The US Has No Grain Reserves - Feed/Seed Shortages

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The part of montana that did not get 6 feet of snow is rangeland and mountains. Not an area you can grow corn either.

Another internet scare tactic.

The prices would reflect this in the markets. Wouldn't the news be reporting this? Yes, Montana is not so much of a corn state, although there is a native Indian variety that is short seasoned that was grown there. It is more of a wheat state. They used to raise lots of sugar beets in the very eastern part of the state.

I recently ran across a video explaining how there were tax and possibly loan benefits for farmers to build silos. This allows the country to increase food reserves while not having a strategic reserve. It also allows the farmer to sell when prices are high rather than at or before harvest.

A grain silo can give you tax breaks but it can also limit the use of your land. Check your local regulations before you build or install one.

A grain silo can give you tax breaks but it can also limit the use of your land. Check your local regulations before you build or install one.
I am wondering if you are talking about physical space or a regulation? Either way, I have never heard of this. The further north you go, the more grain bins you will see. I have talked about it here before. When I last drove around the countryside of South Dakota, a few years ago, I was really surprised by the size and amount of grain bins people had. The grain bins are so much larger, and farmers have several of them. Having been around some farms with grain bins (similar to silos), I can tell you that they are usually kept in the farmyard where no plowing or seeding of crops are done anyway. It is good to keep them close to the home so that they can be seen in case someone would think to come and help themselves.

I know that many farmers in Nebraska and South Dakota were not able to plant all the crops they usually do this year due to the weather conditions. My real guess is that we have a lot of grain in storage in the U.S.

The part of montana that did not get 6 feet of snow is rangeland and mountains. Not an area you can grow corn either.

Another internet scare tactic.
Exactly. You need look no further than low grain prices and the vast overabundance of supply to see why people won't buy grain silos.
Ask yourself, if you're going to lose a dollar on every bushel you store, how many thousands of bushels would you want to store?
They are desperate to sell ANYTHING!

BTW, the sugar-cane harvesting has begun around here. Every spare acre within a 20-mile radius of me is sporting 12-foot tall cane. There will be NO sugar shortage either!

*Disclosure: In the original video, I couldn't make it past where he starts quoting The Los Angeles Times as an expert on grain farming.

Last edited:
There is plenty of grain, and there will be until the international market opens back up. Farmers are getting raked over the coals all over the Midwest, and I suspect all over the nation, because of the low prices. My brother has been farming since 1984 and last year was the first time since then that he had to carry over any debt due to losing money. There's a huge oversupply creating the low prices. Nobody should worry at all about running out...

U.S.D.A. approves payments for flood-spoiled grain in southwest Iowa bins
sept-10-2019
https://www.radioiowa.com/2019/09/10/usda-payments-for-flood-spoiled-grain-in-southwest-iowa-bins/

11million in grain lost...and 11.5million in damages to grain bins...this just in 3 counties...theres more if you wanna search it out....

According to state officials, farmers in Fremont, Mills and Potawattamie Counties lost nearly $11 million worth of corn and soybeans when Missouri River floodwaters swamped their grain bins. In some cases, the submerged grain swelled as it spoiled and the walls of the bins ruptured. Officials estimate more than $11.5 million worth of damage was done to 418 Iowa grain bins this spring.

you are entitled to your opinions and thoughts...as well as i am..but this is prep forum so i am going to post and talk about the things i am seeing and reading....if you live in area with plenty of grain and other such resources count your blessing...we all live in different areas seeing different events.

my area started feeding hay 3 weeks ago....we dont feed hay till end of december here usually...hay is already in short supply and has been.

Last edited:
U.S.D.A. approves payments for flood-spoiled grain in southwest Iowa bins
sept-10-2019
https://www.radioiowa.com/2019/09/10/usda-payments-for-flood-spoiled-grain-in-southwest-iowa-bins/

11million in grain lost...and 11.5million in damages to grain bins...this just in 3 counties...theres more if you wanna search it out....

According to state officials, farmers in Fremont, Mills and Potawattamie Counties lost nearly $11 million worth of corn and soybeans when Missouri River floodwaters swamped their grain bins. In some cases, the submerged grain swelled as it spoiled and the walls of the bins ruptured. Officials estimate more than $11.5 million worth of damage was done to 418 Iowa grain bins this spring.

you are entitled to your opinions and thoughts...as well as i am..but this is prep forum so i am going to post and talk about the things i am seeing and reading....if you live in area with plenty of grain and other such resources count your blessing...we all live in different areas seeing different events.

