This Date in Military History:

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Pleasure Mark...!!

" Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana { Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás } 1863-1952

When checking out of ospital yesterday I met a Gulf War Army Ranger, plus of course he had been in many othe conflicts besides . He had prostitic leg from combat and brain cancer :cry: from some chemicles they used over there.
I talked to him for ahile and tried not to be myself and talk too much. I told him to call hubby if he needed somebody to talk to,but he said his pastor is also Ranger and his brther is there,so felt good for that. They give you a flower when you check out so I gave him one too.

I hate war although nessaary saw far too many injured vets. You want to help but can't really,so I thanked him and tld him he is my hero. He smiled.

Last edited:
He is a great guy.
This is posted some where,but the search did not find it.

You could have hear a pin drop. Stories of military pride
When in England, at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush.

He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return
is enough to bury those that did not return."

You could have heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying, "Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intend to do, bomb them?"

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly, "Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they
have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does
France have?"

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English." He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, "Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...
Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on. "You have been to France before, monsieur" the customs officer asked arcastically. Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously. "Then you should know enough to have your passport ready." The American said, "'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it." "Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!" The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained," 'Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to."

Dean Rusk - President Kennedy's Secretary of State - was in France in the early 60's when President Charles DeGaulle made the decision to pull France out of NATO. President {Former General} DeGaulle said to Mr. Rusk he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible.

Mr. Rusk looked him straight in the eyes and responded, "Does that include those who are buried here as well?"

DeGaulle never responded to Dean Rusk.

Soon to be a day in history... Having served on destroyers they have a fond place in my heart.

“I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm’s way.” - John Paul Jones.

She looks fast and deadly!

Navy to commission new destroyer USS Delbert D. Black at Port Canaveral

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...ss-delbert-d-black-port-canaveral/5826185002/
Port Canaveral on Sept. 26 will host the commissioning of the U.S. Navy's newest guided-missile destroyer, the USS Delbert D. Black.

Following commissioning, the Delbert D. Black will be home-ported in Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville, with sister ships the USS The Sullivans, USS Lassen, USS Farragut, USS Thomas Hudner and USS Paul Ignatius.

Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Ingalls Shipbuilding division "delivered" the Arleigh Burke-class USS Delbert D. Black to the Navy in April, marking the official transfer of custody of the ship from the company to the Navy.

USS Black.png

22 Sept 1776: American hero Nathan Hale is hanged by British for spying during the American Revolution. He is probably most famous for his quote: "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

Hale.png

STATEMENTS & RELEASES
Presidential Message on the 245th Birthday of the United States Navy
NATIONAL SECURITY & DEFENSE

Issued on: October 13, 2020

As Commander in Chief, I send my sincere gratitude to our Nation’s sailors on the 245th birthday of the United States Navy. Today, we celebrate the Navy’s unmatched position as the world’s preeminent naval power, and I encourage all Americans to reflect on the heroism of our patriotic sailors and the countless sacrifices they have made for our country throughout our history.

In 1775, the Continental Congress formally established the Continental Navy. Since its inception, the Navy has grown from two armed vessels into the most effective seafaring force in the history of the world. From the earliest days of our Nation and throughout the many conflicts we have faced, the United States Navy has valiantly protected our homeland, brought justice to our enemies, and ensured that the passageways of the seas remain open and accessible to American commerce.

Over the last year, we have added state-of-the-art warships to our fleet, revitalized our personnel and assets to meet current threats, and deployed our Navy’s mighty power to help meet today’s challenges. In March, I sent two Navy Mercy-class hospital ships, the USNS Mercy and USNS Comfort, to the front lines of our battle with the coronavirus. The Navy’s medical teams on board displayed immense bravery in the face of this invisible enemy, and I commend them for their service and dedication. Their resolve and willingness to rapidly adapt to the challenges facing the American people and our homeland are testaments to all of our Nation’s sailors, who are forged by the sea and serve with honor, courage, and commitment every day.

Today, I wish a happy birthday to our Navy and join a grateful Nation in thanking every Sailor—past and present—for their hard work, sacrifice, and patriotism. May God bless you and keep watch over those in peril on the sea, and may God bless the United States of America.

I did post earlier, but I am ashamed I did not remember on my own. If you have never been to Pearl Harbor I would suggest putting it on your bucket list. It is a deeply moving experience that every American should undergo.

Never forget.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...-today-17-american-heroes-gave-lives-country/

Ten years ago today a group of American soldiers known as Extortion 17 gave their lives for this country.

