The Warmest month on Record for "ALASKA"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Yellow leaves on the ground here also. High fire danger so I can't burn my trash. I have to water my orchard and plants every couple of days. I get up early and open the house and cool it off as much as possible so the house stays cool enough as I don't have A/C.

Yellow leaves on the ground here also. High fire danger so I can't burn my trash. I have to water my orchard and plants every couple of days. I get up early and open the house and cool it off as much as possible so the house stays cool enough as I don't have A/C.

I have had to deal with 2 large old dogs in the house because of heat.
They make me sneeze,eyes teary etc,So today we went and got an AC window unit for their dog house. It was $149 but had to do something.
Heat index 111 today,feels like a steam room outside.My old dogs were breathing very hard.
Man who sold us AC at Loews said horses are falling down in their stalls using fans and sprayers and still can't cool them off .People are coming in to store asking questions and buying AC for horses and animals.

YOU'RE DOGS HAVE A/C AND I DON'T?!!!

Poor man’s AC…

My employer transferred me to Buffalo NY one spring. I leased a 3 bedroom ranch w/full basement.

That summer a heatwave hit Buffalo. No one in Buffalo had air-conditioning. I was working long hours 70/80 hrs per week.

I came home one night and my house was cooking, almost 100 degrees inside. I dragged a mattress down to the nice cool basement and slept there.

The next day I had an idea…

The house was cooking again when I got home.

I checked that the furnace fan motor ran on 110v. I cut the electrical cord to the motor and spliced on an extension cord and left off the fan cover plate. I pulled out the return ducting air filter and stuck in a piece of card board the same size.

I plugged in the fan motor… it began to blow 65-degree air from the basement to the upstairs through the heat ducting.

Within an hour the upstairs was a comfy 70 degrees. I could only run my poor mans AC 3 nights before the basement heated up… had to suffer one night before running it again.

There you go, poor mans AC... I just had to convert it back before winter!:D

Poor man’s AC…

My employer transferred me to Buffalo NY one spring. I leased a 3 bedroom ranch w/full basement.

That summer a heatwave hit Buffalo. No one in Buffalo had air-conditioning. I was working long hours 70/80 hrs per week.

I came home one night and my house was cooking, almost 100 degrees inside. I dragged a mattress down to the nice cool basement and slept there.

The next day I had an idea…

The house was cooking again when I got home.

I checked that the furnace fan motor ran on 110v. I cut the electrical cord to the motor and spliced on an extension cord and left off the fan cover plate. I pulled out the return ducting air filter and stuck in a piece of card board the same size.

I plugged in the fan motor… it began to blow 65-degree air from the basement to the upstairs through the heat ducting.

Within an hour the upstairs was a comfy 70 degrees. I could only run my poor mans AC 3 nights before the basement heated up… had to suffer one night before running it again.

There you go, poor mans AC... I just had to convert it back before winter!:D

Smart trick Peanut.:cool:

Instead of pulling cool air from your basement use a geogrid to cool your house. This would be hard to do with a rental but if you own your home or are having a house built just bury an appopriate amount of tubing under ground and use a fan to pull air through the grid and into your home. You can also use the geogrid to use less energy to heat your home in the winter.

Methane is going to be a serious problem, as the permafrost thaws, if this warming cycle lasts for very many years.

just burn it. The methane turns into CO2 and water. The water condenses and joins the water cycle and the CO2 is used by plants to make new growth and oxygen.

just burn it. The methane turns into CO2 and water. The water condenses and joins the water cycle and the CO2 is used by plants to make new growth and oxygen.

How would you capture it.......??? It would come up out of the ground (Nearly everywhere) in Alaska/Russia/Canada/Greenland/etc..

And because it is heavier then air, it would settle into low valleys/lakes and suffocate all animal life. There was a town in Russia where all life in the valley died, Humans, Cattle, wild animals, up to a specific elevation on the hills everything was dead, all life was dead. The methane was trapped in the valley. They speculated that it was triggered by the water temperature in a lake warming and thawing the ice that was holding down a huge pocket of methane.

Last edited:
Put a clear plastic sheet on the ground or on the bottom of a lake or pond and stir up the silt after securing the edges. Methane is lighter than air.