my area started feeding hay 3 weeks ago....we dont feed hay till end of december here usually...hay is already in short supply and has been.
That's too bad. I certainly don't wish the folks any ill will. The part I think is sad is that they don't know another more sustainable way. The farmers will be paid. Corn, soy and wheat are extremely subsidized. Many of the farmers are bound by the golden handcuffs and do (spray) whatever necessary to increase the yield. But the folks who rely on those grains will hurt. Like most (all?) problems, it's not just one simple stand alone task or law or issue. It's a tangled web. Ex. Much of the corn goes to feed livestock. Most livestock aren't meant to have a grain based diet and in turn have adverse reactions requiring other measures to keep them "healthy." That stock is fed to people who are ingesting the whole realm - and suffering the consequences. People aren't meant to eat large portions of grains either. So when I hear of grains being destroyed, I actually see it as a positive thing. Our government has pushed and promoted a vegetarian diet. My opinion- so they will have further control over the population. For some reason raising and eating animals fed the diet they were meant to eat doesn't occur to anyone. Yes, we each have our opinions. I mean no offense- am just of a different mindset.

Historic Midwest Blizzard Has Farmers Seeing "Massive Crop Losses...As Devastating As We've Ever Seen"

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/hi...g-massive-crop-lossesas-devastating-weve-ever

According to the USDA, only 15 percent of all U.S. corn and only 14 percent of all U.S. soybeans had been harvested as of October 6th

Only 58% of U.S. corn was mature as of Oct. 6 and just 15% was harvested, according to the latest data from U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). North Dakota’s crop was furthest behind, with just 22% of corn mature and none harvested as of Sunday, while South Dakota’s corn was 36% mature with 2% harvested.

U.S. soybeans were only 14% harvested as of Sunday, 20 percentage points behind the average pace, USDA data showed. North Dakota and Minnesota beans were just 8% gathered while Iowa’s and South Dakota’s crop was only 5% harvested.

Historic Midwest Blizzard Has Farmers Seeing "Massive Crop Losses...As Devastating As We've Ever Seen"

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/hi...g-massive-crop-lossesas-devastating-weve-ever

According to the USDA, only 15 percent of all U.S. corn and only 14 percent of all U.S. soybeans had been harvested as of October 6th

Only 58% of U.S. corn was mature as of Oct. 6 and just 15% was harvested, according to the latest data from U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). North Dakota’s crop was furthest behind, with just 22% of corn mature and none harvested as of Sunday, while South Dakota’s corn was 36% mature with 2% harvested.

U.S. soybeans were only 14% harvested as of Sunday, 20 percentage points behind the average pace, USDA data showed. North Dakota and Minnesota beans were just 8% gathered while Iowa’s and South Dakota’s crop was only 5% harvested.
I love a good alarmist story.
For the farmers in North Dakota and Minnesota it's a disaster, for sure.
Fortunately that is not where most of the country's grain comes from.
If the country was going to come up short on grain, the commodity prices would skyrocket. Fast and a lot!
Well, nobody takes the time to LOOK at the price (supply/availability) of grain.
Except me.
We'll have a look at corn, wheat and soybeans as of TODAY.
(You remember the Chinese being in the news for coming over last Friday and saying they were going to buy billions of dollars of soybeans? We should see that reflected in the price.)
I circled the 52-week low and high on the charts so you can see where today's price is in the grand scale of things.
CormPrice.JPG

WheatPrice.JPG

Here you can see the Chinese order for soybeans 'saving' the market:
SoybeansPrice.JPG

Here's a bushel of corn. It weighs 56 pounds. It costs $3.93 :
bushel-corn_sm.jpg

(that's about seven cents per pound)
Scarce and outrageously expensive?

Last edited:
Then why did Springfield (pork company) have to buy corn from Brazil? Chinese pigs have the African Swine disease, so they've killed a lot of them. China eats a lot of pork. Just found out today that Springfield USA is a Chinese owned company.
They probably had a contract and got it for less than 7-cents per pound:rolleyes:.

Then why did Springfield (pork company) have to buy corn from Brazil? Chinese pigs have the African Swine disease, so they've killed a lot of them. China eats a lot of pork. Just found out today that Springfield USA is a Chinese owned company.
I don't know but a few ideas come to mind. They own companies all over the world. They may be buying from themselves. they may be shipping on their own freighters. They may wish to spend less in America, it is a trade war.

I've been thinking about this.
Shipping grain into USA:
Bad for our farmers,
Bad for our trade surplus with Brazil without adding to surplus of China and showing up on their spreadsheet,
Bad for USA economy,
China is buying up the world, and printing money to do it, so price is inconsequential,
Drives down grain prices in USA so anything they buy here they pay less for.

I already try not to buy anything from China. Perhaps I should tighten my purchasing precheck on manufacture.

OK, then don't buy Smithfield pork. They are China owned.
I'm trying to wrap my head around pharmaceuticals. If no meds are made in the USA anymore, why are they pricey?
Because of our laws and labeling and red tape. You are so close, I would go to Mexico for medical care and meds.
"So close" is a relative of course.

Latest posts

Back