Things to see in your state

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There are some great sights in my Kentucky...i will try to share some .

Every state has its own character .

cumberland-falls-corbin.jpg
03162811_7280_600x400.jpg
ccimage-shutterstock_158580764-768x512.jpg
Kentucky-Horse-Farm.jpg
kentucky-pictures-most-beautiful-places-to-visit-covington.jpg

Jim

West Virginia has so much more than people think.
Our country roads will take you where you want to go

our country roads.jpg

Our waterfalls will amaze you
our waterfalls.jpg

We have places to scare you
Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
Lunitic asylum.jpg

And our bridges will awe you. Heck we'll even let ya jump off one day a year!
New River Gorge bridge.jpg

We have cities too. Charleston our capital has it all and riverboats lol
download (2).jpg

Our Valleys aren't so bad either
farmlands.jpg

We have it all and people don't know it ( and I think we like it that way lol)
Whitewater rafting, hiking, camping, fishing,hunting,skiing, train rides, riverboats, concerts, art galleries, flea markets, antique markets, festivals..........

Sorry, no photos. But we have the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta every year. Starts next week. Not too far from where we live. Balloons were up this morning, and our dogs were going nuts.

Here's one for you!

Balloon-Aerial-View-1-1600x900.jpg

Amish, we went to the Grand Canyon in 2002 and spent the night in Albequrque on our way home on the west side of the valley. We got up on Saturday morning and the sky was filled with Ballons. Such a beautiful sight, I'd love to go back and see it again for the whole day, We got to watch for an hour or so before pulling out.

I'll work on some pics from around the state and add later.

There are a lot of "touristy" places to see in Washington and events to attend but most of my fondest memories are remote places in the wilderness areas of the Cascade and Olympic forests.
I also enjoyed fishing in many of the lakes and rivers but my favorite fishing place was the Cedar River. It was close enough to bike to and remote enough that it was me, the river and the fish.

@phideaux Years ago I stopped at the corvette museum in Bowling Green. I enjoyed it.
@WVDragonlady love the pic of the New River gorge bridge... been there a couple of times when I worked in Charleston.
@Sparky_D One of the funniest things I've seen in my life happened on Mt Rainier... It is beautiful there.

Last edited:
We have lots of smaller caves, scattered all over KY.
Some are on local farms, I won't go in some of these, the teens go into them.

Jim
I'm clostrphobic.
I am claustrophobic as well. I have only gone into one cave that was not commercially operated. The Black Hills of South Dakota has several commercial caves. I have been in a few, but I don't think I have been in all of them. Arizona has caves as well.

@phideaux Years ago I stopped at the corvette museum in Bowling Green. I enjoyed it.
@WVDragonlady love the pic of the New River gorge bridge... been there a couple of times when I worked in Charleston.
@Sparky_D One of the funniest things I've seen in my life happened on Mt Rainier... It is beautiful there.
Okay, @Peanut . spill the beans. What is this thing you saw happen on Mt. Rainier that was so funny?

I hear that North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and Alberta are all nice places to see. No need to stop here.
Some people will not agree with you, but I do. Many people think of the plains states as boring. I love the prairie.

I think Washington state is beautiful. I found the Hoh Rain Forest pretty interesting. It is one of the Seven Wonders of Washington State. I camped when I was there, and would love to spend more time there.

We have Redstone arsenal which contains the US Space and Rocket Museum near Huntsville...

Then there is Talladega super speedway which contains a great racing museum...

My favorite... Mobile, home of the original Mardi Gras in the US, still held today. IMO superior to the one held New Orleans...

And beautiful natural scenery, the best of which isn't in the tourist brochures... Shhhh, our secret!

@Patchouli @Cnsper @Weedygarden

I was stuck in Seattle on business, one weekend I drove down to see Mt Rainier. There was a sign about a water fall and a big parking area for tourist. I parked then walked down the trail to see the falls, which were beautiful.

Several feet from me were young folks throwing peanuts (in the hulls) to a big flock of camp Jays or camp robbers (birds). The birds loved them. After a while the young folks left…

Then it happened… An older man with two older women walked up to see the falls (60’s).

One lady had on a hand crocheted knit hat that had short pieces of wooden dowel woven in… I’ve seen them on car seats before…

Anyway these wooden dowels in her hat looked just like peanut hulls. First it was one bird, then another… before I could blink 30 camp jays were trying to eat this lady’s hat. The old guy and other lady are trying to fight them off… finally the hat lady went screaming up the trail with the birds chasing her… at some point she lost her hat! The other two people were chasing after her also.:D:D

When I walked back to the parking lot they had called the rangers who were there taking a report about rabies infected birds that attacked the lady…

I was still laughing to hard to speak, when I overheard the part about the birds with rabies… I lost it, I could no longer breathe after that. :D:D:D

The lady probably sued the park… :D

And I'm the only person who knew what really happened. :D

Last edited:
@Patchouli @Cnsper @Weedygarden

I was stuck in Seattle on business, one weekend I drove down to see Mt Rainier. There was a sign about a water fall and a big parking area for tourist. I parked then walked down the trail to see the falls, which were beautiful.

Several feet from me were young folks throwing peanuts (in the hulls) to a big flock of camp Jays or camp robbers (birds). The birds loved them. After a while the young folks left…

Then it happened… An older man with two older women walked up to see the falls (60’s).

One lady had on a hand crocheted knit hat that had short pieces of wooden dowel woven in… I’ve seen them on car seats before…

Anyway these wooden dowels in her hat looked just like peanut hulls. First it was one bird, then another… before I could blink 30 camp jays were trying to eat this lady’s hat. The old guy and other lady are trying to fight them off… finally the hat lady went screaming up the trail… at some point she lost her hat! The other two people were chasing after her.:D:D

When I walked back to the parking lot they had called the rangers who were there taking a report about rabies infected birds that attacked the lady…

I’m still laughing to hard to speak at this point, when I overheard the part about the birds with rabies… that didn’t help me any because I could no longer breathe after that. :D:D:D

The lady probably sued the park… :D
Nope, guess that was not me then. Been on the mountain many times hunting, fishing and camping. Outside the park of course. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

We were heading back from Skate creek on day and a cop with lights passes us. We get to Elbe and he is sitting in a coffee shop with a coffee and doughnut.

You wonder why there are stereotypes.

I hear that North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and Alberta are all nice places to see. No need to stop here.

I heard the entire Midwest has native American raiding parties, blankets covered in smallpox, and no internet. Plus I am pretty sure gas is like $10 a gallon. Best stick with the coastal states.

Back