The Wrong Part of Town (Short Story/PAW Fiction)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya_6

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Here is a short story that I wrote a few months back. A woman makes a rare trip into an urban area and finds herself stuck when the "s" hits the fan. She has to get out of an increasingly hostile environment and find her way back to the safety of her home.

Full story here: http://random-x.000webhostapp.com/story3.html

The beginning is below:

The Wrong Part of Town

It was six o'clock on a sweltering hot Friday and the traffic was slowing down a bit on the freeway. Clarice normally hated driving into the city yet this time she was glad to make the trip. She had been watching gun auction sites for a good deal on a bullpup shotgun and finally found a Mossberg at a pawn shop in the city, now she was heading over to pick it up.

The hourly news came on the radio and the announcer gave an update on the latest police shooting along with the protests that were planned at police headquarters later that night. This would be the third night of protests in a row, and while she knew it wasn't the best time to go into the city she told herself it would be fine. The pawn shop was not anywhere near the main police station and the natives wouldn't get restless until after dark. No worries. While a sweltering hot August night was perfect for riots, there was also a good chance of rain.

She finally saw her exit and pulled off the highway into stop and go traffic. The four lane road had run down houses on either side, and nearly every one had a short chain link fence around the front yard. At half mile intervals a liquor store or corner market would appear complete with a group of poorly dressed men loitering out front.

Traffic was moving along nicely, then the radio caught her attention, "We are getting reports of a possible explosion in Washington DC. Details are scarce, however sources say..."

She glanced at the radio after it went silent and then she was startled to hear a loud crunch as the car in the next lane over was rear ended. Another car up ahead jumped the curb and hit a light pole. The cars in front of Clarice started slowing but no brake lights flashed, she hit her brakes and the pedal felt oddly stiff. She realized the car was dead and was coasting.

All of the vehicles on the road came to a stop.

Last edited:
Fun read, thanks. I especially like the last two lines.

Thanks for all of the kind comments, they are very much appreciated. Even "short" stories take several hours to write/edit (at least for me, takes me forever to edit).

Hope the story line didn't move too fast and that the reader can picture the scenes in their head as it goes along. I try hard to incorporate various elements that hopefully let the reader see it in their minds eye and feel like they are in the various situations with the character.

Thanks for all of the kind comments, they are very much appreciated. Even "short" stories take several hours to write/edit (at least for me, takes me forever to edit).

Hope the story line didn't move too fast and that the reader can picture the scenes in their head as it goes along. I try hard to incorporate various elements that hopefully let the reader see it in their minds eye and feel like they are in the various situations with the character.

Sony_6 : You did a great job of providing enough detail for the reader, without having the story get bogged down. I understand the time and effort that goes into writing, since I have no creative skills. Thank you for the story and I will be waiting for your next one.

Latest posts

Back