Things we Don't Understand, please share!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My F150's oil dipstick is so far down in the engine compartment it is almost impossible to reach.
I have to get a step ladder to get to it.
My wife used to mow the lawn before I retired and she would never check the oil in the mower.
I would come home and it would be sitting in the yard dead.
I replaced the motor in that thing 3 times.
She does not mow the grass now and that makes both of us happier.
Backlash, My grandparents, who were my guardians, owned half a city block, 1/4 that we kept mowed and maintained. I spent a lot of time pushing a lawn mower around in the summer, and not once did anyone ever show me about the oil, how to check it, fill it or where the oil was. Those kinds of things were never shown to me, probably because I was a girl. There were a lot of things they wanted me to do, but had no patience to teach me how. It was always, "Go and ..." If I asked questions, I got yelled at. There was so much just trying to figure it out. Starting and pushing the mower, I could do mostly. Also, filling it up with gasoline.

Why is it when people clean the parking lot of snow and ice.
The just automatically put behind a small mound of snow.
Instead of where they normally put it.
This particular small mound of snow is my FIAT.
They'll be here tomorrow to dig my car out by hand.
Their home office was not amused when I sent pictures via text of what they did to my car.
I'll be out there while they dig me out.
Their home office person will be here too.
The place they were suppose to place the snow and ice, clear as bell.
Go figure.

I don't understand how you learn to drive a car, but not to check the oil? Checking the oil and knowing how to change a flat tire should be prerequisites to getting a driver's license.

Now you hit a sore point.

Newly weds. I showed the wife the engine gauges in my Fiat I had bought new before our wedding. She drove the Fiat to work and I drove a clunker. Sunday I fire up the Fiat and before I got out of the garage the Engine Temp needle was pegged in the red. No steam when I removed the radiator cap BECAUSE THERE WASN'T ANY COOLANT LEFT IN THE RADIATOR!!!! Water pump had failed, head on the engine was warped. Wife said she thought the engine was making strange noises the week before.

1979 I bought my last new car, a yellow VW. Came home one day and noticed white talcum powder covering the whole passenger side of the car. On closer inspection it wasn't talcum powder it was white PAINT! Not "green" soft paint that could be flicked of. Dry paint. I asked the wife about it and she had no idea what I was talking about. When I showed it to her, "Oh that? There was something white in the road the other day but she didn't know what it was." "If you didn't know what it was, why did you drive thought it??? We just lost a $$$$ on resell value!" Wife gives me her "blank" look.

Then there was the Buick hubcap pieces she handed to me in a sack. "What did you hit?" Nothing she was aware of. "Then how did you know to stop and pickup what was left of the hub cap?" Wife gives me her "blank" look. I went out in the garage to look at the rim. The RIM IS BENT! So bad that I'm surprised the tire is still holding air. How do you bend a car rim and claim not to know how it happened?

Van. Sunday we were half way to church when I notice the engine temp is slowing climbing pass normal. When asked the wife said the engine temp was normal the day before. After church I added a gallon of water, engine gasket blew to the passenger compartment heater. Wife had taken some girlfriends Saturday to the big city (about a 300 mile round trip). When I was backing the van into the garage wife asked me which gauge showed the engine temperature. I was stupid and asked,"If you don't know which gauge is for the engine temp how did you know it was normal yesterday?" Wife gives me her "blank" look.

I haven't listed everything. Every vehicle I have bought her...yes EVERY VEHICLE.

Then there is the 2 totaled cars, a front fender, two rear fenders, 2 rear bumpers, a trunk lid and a dent in the front she says you can't see and a partridge in a pear tree. Showing her the repair bills, offering to review the basics with her (again) and what can I do to help her...Wife gives me her "blank" look.

BUT I did figure out a way to keep my blood pressure from blowing and lower my costs for mechanical repairs and body repairs. I stop buying her vehicles! When she wrapped the last car I bought around a pole I told her I was done. If she wanted another car then she would have to pay for it and maintain it. She's had her Pontiac for 6 years. For the last 2 years she hasn't put any new dents in the body or required major mechanical repairs. This is a record for her! First few oil changes she went several thousand miles pass the "change" date but now rarely too many miles pass the date. You see when I was absorbing the repairs costs she didn't see the need to "change". Now that it's her money that being affected she saw a need to change. :D

The Lazy L, that is painful. I have seen a few relationships where each person has their own car and the other person does not drive it. I see neighbors who when they go in her car, she drives. When they go in his car, he drives. She never drives his, he never drives hers.

I am glad that you figured out how to help her learn how to take care of a car.

@The Lazy L I would have purchased her a bicycle :) . Yes being responsible for your own expenses certainly makes you more respect what you own for sure.
This must be why I have always been responsible for my own car. No one has bought or given me a car of any sort, ever. I have never owned a new car. I do good research when I buy my vehicles and almost always have a mechanic check it out before I seal the deal.

