Things we Don't Understand, please share!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be mean or inconsiderate or rude or something. I wouldn't hold meals for one person, unless they are in the field or out working or had something going on that prevented them from being there for a few minutes...

Ever since we have been married...if I am not home at noon or at 6 PM eat without me.

Wife: Why didn't you call to let me know you were going to be late?

Me: Because a phone isn't always available. If I am not home at noon or at 6 PM eat without me.

Wife: Children were hungry (reality wife was hungry).

Me: If I am not home at noon or at 6 PM eat without me.

Wife: I wish you would call.

Me: Ring. I'm going to be late.

Wife: How late?

Me: I don't know, a hour or two.

Wife: I'll wait until you get home to start supper.

Me: Since I will not be there at 6 PM, start without me.

Wife: No we will wait.

It is almost 6 PM. I put the lawn mower away, lock up the shed. Wash up and change out of my work clothes. I am in the kitchen at 6, nothing is on the table or on the stove?!?!

Wife: Oh! You are in. I didn't know when you would be coming in, I'll start supper.

Me: Noon and 6 PM Dear.

6 PM and no wife. Work was busy, I worked though lunch, I'm hungry. She hasn't called or text that she's going to be late. 6:30 and still no wife. 7 PM I fix supper for myself (cold meat sandwich) before heading back out to do household chores. 8 PM wife yells out the back door, I didn't hear her come home.

Wife: Suppers ready!

Me: I already ate.

Wife: Why didn't you tell me?

Me: I didn't know you was home and when you wasn't here at 7 I ate.

Wife: You could have waited.

Me: If I had known when you going to get home I could have. How about we just plan on eating at noon and 6 PM and if the other person isn't here we just go ahead and eat?

A blank stare from the wife.

Wife: I'm going to be home late tonight. I'll fix supper for the BOTH of us when I get home.

Me: OK.

Knowing supper is going to be late I eat a large meal for noon. When I get home from work the wife is home and cooking a early supper.

Wife: Why aren't you hungry? I went to all of this trouble you could at least eat more of it!

Me: Well you told me supper was going to be late so I ate a larger then normal noon meal. How about we just plan on eating at noon and 6 PM and if the other person isn't here we just go ahead and eat?

Last edited:
Ever since we have been married...if I am not home at noon or at 6 PM eat without me.

Wife: Why didn't you call to let me know you were going to be late?

Me: Because a phone isn't always available. If I am not home at noon or at 6 PM eat without me.

Wife: Children were hungry (reality wife was hungry).

Me: If I am not home at noon or at 6 PM eat without me.

Wife: I wish you would call.

Me: Ring. I'm going to be late.

Wife: How late?

Me: I don't know, a hour or two.

Wife: I'll wait until you get home to start supper.

Me: Since I will not be there at 6 PM, start without me.

Wife: No we will wait.

It is almost 6 PM. I put the lawn mower away, lock up the shed. Wash up and change out of my work clothes. I am in the kitchen at 6, nothing is on the table or on the stove?!?!

Wife: Oh! You are in. I didn't know when you would be coming in, I'll start supper.

Me: Noon and 6 PM Dear.

6 PM and no wife. Work was busy, I worked though lunch, I'm hungry. She hasn't called or text that she's going to be late. 6:30 and still no wife. 7 PM I fix supper for myself (cold meat sandwich) before heading back out to do household chores. 8 PM wife yells out the back door, I didn't hear her come home.

Wife: Suppers ready!

Me: I already ate.

Wife: Why didn't you tell me?

Me: I didn't know you was home and when you wasn't here at 7 I ate.

Wife: You could have waited.

Me: If I had known when you going to get home I could have. How about we just plan on eating at noon and 6 PM and if the other person isn't here we just go ahead and eat?

Wife: I'm going to home late tonight. I'll fix supper for the BOTH of us when I get home.

Me: OK.

Knowing supper is going to be late I eat a large meal for noon. When I get home from work the wife is home and cooking a early supper.

Wife: Why aren't you hungry? I went to all of this trouble you could at least eat more of it!

Me: Well you told me supper was going to be late so I ate a larger then normal noon meal. How about we just plan on eating at noon and 6 PM and if the other person isn't here we just go ahead and eat?

You are an amazingly patient man. Now that you have explained your wife's need for control because of her childhood experiences, it all makes sense. She is incredibly lucky to have you for her husband.

