The US Has No Grain Reserves - Feed/Seed Shortages

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of our laws and labeling and red tape. You are so close, I would go to Mexico for medical care and meds.
"So close" is a relative of course.
I'm much closer than Amish is and I won't go to Mexico for medical care. The violence in Mexico doesn't make the news any more but its still there. There are places in Mexico that provide good care but I'm not willing to risk my safety to save a few bucks.

Ma
I'm much closer than Amish is and I won't go to Mexico for medical care. The violence in Mexico doesn't make the news any more but its still there. There are places in Mexico that provide good care but I'm not willing to risk my safety to save a few bucks.
Makes sense. I've not been there but know a few folks who have gone down for medical treatment. One was a child who they wanted to do major surgery on and massive drugs. They went down there and were treated then said they needed to see him back in a year. Parents were shocked and asked about the 6 mo. to live that they were told by US docs. They said he's to come back in a year. He's still alive. (Sorry a little off topic.)

10-3-2019
As much as I like a good "gloom & doom" report about a farm "near Chicago" made by a reporter from "Manhattan" about farming, I thought I'd post a video about WHY there will be no grain shortage.
This should cheer you up.
Corn harvesting in Indiana just 5 days ago:

I can bury this thread with plenty more videos showing only the immense tonnage that is actually videoed each week.
If you're worried about a shortage, look at the markets.

Last edited:
listen up dude...get over yourself...the title of this thread is is u.s. has no grain reserves-feed/seed shortages. its a fact the u.s. strategic grain reserves was done away with decades ago.....the rest of title is seed/feed shortages..i never said we dont have grain.its to track shortages in areas...not to argue that other areas have plenty in the area. its shortages in areas ok...my area is seeing shortages of feed/corn/pasture etc. its not economical to truck feed very far....say 1000 miles a way.....please stop with trying to argue with me..i never said we are going to die....some us are experiencing shortages and dont have the economic ability to just truck more in from long distance...short distance yes but not long distance.links below...the first 2 have been done away with..the third now only holds cash.this has nothing to do with whats being held in farmers bins now or corporation bins. only that what once was in basically no more.

Farmer-Owned Grain Reserve
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer-Owned_Grain_Reserve

Food Security Wheat Reserve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Security_Wheat_Reserve

Bill Emerson Humanitarian Trust

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Emerson_Humanitarian_Trust

Last edited:
Grains , soy bean, and feed corn did well in central Kansas this year. But not in eastern Kansas.
That's the way it works. Farming is good times and bad times.
Like everybody panicking about the Grand Solar Minimum.
Basically it means that land to the north will be less grain productive and land to the south will be more productive.
That's all.

one of my communities youngest farmers struggling to make a go of it i seen last few days mowing an abandon farm for 'hay' thats been bought and not in use. he has made a deal to mow .its probably 20%-30% stick weeds and blackberry briers.its been dead for months so its pretty low quality stuff but he/we/commuity are so desperate for any type of feed hes mowing. the field is actually a fire hazard till now. its going to be some pretty low quality feed for his cattle. i want to see him make .was by a large corn field and its pretty sad. they cut outside edge and stopped. its so dry i think it wont make silage now. i have cut corn pretty dry and we actually pumped water into the blower to give it extra moisture to ferment properly and its way drier now than then. i even think its to dry to make a produce called earliage where only ear is cut and ground .its a powerful version of silage. i am pretty sure the guy is going to have to pick the corn to get best use from it now in its condition.

one of my communities youngest farmers struggling to make a go of it i seen last few days mowing an abandon farm for 'hay' thats been bought and not in use. he has made a deal to mow .its probably 20%-30% stick weeds and blackberry briers.its been dead for months so its pretty low quality stuff but he/we/commuity are so desperate for any type of feed hes mowing. the field is actually a fire hazard till now. its going to be some pretty low quality feed for his cattle. i want to see him make .was by a large corn field and its pretty sad. they cut outside edge and stopped. its so dry i think it wont make silage now. i have cut corn pretty dry and we actually pumped water into the blower to give it extra moisture to ferment properly and its way drier now than then. i even think its to dry to make a produce called earliage where only ear is cut and ground .its a powerful version of silage. i am pretty sure the guy is going to have to pick the corn to get best use from it now in its condition.
That's much more on point than saying "The US Has No Grain Reserves" and referring that we're all going to suffer.
I feel your pain. I spent plenty of hours crawled up inside of a combine making adjustments to save farmers from having a losing year verses one that they could make money.
They didn't know how to change the adjustments to compensate for varying conditions.
I could make just 3 adjustments and change their operation from 'losing thousands' to 'making thousands'.
I was well liked before there was anything called "likes".