I am also not one who loans my car out to others. Others have asked to borrow my car. Nope. But I will give someone a ride if they need it. I have had a few people want to take a turn driving when we were on road trips. That is okay as long as I am present. People who do not have their own car for whatever reason do not get to drive and destroy mine.

Ever hear a car going down the street with the car making all kinds of noise, but the radio is turned up so loud that the driver could not hear it if they wanted to?

... each person has their own car and the other person does not drive it. ...

13 years ago I bought a used low mileage truck (still driving it today). Wife ask if I would let her drive it. I told her, "Not until I put the first dent in it." Once or twice a year she have an "emergency" and ask again. "Not until I put the first dent in it." Two years ago a dog ran out in front of me and took out the air dam under the bumper and the fog light. And yes, now on rare occasions I let her use my truck. Fully expecting the truck to be returned by a wrecker.

@MoBookworm1957 ouch. You didn't ask for remedies, so I'll commiserate and say I generally don't get those ever but I think it is because i try to keep my calcium levels decent as well as potassium and magnesium. I have read it is not good to mix supplements of potassium and magnesium by taking them at the same time, still not giving you advice, just stating what my experience has been. There are two different herbal teas I rely on for my calcium levels. You can P.M. for that info, if interested.

I have heard and read many times that legs cramps are from a magnesium and/or potassium deficiency. I don't eat bananas very often, but eating them regularly helps.
Causes and treatment for leg cramps
By Christian Nordqvist
Leg cramps, or charley horses, are a common problem that affect the feet, calves, and thigh muscles. They involve sudden, painful involuntary contractions of a leg muscle.
They often occur while a person is sleeping or resting. They can be gone in a few seconds, but the average duration is 9 minutes. They can leave tenderness in the muscle for up to 24 hours after.

In most cases the reason for leg cramps is never found, and they are considered harmless. Sometimes, however, they may be linked to an underlying disorder, such as diabetes or peripheral artery disease.

Fast facts on leg cramps
Here are some key points about leg cramps. More detail is in the main article.
  • Leg cramps most commonly affect the calf muscle.
  • They typically only last a few minutes, but the pain can last for 24 hours.
  • They are more common in older age and during pregnancy.
  • Most often, leg cramps are no cause for concern and have no medical significance.
  • Risk factors may include dehydration, some medications, flat feet, and alcohol abuse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foods which contain magnesium:
  • Green leafy vegetables (e.g. spinach and kale)
  • Fruit (figs, avocado, banana and raspberries)
  • Nuts and seeds.
  • Legumes (black beans, chickpeas and kidney beans)
  • Vegetables (peas, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, artichokes, asparagus, brussels sprouts)
  • Seafood (salmon, mackerel, tuna)

Why is it when you have cramp in one foot before night is over both feet will be cramp.
Pain is like Charley horse pain only in my feet.
This is because foot cramps are not left/right specific. Foot cramps are foot cramps, not left foot cramps. BTW if you sleep on your back, there may be an 'environmental' solution. . .

This is because foot cramps are not left/right specific. Foot cramps are foot cramps, not left foot cramps. BTW if you sleep on your back, there may be an 'environmental' solution. . .

My dad (a hardscrabble hill farmer much of his life)) was pretty much banged up by living by the time he got to his late 60s. Had to sleep on his back to be anywhere near comfortable. In winter, with blankets on the bed, their weight on his toes gave him foot cramps. Finally found a stand-off that held the blankets above his feet, and that eased his problem. I see the stand-offs, called blanket supports I think, are sold on Amazon now.

My dad (a hardscrabble hill farmer much of his life)) was pretty much banged up by living by the time he got to his late 60s. Had to sleep on his back to be anywhere near comfortable. In winter, with blankets on the bed, their weight on his toes gave him foot cramps. Finally found a stand-off that held the blankets above his feet, and that eased his problem. I see the stand-offs, called blanket supports I think, are sold on Amazon now.
Thank you for the information.

@MoBookworm1957 ouch. You didn't ask for remedies, so I'll commiserate and say I generally don't get those ever but I think it is because i try to keep my calcium levels decent as well as potassium and magnesium. I have read it is not good to mix supplements of potassium and magnesium by taking them at the same time, still not giving you advice, just stating what my experience has been. There are two different herbal teas I rely on for my calcium levels. You can P.M. for that info, if interested.
Thank you for the information.
My magnesium, calcium levels are good and level.
Have to watch my potassium level though due to borderline diabetic.

I go to the dark side in my thoughts, but I am not a vengeful person. I just think of how I could get even. I have never done anything deliberately to get even with anyone, at least that I can remember. Now, I may have had a knee jerk reaction and said something hurtful on the spot. I have done that. But I don't stew and connive and then do things. It really doesn't benefit anyone.

