Things we Don't Understand, please share!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice thing you did for the seniors, Mo.
I worked late, and came home to flowers, jewelry and champagne. Honestly didn't expect it. Husband has a hard time getting around.
I cooked a real nice dinner; we ate it late but that's ok.
I got him a card and his favorite dark chocolates. He shared.
Thank you.
The ladies blushed, the elderly gentlemen were gruff, but I didn't expect anything different from them.
I think all were please that anybody even thought of them at all.

@The Lazy L said in the Bomb Cyclone thread:
"When a particular "DANGER!" word is repeatedly missed used the Sheeple start to become complacent. So a different word (or invented) is used to get the flock stirred up." SO TRUE!

It made me realize that common language phrases we're used to using at face value have been taken out of context to mean other things.
I forget where I saw this, but apparently with the way the "kids" or young adults use other social media, they felt they needed to reassign, for instance, the words "meet up." I don't know if y'all know what I'm talking about. Its like code words for social behavior. These people would laugh if they heard me say to a female friend, "let's meet up;" suspicion if I said it to a male friend and horror if I said it to a family member.
I guess it happens in every generation.

@The Lazy L said in the Bomb Cyclone thread:
"When a particular "DANGER!" word is repeatedly missed used the Sheeple start to become complacent. So a different word (or invented) is used to get the flock stirred up." SO TRUE!

It made me realize that common language phrases we're used to using at face value have been taken out of context to mean other things.
I forget where I saw this, but apparently with the way the "kids" or young adults use other social media, they felt they needed to reassign, for instance, the words "meet up." I don't know if y'all know what I'm talking about. Its like code words for social behavior. These people would laugh if they heard me say to a female friend, "let's meet up;" suspicion if I said it to a male friend and horror if I said it to a family member.
I guess it happens in every generation.
The list of words that mean something completely different than they used to is long.
In the John Wayne movie "The Sands of Iwo Jima" one of the young Marines was killed and it showed his body laying there and he had a book in his pocket. The title of the book was "We were young and gay." Way different than what that means now.

Actually the word "queer" is still used in the gay community. It is "improper" for a straight person to use it with a derogatory emphasis.
A bit like the use of the "N" word for blacks. The black subculture uses it freely but won't normally accept it from a non-black.

I saw this posted in a prepper group. No matter what anyone says to her, nothing is going to change for this woman, IMHO. Not a thing. Respond and tell her anything, and tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, it will still be the same.

Anyone who writes posts like this wants to be helpless, imho. I NEVER wrote a post like this, but I am extremely independent. I am a researcher. I went online and researched and read blogs, forums, and everything about preparing. When I did and do ask questions, I think it is important to ask specific questions. This is not something that can be answered easily. If she hasn't gotten it yet, how can anyone give her the answer she needs? I don't think they can. And maybe it is my independent spirit that wants to push someone like this away, because she would drown me if I jumped in to save her from drowning.

"Alright, I read a few posts.. I'll out myself and be "that person" that half of you refer too..
I have no preparedness, I have no idea how too, I've often thought to myself I should prepare because one day, something's gonna happen and I'll wish I had..
But nothing ever happened and I just kept going without it.
Now in the midst of this I find myself without alot of things I need.
It's me, my 7yo and my 1yo baby. I've often thought about scenarios where I'd need to grab a bag and run.. I've never thought about scenarios I'd need to hold up in my house.
But I'm actually not prepared for either.
And this situation makes me want to prepare for both, because "next time" I might not have time.
So if anyone has any helpful advice on things I need to be doing, things I need to be gathering, for both situations.. I'd be grateful. It's not that I'm close minded, I was just blind. I'm trying not to be blind anymore.
So I'm like, the newest of new to this type of stuff. Open to advice."

Seems unlikely that she hasn't heard/read about several "how to" plans, or elements of them. Reads like mental inertia - something she has to break out of herself. You have it right, Weedy.
Helplessness is learned, I think, but independence is learned. Independence is learned at a point in human development. I believe that many women especially learn to be helpless as part of their persona and interactions with others. Isn't it part of the male ~ female dynamic? A helpless female gets helped by the able male. They are both happy. It would seem to me, she would be very happy if someone came along and did it for her. That is what I read into this, but maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Interesting and confusing at the same time is that she seems to act helpless but in the text, it was said she has herself and 2 kids. There is no mention of a man in her life so she must be really messed up if she hadn't yet learned the independent portion in lines with what Weedygarden mentioned.
The younger child is a 2y.o., so there probably was a 'man in her life' recently. Other than that surmise, we are not provided enough data. Personally, I don't want more data. If she needs cosseting, someone nearby will have to provide it.

"Alright, I read a few posts.. I'll out myself and be "that person" that half of you refer too..
I have no preparedness, I have no idea how too, I've often thought to myself I should prepare because one day, something's gonna happen and I'll wish I had..
But nothing ever happened and I just kept going without it.
Now in the midst of this I find myself without alot of things I need.
It's me, my 7yo and my 1yo baby. I've often thought about scenarios where I'd need to grab a bag and run.. I've never thought about scenarios I'd need to hold up in my house.
But I'm actually not prepared for either.
And this situation makes me want to prepare for both, because "next time" I might not have time.
So if anyone has any helpful advice on things I need to be doing, things I need to be gathering, for both situations.. I'd be grateful. It's not that I'm close minded, I was just blind. I'm trying not to be blind anymore.
So I'm like, the newest of new to this type of stuff. Open to advice."
This! How many people know to prep, but don't. They claim to be preppers, but they are not prepared for anything different than how their life is day to day currently.

One person wrote in a group, "I just freeze up at the idea of starting to stockpile food."

