Thermoelectric Power

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that guy is annoying but he often has decent content.

Size really does matter when it comes to heat storage there is no doubt!
Heat storage is not a 'battery'.
They kept mentioning how it could be used to store 'electricity' from solar panels.
I was curious how they got the stored heat to generate electric power back out.
Well its simple, you just use your steam turbine generator!:p;)
(from the video):
Screenshot_20240326-173329_kindlephoto-2988820219.png

Just because I haven't been working on this project of late doesn't mean I haven't been thinking on it. I have the new stove & mass design mostly worked out in my mind using things I have for the most part. There are some things I will have to buy so it's gonna be awhile as I am running a frayed shoestring budget here.

I am not going to watch the video, but will state that thermal mass is a battery, not in the electrical sense but it stores heat and later releases it, thus a battery

I turned to Wikipedia for a solution to the debate... Thermal energy is not an electrical battery, it is an Energy Storage Device, a group of devices which batteries fall into.

Note: I did edit the line about Green Hydrogen, I deleted "more economical " and replaced "in terms of" and added "with lower", I despise claiming an economic advantage by referencing one cost while ignoring others.

From Wikipedia:
Common examples of energy storage are the rechargeable battery, which stores chemical energy readily convertible to electricity to operate a mobile phone; the hydroelectric dam, which stores energy in a reservoir as gravitational potential energy; and ice storage tanks, which store ice frozen by cheaper energy at night to meet peak daytime demand for cooling. Green hydrogen, from the electrolysis of water, is a means of long-term renewable energy storage with lower capital expenditures than pumped-storage hydroelectricity or batteries.[citation needed][2][failed verification][3][failed verification] Fossil fuels such as coal and gasoline store ancient energy derived from sunlight by organisms that later died, became buried and over time were then converted into these fuels. Food (which is made by the same process as fossil fuels) is a form of energy stored in chemical form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage

Heat storage is not a 'battery'.
They kept mentioning how it could be used to store 'electricity' from solar panels.
I was curious how they got the stored heat to generate electric power back out.
Well its simple, you just use your steam turbine generator!:p;)
(from the video):

You don't.

The point of the system is that you convert electrical energy from solar panels, to heat in the sand, and then use that heat to heat your house.

Although you can get it out as electricity, it's very inefficient and not the point of the system.

Back