No it doesn't help you to store all that junk. I use to sit around and try to figure out to to kill SOS [RIP SOS] and not get caught. What a waste of time that was almost 50 year ago.
Now I get mad and get over quickly and try to understand instead of strongly dislike.
There are evil people like Hilary I don't like at all though. She is a cruel kind of bad.
I noticed on the other site we met on that your a true blue type and not much of a people pleaser, imo. :great::thumbs::heart:

Now you hit a sore point.

Newly weds. I showed the wife the engine gauges in my Fiat I had bought new before our wedding. She drove the Fiat to work and I drove a clunker. Sunday I fire up the Fiat and before I got out of the garage the Engine Temp needle was pegged in the red. No steam when I removed the radiator cap BECAUSE THERE WASN'T ANY COOLANT LEFT IN THE RADIATOR!!!! Water pump had failed, head on the engine was warped. Wife said she thought the engine was making strange noises the week before.

1979 I bought my last new car, a yellow VW. Came home one day and noticed white talcum powder covering the whole passenger side of the car. On closer inspection it wasn't talcum powder it was white PAINT! Not "green" soft paint that could be flicked of. Dry paint. I asked the wife about it and she had no idea what I was talking about. When I showed it to her, "Oh that? There was something white in the road the other day but she didn't know what it was." "If you didn't know what it was, why did you drive thought it??? We just lost a $$$$ on resell value!" Wife gives me her "blank" look.

Then there was the Buick hubcap pieces she handed to me in a sack. "What did you hit?" Nothing she was aware of. "Then how did you know to stop and pickup what was left of the hub cap?" Wife gives me her "blank" look. I went out in the garage to look at the rim. The RIM IS BENT! So bad that I'm surprised the tire is still holding air. How do you bend a car rim and claim not to know how it happened?

Van. Sunday we were half way to church when I notice the engine temp is slowing climbing pass normal. When asked the wife said the engine temp was normal the day before. After church I added a gallon of water, engine gasket blew to the passenger compartment heater. Wife had taken some girlfriends Saturday to the big city (about a 300 mile round trip). When I was backing the van into the garage wife asked me which gauge showed the engine temperature. I was stupid and asked,"If you don't know which gauge is for the engine temp how did you know it was normal yesterday?" Wife gives me her "blank" look.

I haven't listed everything. Every vehicle I have bought her...yes EVERY VEHICLE.

Then there is the 2 totaled cars, a front fender, two rear fenders, 2 rear bumpers, a trunk lid and a dent in the front she says you can't see and a partridge in a pear tree. Showing her the repair bills, offering to review the basics with her (again) and what can I do to help her...Wife gives me her "blank" look.

BUT I did figure out a way to keep my blood pressure from blowing and lower my costs for mechanical repairs and body repairs. I stop buying her vehicles! When she wrapped the last car I bought around a pole I told her I was done. If she wanted another car then she would have to pay for it and maintain it. She's had her Pontiac for 6 years. For the last 2 years she hasn't put any new dents in the body or required major mechanical repairs. This is a record for her! First few oil changes she went several thousand miles pass the "change" date but now rarely too many miles pass the date. You see when I was absorbing the repairs costs she didn't see the need to "change". Now that it's her money that being affected she saw a need to change. :D

Itis easy to spend other peoples money [ just ask any politician] so it worked her having to deal with the expense. :D
We use to drag race cars till it was no longer worth the rear ends and clutches.:eek:

I don't understand why the politicians think destroying the environment won't come back to hurt their own children. I'm not a tree hugger but do worry about all the dangers of the large corporate oligarchs schmucks making trillions off destructions.

Already made Florida water toxic. And for years been feeding us all poop from septic plus ruining ground water. Watch this and weep!!

Thats neat VThil, never heard of them.

Why is it someone volunteers you for something 6 months ago and forgets to tell you about it.
Yesterday my step uncle calls me to let me know what size Quilt Of Valor he wants.
He's calling to confirm the size, I had no clue what he was talking about.
He then proceeds to tell me my cousins(his step daughters) said I would make him a Quilt of Valor.
It would be no problem for me to whip that right on out.
Except that it is a problem.
The man is dying. The doctors told him 6 months ago.
He had 6 months to a year to live.
6 months have already passed, he still has no Quilt of Valor, he was wondering why not?
So I am sitting up at night, crocheting him his Quilt of Valor.
Because he wanted something as different as him.
My parents are talking to my cousins about volunteering me for stuff, and not telling me until after the fact.
His Quilt of Valor is crocheted instead of fabric.
He didn't want another fabric quilt.
It's my version of a Pineapple quilt block only in red,white and blue yarn in the Entreloc stitch.
Family you got to love them.
But if I get my hands on my two cousins before this is done, their might be bodily harm done to them.
Thank you for letting me rant.