My Grandmother had meals ready at 6 AM, Noon and 6 PM.
You better be at the table with your hands and face washed and ready to eat or you had to wait for the next meal.
You better not try to sneak something from the kitchen in between meals.
A kid could get pretty hungry between supper and breakfast.
We all knew Grandpa was good for a snack when Grandma wasn't looking.:)
I can still remember Grandma telling us to "get up and get a little water on your face" because breakfast was about ready.

I suppose that's true in one way...and why I write to a friend, then erase it all and expect my friend to know me better because, after all, I have just laid everything out there; when actually, I didn't.
Quiet and deadly, no. Just quiet. But in my mind it is too noisy sometimes. Meditation would help, just being quiet, stopping the internal dialogue, would help.
What are we talking about?
:LOL:
I often write much longer posts here that no one ever sees. I write it all out, then look at how much of what I said is really necessary, and then delete. It does help me to process my thoughts, feelings and ideas and to be clearer. This is really more important if I have some emotion involved in the post.

I often write much longer posts here that no one ever sees. I write it all out, then look at how much of what I said is really necessary, and then delete. It does help me to process my thoughts, feelings and ideas and to be clearer. This is really more important if I have some emotion involved in the post.
I completely understand that, except the being clearer part. Confusion reigns here frequently (in my mind, then when I write). i don't really care what it sounds like/reads like.
Wait, yes I do. lol

I always wondered why, when I was a kid and got in trouble did my parents always ask "What were you thinking?" The answer was clearly "Duh, I wasn't I'm only 9yrs old..." But they seemed to want a serious answer.
I think 9 year olds are more into what they want when they want it and not thinking of any negative consequences.

Ex military, hate being late.
Will arrive 15 minutes early to hour early for doctor's appointments etc.

And there is a good chance if you're early they might get you in earlier which means the rest of the days "to do" will get done earlier or the extra time gained might make up for the "to do" that took longer then planned.

And there is a good chance if you're early they might get you in earlier which means the rest of the days "to do" will get done earlier or the extra time gained might make up for the "to do" that took longer then planned.
Yes, that has happened to me sometimes, but not always. I would still rather be early than running late.

Last edited:
I don't understand why everyone thinks Glenda was a good witch. She basically used Dorothy to eliminate all of her competition and kill off the other witches, Sent her off to meet a fake savior and then told Dorothy after all of that, that she had the power to go home all the time simply by clicking her ruby slipper heels together three times and saying " I want to go home" which she could have told her in the very beginning when the house fell on the witch of the West. Personally if I was Dorothy I would have punched Glenda in the throat at that point!

Why when I ask a simple "Yes" or "No" question, after a several minute response I still dodn't have an answer my question.
This is very common for Judge Judy. She is quick to let people know that they only need a simple yes or no. Of course, it is not the way we treat someone we care about!

I think 9 year olds are more into what they want when they want it and not thinking of any negative consequences.
So you're saying politicians are only 9 years old? That explains a heck of a lot, actually.

I don't understand the word changing from Oriental to Asian in this younger generation. If I say Oriental, I'm looked at like the most awful racist ever. What about Ramen's Oriental Noodles? What about Oriental Trading Company?
I don't understand how words change overnight and I didn't get the memo.

'Oriental' and 'Asian' aren't synonyms, though they were used that way for awhile a century or so ago. The Orient is east Asia. Asia is the whole continent east of the Urals, in some usages counting in the Indian sub-continent but usually not. The "younger generation" doesn't get much geography in school, maybe because it bores the teachers?

'Oriental' and 'Asian' aren't synonyms, though they were used that way for awhile a century or so ago. The Orient is east Asia. Asia is the whole continent east of the Urals, in some usages counting in the Indian sub-continent but usually not. The "younger generation" doesn't get much geography in school, maybe because it bores the teachers?
Not so much about it boring teachers as those politicians saying what is to be taught and what isn't. Geography in school really depends on the school system. I know my daughter did not get much American history in school. She has little idea about who all the former presidents were.

History! Way too much history is told by people with some kind of 'vested interest' in how it went.

My schooling in history started with Vermont history, then went on to world history and finally to American history. Seems to me now that it got progressively less accurate as it went.

History! Way too much history is told by people with some kind of 'vested interest' in how it went.

My schooling in history started with Vermont history, then went on to world history and finally to American history. Seems to me now that it got progressively less accurate as it went.
There is a whole bunch of what we are taught or told about history that is not accurate.

Latest posts

Back