I've been there when their harvest was shut down when the combine sucked up a runaway fence-post and destroyed it's internals.
Talk about being under time constraints:eek:
Toss a 6" log into a complicated machine with spinning parts. It's carnage.
All along, I worked with them thru adverse weather conditions.
When a combine is mired up in 6-feet of mud and the driver pushed it too hard and broke the traction belt.
Who ya' gonna call?
waveguy.gif

Just wanted you to know I'm not just an armchair-warrior.
I've been there.

I can bury this thread with plenty more videos showing only the immense tonnage that is actually videoed each week.
If you're worried about a shortage, look at the markets.

I sincerely hope you don't try those tactics just because you don't like the information and in your opinion it is wrong. If you think wrong, you've already said that. No need to be nasty about it. Heck, someone may do the same to your opinion on a topic at some other time.

I sincerely hope you don't try those tactics just because you don't like the information and in your opinion it is wrong. If you think wrong, you've already said that. No need to be nasty about it. Heck, someone may do the same to your opinion on a topic at some other time.
My sincere apologies. Poor choice of words on my part.
I was just trying to say that there are a lot of positive videos on this. I only posted one.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is any kind of shortage but I am mostly on this thread to see another point-of-view. I was wrong once and I still remember it so now I do try to have an open mind about things. So thanks for this thread elkhound!

Going on our latest experience in Australia things to watch out for is the grain production latest figures and forecasts to know what to stock up on and when as the price increases just come all of a sudden and they are usually delayed by a few months. Our grain harvest figures here in Australia are down by 18 % and forecast to be the same next year due to droughts and floods. Our prices have just started to go up on grain products and jumped by a fair bit as did the price of fruit, vegetables and meat.

There is some credance in what @elkhound is saying and keep an eye out for the above figures. Not knowing what reserves you have in the US or what we have here either I will just give my observations based on facts. It is good to have reserves but if production dramatically decreases then those reserves won't last long and it is best to be prepared.

Here is the summary of grain production in the United States in summary from August https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Todays_Reports/reports/crop0819.pdf and refer to page 2 which reads -

Corn Production Down 4 Percent from 2018
Soybean Production Down 19 Percent from 2018
Cotton Production Up 23 Percent from 2018
Winter Wheat Production Up 3 Percent from July Forecast

With more information on other crops on page 2.

@Weedygarden and @Sewingcreations15 , great reports.
A quick read reveals just how many factors are involved. Basically the less supply verses demand, the price goes up and we just export less.
The drought conditions in Australia are mentioned in the world report because they are significant for supply and demand.
All grain that is harvested goes into storage of some kind. If it hasn't been processed or exported in a year, it's still there. They call it "beginning stocks" and it affects supply/price the following year.

Last edited:
10-18-2019

Early October cold could lead to shortage of sweet corn seed, dry beans

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loc...cle_d8762792-f95c-5b0c-ac4b-820f991c4778.html

SWEET CORN SEED

George Crookham, CEO of Crookham Company in Caldwell, estimates that 12-20% of his company’s sweet corn seed was still in the ground when it froze last week.

“If the seed freezes, it kills the germination, which renders the seed unsaleable,” Crookham said. “However, we will not know the extent of the damage until we finish harvest and we have tested the seed. That being said, we know that we got hurt, we just don’t know the extent.”

Canyon County is one of the top five seed production areas in the world, according to the Idaho-Eastern Oregon Seed Association. The county’s seed production has an approximate value of $300 million annually.

a little good news for feed in my area..we got rain..i measured 1 inch, then a few days later 2inches 4tenths,then yesterday 7 tenths...pasture is growing...anything is helpful. if we could get grazing in till end of November it would be good but last year second week f nov. we got hit with 6f temps and as they say that was that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back