Chemical Properties Of Methane

Methane is lighter than air, having a specific gravity of 0.554. It is only slightly soluble in water. It burns readily in air, forming carbon dioxide and water vapour; the flame is pale, slightly luminous, and very hot. The boiling point of methane is −162 °C (−259.6 °F) and the melting point is −182.5 °C (−296.5 °F). Methane in general is very stable, but mixtures of methane and air, with the methane content between 5 and 14 percent by volume, are explosive. Explosions of such mixtures have been frequent in coal mines and collieries and have been the cause of many mine disasters.
https://www.britannica.com/science/methane

i watch 2 station's when it comes to the news n all.one of them is saying 100 and 101 for this coming week.and that don't even include the heat index.i hope we don't have a drought like we did in 2014 where fires were popping up everywhere. .

So what is the difference between Methane and Sewer Gas and Natural Gas.

Is Natural Gas heavier then air....???

I lived on permafrost for 25 years. In the summer we could dig down a foot or two till we hit permafrost when we were camping, throw our food in the hole, and cover it with a piece of plywood or a tarp and have a cooler that never ran out of ice.

Natural gas is methane with other compounds.

And Propane is Natural Gas with stinky cabbage additive for safety. So why does the propane gas just "Lay" on the surface of my stove till I light it, if it is lighter then air.......???

...Chemical Properties Of Methane
Methane is lighter than air, having a specific gravity of 0.554. It is only slightly soluble in water...
... And because it is heavier then air, it would settle into low valleys/lakes and suffocate all animal life. There was a town in Russia where all life in the valley died, Humans, Cattle, wild animals, up to a specific elevation on the hills everything was dead, all life was dead. The methane was trapped in the valley...
Guess what.
One of these is correct.
One is a propaganda lie.
You guys slug it out.
fight.gif

I think both are "Likely" Correct. And that factors like temperature and if the air is move or trapped, also inversions and maybe even barometric pressure. I know that if you fall through and into a "Log Crib" sewage pit the trapped sewage gas will kill you. We had two fireman die. First one jumped in to save a child, the second fireman jumped in to save the first fireman. The logs on the cover had rotted. The actual sewage was only four feet deep.

I think both are "Likely" Correct. And that factors like temperature and if the air is move or trapped, also inversions and maybe even barometric pressure. I know that if you fall through and into a "Log Crib" sewage pit the trapped sewage gas will kill you. We had two fireman die. First one jumped in to save a child, the second fireman jumped in to save the first fireman. The logs on the cover had rotted. The actual sewage was only four feet deep.
Without the rotten logs covering the pit, the methane/sewer gas would have escaped long before it could accumulate.
As far as different temperatures or barometric pressures go, they would effect the density of both the methane and surrounding air the same in the valley.
IE: If they were both colder, they would both be more dense, but the methane would still be less dense than air.
Density at STP (standard temperature and pressure) 0-degrees C at one atmosphere pressure at sea level:
Co2- 1.96 grams per liter.
Propane- 1.97 grams per liter.
Air- 1.20 - 1.29 grams per liter (because it contains a various amount of water vapor they can't decide).
Methane- .714 grams per liter.

If there was a tremendous amount of c02 or propane spilled in the valley, yes it could have killed all life. Methane, no.

Last edited:
Well........none of it matters the least little bit to me. I am near 73 y/o and whatever may come will be other peoples problem.

Propane is a byproduct of processing natural gas or petroleum and is heavier than air.

The methane in the video comes from the rotting plants on the bottom of the lake. If you could stir up the bottom of the lake and capture the gas you would have a valuable energy source. You could use it for cooking, heating or running a generator. There are vast deposits of methane on the bottom of the oceans. The pressure keeps the methane solid. Every once in awhile it will get disturbed and a large bubble will come to the surface.

I work with some Alaskan natives and the first-hand reports from family are not good. Lots of dead sea life and other things never seen before. Whatever is going on has not happened in as long as anyone can remember.

I work with some Alaskan natives and the first-hand reports from family are not good. Lots of dead sea life and other things never seen before. Whatever is going on has not happened in as long as anyone can remember.

Things going on for sure. We may not even try to have a garden this Fall. It is so hot and humid its unreal.
I've never in all my life seen so many clouds without rain either.o_O
We will have bad storms with lightening and loud thunder and hardly no rain. Only a few down pours this year. Yet air is full of moisture.:dunno:

Latest posts

Back