Thermonuclear pickled eggs, the kind you get at a BBQ joint!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My buddy used to have a jar on the counter, the first one was a buck, the second was free, the third came with an ice cold draft beer and sympathy.

Boil, chill and peel two dozen eggs.
In a gallon jug, fill it half full of white vinegar and one tall boy of PBR or other suitable cheap beer, pour slow or it may foam up. get out your safety glasses!
In a double boiler, melt 1/4 cup of Molasses, add 1 spoon of dill seed, 1 pod of grated habanero pepper (or three red chili peppers, 1/4 spoon of mustard seed
and one pulverized garlic clove, while the flavors combine, dice up a fist sized red onion and add to the brine, add more white vinegar to the broth in the double
boiler slowly, when its thin, add it to your brine and add a tablespoon of pickling salt, add your eggs and shake well, add more vinegar until it covers the eggs
and park it in the back of your fridge for a month. great tailgater snacks!

Sounds like a great way to turn Yourself into a 'DIY carbine cannon'.. 🤓

Thanks for the Receta. :cool: My Wife makes something similar, but with just ACV, onions, carrots (both sliced Thick..) Jalapeño slices w/ seeds, and a bit of oregano.. Then let it 'stew' till everything is close to flammable.

Wondering how your 'nuclear eggs' might be added to hot Kimchi, also.. Could be a really good combo.. (but, I'd bet sleeping with the windows Open that night would be advisable, fer sure.. ;)

Thx
jd

@Magus since we don't really have a thread just for pickled eggs... I hope you don't mind if I add these 2 recipes?

I have tried both of these several times. I like the second recipe best for regular eating (when I don't want to fry my tonsils). I make them once in a while if I have surplus eggs or eggs that are getting older (easier to peel older eggs). I scale both recipes down, 5 or 6 eggs, just enough for a quart jar.

Both recipes are best this time of year when peppers in the garden are getting ripe, nothing beats fresh peppers out of the garden.

Recipe 1

1) 2 Cups of White Vinegar
2) 1/2 Cup of Water
3) 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
4) 1 teaspoonful of salt
5) 1 teaspoonful pickling spice
6) 1 teaspoonful red pepper flakes
7) 4-5 cloves
8) 1 Cinnamon Stick
9) 2-3 Habanero Peppers (orange color) cut into rings (discard stems). Include the seeds as well. BEWARE: the oils from the surface of these can really burn. I usually use the grocery bag they come in to hold them while slicing and cleaning. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling them.
10) 2-3 Green Jalapeno Peppers cut into slices
11) 1/2 Red Pepper cut into strips
12) A few rings of a freshly cut White Onion
Allow all ingredients to simmer on the stove for at least 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally while simmering.

Recipe #2

1 doz. hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 whole cayenne peppers
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
1/2 cup of water
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 tablespoons Tony Chacheres
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Shell your eggs and pack in jar.Mix all the ingredients and boil..Let brine cool then pour over eggs and seal jar..Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks then enjoy..

Last edited:
Please add all you will!
there are far superior recipes than Byron's, he was going for heat to sell beer, same went for those pickled polish sausages, the screaming demons. the old guy was a big fan of red dye#2 or Lea and Perrin's red to set them aside from the regular pickles, which by the way, tasted faintly of kerosene for some reason? we never could figure out why?

I always love Pickled Eggs on my salads. I have canned many dozens of pickled eggs. I have never tried to use beer or molasses in my recipe, so may end up trying with recipe next year when I get some more ghost peppers for the garden.

I'm with you on that! Not usually, but once in a while I like something hot enough to break out a sweat on my forehead. Any hotter and I can no longer taste the food or the beer. Hate to waste a good beer!

Latest posts

Back