The Veterans Administration, the V.A.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A young man that I met at a dog park, posted this today. I'm old enough to be his grandmother as well. Another kind young man who is friendly with everyone, grew up in a trailer park with his mother and 6 sisters and has never met his father. He has worked hard to improve his life, serving in the military. He has never been arrested. When you come from a troubled background, mentally ill and addicted mother, you are always swimming upstream. So many don't have what it takes to overcome what life has handed them, but in many ways the military gives them what they needed, until they are discharged.

When people volunteer their lives to serve our country and then get slapped in the face and kicked in the pants, it makes me sad and angry. I know it could be worse for him. I know he has to take time off work to attend these sessions.

" I'm so glad I found a therapist outside the va system. My va therapist hasn't shown up three times in 2 months and this time she's not even calling to cancel I just sat here for 15 minutes. They do not give a s*** about veterans in any va system in any state."

I have had nothing but good experiences with the VA system.
My healthcare team is quick to respond to messages and always helpful.
I have never had problems with appointments or getting lab work done.
If I need something they don't provide at the small clinic they will gladly get me a referral to a civilian doctor.
If I want I can switch from the VA system to outside care at any time.

The VA, like any organisation, has good people and bad. I've had some good care from the VA. Unfortunately, I've had some really poor care. The VA has tort protection. Many of their doctors are one suit away from losing their license or insurance. I've had really good luck with the technicians.

My experiences with the VA are good and bad. I've interacted with great people and scum whose only goal is a retirement check.

Honest appraisal from a man who has serviced catscans in hundreds of hospitals, a few of them VA. I've also relied on both VA and civilian hosp. for care.

The VA is always a day late and a dollar short. Even the best VA's are still a little below the standards of their civilian counterparts.

The best of both worlds is when the VA subs out certain health issues to civilians.

My worst care at a VA. A misdiagnosed broken neck. They actually told me I’d sprained my neck. Then they let me walk around 2 months with my broken neck before someone went back and checked my x-rays again. Then I got the metal cage with screws in my skull.

And it gets worse. They over prescribed my pain medication. 18hours in I passed out in the office and was rushed back to the VA hospital, suspected drug OD. Until they read my prescription. They over prescribed enough darvocet to sedate a horse! No wonder I passed out! Thankfully I wasn’t able to continue taking my meds which was 3 times to much. They almost killed me!

Best care at the VA were my eye surgeries. They farmed my surgery to one of the best eye trauma centers in the country, top of the line civilian care. A great experience!

No 2 VA’s are the same. The quality of care is directly related to the hospital staff. Good people, good care. Lazy scum drawing a paycheck, crappy care.

Last edited:
I saw the word “therapist “ in the original post.
The VA has a separate, stand alone, place called Vet Centers specifically for combat vets with PTSD and other “readjustment “ issues.
It was set up in 1982 for Vietnam vets who did not want anything to do with the VA, and trust me the VA of 1982 was the pits.
It has since opened eligibility to combat vets of any era.
The Vet Centers, by law, do not share their records with the VA, even though they are part of VA.
I was a client of a Vet Center from 1985 to 1995, and they quite literally saved my life.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the VA system.
My healthcare team is quick to respond to messages and always helpful.
I have never had problems with appointments or getting lab work done.
If I need something they don't provide at the small clinic they will gladly get me a referral to a civilian doctor.
If I want I can switch from the VA system to outside care at any time.

Ditto for me.

I will say....it hasn't always been this good.

I been in VA healthcare since 1968.
It's at it's best now.
Gotta tell ya Trump.helped us a lot.

We have Community Care.
90% of my specalist are outside the system.
Nuero surgeon.
Electrophysiologist.
Cardiology.
Orthopedic .( Both knees are titanium)

I've never been a penny outta pocket.

Only my primary care is done by VA.

Jim

Latest posts

Back