Why is it someone volunteers you for something 6 months ago and forgets to tell you about it.
Yesterday my step uncle calls me to let me know what size Quilt Of Valor he wants.
He then proceeds to tell me my cousins(his step daughters) said I would make him a Quilt of Valor.
It would be no problem for me to whip that right on out.
Except that it is a problem.
The man is dying. The doctors told him 6 months ago.
He had 6 months to a year to live.
6 months have already passed, he still has no Quilt of Valor, he was wondering why not?
So I am sitting up at night, crocheting him his Quilt of Valor.
Because he wanted something as different as him.
My parents are talking to my cousins about volunteering me for stuff, and not telling me until after the fact.
His Quilt of Valor is crocheted instead of fabric.
He didn't want another fabric quilt.
It's my version of a Pineapple quilt block only in red,white and blue yarn in the Entreloc stitch.
Family you got to love them.
But if I get my hands on my two cousins before this is done, their might be bodily harm done to them.
Thank you for letting me rant.
This is a tough situation. You were volunteered to do something, but then not told about it, and he is about to die. For me, it would be best not to see those who volunteered you for a very long time, except, you might be going to a funeral soon, and see them there.

Families can really fail each other sometimes. Are we related?

This is a tough situation. You were volunteered to do something, but then not told about it, and he is about to die. For me, it would be best not to see those who volunteered you for a very long time, except, you might be going to a funeral soon, and see them there.

Families can really fail each other sometimes. Are we related?
Not that I know of Weedygarden, being related I mean.
I think most families are fractured in some ways.
At least his afghan works up pretty fast.
With luck maybe it will be done by Christmas.
As long as I am awake, I will be working on it.
So far today, I have drank 3 pots of coffee.
Which sounds like a lot, but normally I drink 2 pots of coffee.
Thank goodness, he doesn't want a queen size quilt.
Heck, I still haven't made a "Quilt of Valor" for myself yet.
Always put other people needs first.

He then proceeds to tell me my cousins(his step daughters) said I would make him a Quilt of Valor....

I'm so sorry Step Uncle I didn't volunteer. Perhaps you misunderstood and Cousin is making the quilt? Let me call Cousin and we'll get this straight out.

Hello Cousin. Step Uncle called me by mistake. Thought I was making a quilt for him and then mentioned your name. Can you tell me what is going on? Oh you thought I could make one for him? That is sweet that you thought that. Unfortunately with my recent surgeries, rehab and watching the little one I will not be able. I have some bits and ends of materiel that you could use to make the quilt. Just let me know when you are coming to pick them up and I'll have them ready for you. It will take me some time to answer the door bell so just be patient, I'll answer.

Hello Step Uncle. I called Cousin and we got it all straighten out. Cousin is making the quilt for you, I'm just providing Cousin with some of the material.

Pastor's wife came up to me and told me how many signs she needed, the wording and the date the signs needed to be completed for Vacation Bible School. Then she tried to hand me the sheet of paper she had just read the information from. I didn't take the paper and ask why she thought I was making the signs? I was told my wife had said I would. Since this wasn't the first time the wife has volunteered me and has put me "on the spot", I told Pastor's wife that I was sorry but she should have asked if I was willing direct. I wouldn't be making the signs and I didn't.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Step Uncle I didn't volunteer. Perhaps you misunderstood and Cousin is making the quilt? Let me call Cousin and we'll get this straight out.

Hello Cousin. Step Uncle called me by mistake. Thought I was making a quilt for him and then mentioned your name. Can you tell me what is going on? Oh you thought I could make one for him? That is sweet that you thought that. Unfortunately with my recent surgeries, rehab and watching the little one I will not be able. I have some bits and ends of materiel that you could use to make the quilt. Just let me know when you are coming to pick them up and I'll have them ready for you. It will take me some time to answer the door bell so just be patient, I'll answer.

Hello Step Uncle. I called Cousin and we got it all straighten out. Cousin is making the quilt for you, I'm just providing Cousin with some of the material.

Pastor's wife came up to me and told me how many signs she needed, the wording and the date the signs needed to be completed for Vacation Bible School. Then she tried to hand me the sheet of paper she had just read the information from. I didn't take the paper and ask why she thought I was making the signs? I was told my wife had said I would. Since this wasn't the first time the wife has volunteered me and has put me "on the spot", I told Pastor's wife that I was sorry but she should have asked if I was willing direct. I wouldn't be making the signs and I didn't.
Absolutely!

To assume makes an a** of u and me. When people do this, there is a communication problem and a problem around respect.

My grandparents would have a big dinner with lots of people and invite my mom, daughter-in-law. Mom was expected to do the dishes, and not one other person helped. My mom figured it out, that when they were invited for dinner, she would decline. It wasn't worth eating dinner and then doing dishes for a dozen people with no help. There were many problems like that in this family dynamic.

Back