And how many people actually belong to preparedness or homesteading groups but do not do anything relative to homesteading or being prepared?

Last edited:
I have a few things that come up for me as things I don't understand. You all probably do as well.

First for me, is when people use the term "Merica." I wonder what the origin of this is? I always want to correct anyone who uses it. Isn't it disrespectful to use this? What is the deal, please and thank you?
It came from Obama, and from him, it was disrespectful.

Two things I don't understand, the concept of an omnipotent being not watching his creation.
Television. I just can't get my head around it.

Interesting topic

Things I don't understand: optimists! When so much bad stuff happens all around and in your own life, how can someone be an optimist?
I also don't understand people that want to impose their views on to others. Why? Mind your own business
Last thing, I don;t understand other women that actually enjoy shopping for clothes , shoes and handbags. I hate shopping , always have

"Things we Don't Understand, please share!"

Women.

The end.
I'll certainly drink to that, I get into trouble with DW half the time, not even knowing what I've done. I've even considered building myself a doghouse up hill on top of the 1,100 gallon cistern as a safehouse to go to, for contemplating what I've done to deserve to get yelled at.

I don't understand why we are allowing this great country to be destroyed????

I know this will open a can of worms, and further to your point, Pearl. I don't understand the utter hypocrisy of the Left. The current (expletive deleted) storm about Roe vs. Wade. "You can't tell me what to do with my body." No? But you can tell me what to do with my body (and millions of women) by forcing/mandating a vaccination?

This is going to end Democracy! No. That is a lie. It will encourage Democracy by allowing people to vote on the law as it should be. There were only 9 people who voted on this issue. It was never a law. It was a Supreme Court decision, and a bad one at that. Even Ruth Bader Ginsberg questioned it.

It is a never ending list, and the hypocrisy just gets worse.

Last edited:
I'll certainly drink to that, I get into trouble with DW half the time, not even knowing what I've done. I've even considered building myself a doghouse up hill on top of the 1,100 gallon cistern as a safehouse to go to, for contemplating what I've done to deserve to get yelled at.
Maybe you need a man cave! You could go hang out there until it all blows over. I heard that when my narcissistic grandmother would get into a rage, grandfather would leave and be gone for a while. I'm not sure if he went out to the barn, or over to his brother's who lived a few miles away, but long enough for her to cool down.

When I was a teenager and she would have a day where she was worse than ever (there were never good days in that house), I would pack up a suitcase and a lunch and head out for a few hours. I think the suitcase spoke to her about my needing and wanting to live somewhere else. I had places to go, 100 miles or more away, but I just never put that together. I could have called relatives to come get me, I just never thought of that. I can tell you that when I came back you could hear the sigh of relief and things were better, but not great, for a while after that.

This! How many people know to prep, but don't. They claim to be preppers, but they are not prepared for anything different than how their life is day to day currently.

One person wrote in a group, "I just freeze up at the idea of starting to stockpile food."

And how many people actually belong to preparedness or homesteading groups bud do not do anything relative to homesteading or being prepared?
Dunno, Weedy, but you can count me as one of them. I have a couple months supply of freeze-dried food, and some "defensive weapons", but nothing directly related to SHTF.

Dunno, Weedy, but you can count me as one of them. I have a couple months supply of freeze-dried food, and some "defensive weapons", but nothing directly related to SHTF.
I’m in a similar boat, though we did also stockpile a Mr Buddy heater and some canned butane in case we had an extended power outage during snowtime. There’s a lot to prepare for; I figure it’s best to start with the things that are most likely to happen.

most likely to happen:
You are going to get thirsty - store water - at least 1 gallon per day. how much? how long are you going to get thirsty?
You are going to get hungry - store food - three meals a day even if you only eat two - how much? see above.
You are going to get cold, wet and hot - store shelter start with clothes and a home
From there you can become pretty well prepared.

Actually the word "queer" is still used in the gay community. It is "improper" for a straight person to use it with a derogatory emphasis.
A bit like the use of the "N" word for blacks. The black subculture uses it freely but won't normally accept it from a non-black.
Its how you say it, put an ER at the end of "nigg" you said a racist thing, put an UH on the end it means my buddies or friend, I.E
"What up my Nigguh? be happs?" Is pretty much acceptable unless there is a really thin skinned person of that group or a woke-oid around. If they be trippin, just say:
It be the Man's fault, we all be brothuz, didn't mean nothin.
UGH. the original word was the Latin "Negro" or Necro, idiot inbred slave drivers mutated it, then it just got worse! can you believe any of this mush mouth garbage came from the same language!?
It's the man's fault.
NO REALLY!
After what they did to Trump in the last election, we should all realize our black friends were NOT crazy!
The man is REAL and he HATES us all!

And how many people actually belong to preparedness or homesteading groups bud do not do anything relative to homesteading or being prepared?
It never even occurred to me that someone would "freeze" at the idea of getting extra when they go to the grocery store. Maybe it's callous of me, but I really don't think not knowing how is a valid reason/excuse. What do you eat? Buy more than you need and put it in a cupboard - really? (Again, sorry. I know that doesn't sound very kind.) Also, so many videos and articles online. It is simply a choice of priorities.

It never even occurred to me that someone would "freeze" at the idea of getting extra when they go to the grocery store. Maybe it's callous of me, but I really don't think not knowing how is a valid reason/excuse. What do you eat? Buy more than you need and put it in a cupboard - really? (Again, sorry. I know that doesn't sound very kind.) Also, so many videos and articles online. It is simply a choice of priorities.
I watch the neighbors return home every day with 1 or 2 bags from the grocery store.

Ben

The only reason I could think of would be they known funds are limited and trying to stay on point. Been there done that. But even then I was looking to stretch what I had.

Latest posts

Back