible. The seeds also contain a high quality oil. Note: the roots are poisonous.

Although it is a slow germinator (2 - 3 weeks) it is easy enough to grow from seed. Likes full sun and adequate moisture. Hates frost, and can barely tolerate the lightest frost and will need to spend the winter in frost-free conditions.

Seeds are available from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company (https://www.rareseeds.com/).

Latest posts

Back