Special Ops Magazine reported: On August 6th, 2011, a U.S. Boeing CH-47 Chinook military helicopter was shot down while transporting a quick reaction force attempting to reinforce an engaged unit of Army Rangers in Wardak province, west of Kabul, Afghanistan. With 38 people killed on board, it was the largest single-day loss of life in naval special warfare history and the largest single-day loss of life during the war in Afghanistan.

The events that unfolded that night are commonly referred to as Extortion 17, which is the call sign for the helicopter transporting the special operations personnel. It also became one of the most devastating death tolls of the U.S. Special Operations Forces in modern history…

…On August 6th, 2011, the helicopter was fired upon and shot down by a previously undetected group of Taliban fighters. The group fired 2-3 RPG rounds from a two-story building from a location some 220 meters south of the helicopter. The second round struck one of the three aft rotor blades of the helicopter destroying the aft rotor assembly. The helicopter crashed less than 5 seconds later, killing all 38 people on board. Some 30 seconds later one of the AH-64 Apache helicopters in the area reported: “Fallen Angel“.

The crash is referred to as Extortion 17 by the callsign of the CH-47 Chinook helicopter involved in the crash. The crash killed all 38 people on board — including 25 American special operations personnel, five United States Army National Guard and Army Reserve crewmen, seven Afghan commandos, and one Afghan interpreter — as well as a U.S. military working dog. It is considered the worst loss of American lives in a single incident in the Afghanistan campaign, surpassing Operation Red Wings in 2005...

Preparedness Notes for Wednesday — September 15, 2021
James Wesley Rawles September 15, 2021

On this day in 1944, the U.S. 1st Marine Division landed on the island of Peleliu, one of the Palau Islands in the Pacific, as part of a larger operation to provide support for Gen. Douglas MacArthur, who was preparing to invade the Philippines. Within one week of the invasion, the Marines lost 4,000 men. By the time it was all over, that number would surpass 9,000. The Japanese lost more than 13,000 men. Flamethrowers and bombs finally subdued the island for the Americans, but it all proved pointless. MacArthur invaded the Philippines without need of Army or Marine protection from either Peleliu or Morotai.

The Winter of Discontent

On September 26, 1777, British troops marched into Philadelphia and occupied the city. Their approach had forced the Second Continental Congress, meeting in the Pennsylvania State House (later called Independence Hall), to flee some days before. The Congress met briefly in Lancaster, and then convened at York, Pennsylvania until the British departed Philadelphia the following June.

Last edited:
The Winter of Discontent

On September 26, 1777, British troops marched into Philadelphia and occupied the city. Their approach had forced the Second Continental Congress, meeting in the Pennsylvania State House (later called Independence Hall), to flee some days before. The Congress met briefly in Lancaster, and then convened at York, Pennsylvania until the British departed Philadelphia the following June.
Not to be confused the winter of our discount tent.

Ben

Sorry, busy with cattle the other night and forgot to post this... The article has much more, worth a read.

Somehow I find this reminds me of today.

30Sept39

https://www.history.com/news/chamberlain-declares-peace-for-our-time-75-years-ago
For days, dread had blanketed London like a fog. Only a generation removed from the horrors of World War I, which had claimed nearly one million of its people, Britain was once again on the brink of armed conflict with Germany. Hitler, who had annexed Austria earlier in the year, had vowed to invade Czechoslovakia on October 1, 1938, to occupy the German-speaking Sudetenland region, a move toward the creation of a “greater Germany” that could potentially ignite another conflagration among the great European powers.

The clouds of war billowed in the British capital as the hours to the deadline dwindled. As Chamberlain mobilized the Royal Navy, Londoners, including the prime minister’s wife, prayed on bended knees inside Westminster Abbey. Workers covered the windows of government offices with sandbags and installed sirens in police stations to warn of approaching enemy bombers. By torchlight, they scarred the city’s pristine parks by digging miles of trenches to be used as air-raid shelters. A knot of traffic snarled the city as Londoners began an exodus. Hundreds of thousands who planned to stay in the city stood patiently in line for government-issued gas masks and air-raid handbooks. London Zoo officials even developed plans to station gun-toting men in front of cages to shoot the wild animals in case bombs broke open their cages and freed them...

...From a second-floor window, Chamberlain addressed the crowd and invoked Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli’s famous statement upon returning home from the Berlin Congress of 1878, “My good friends, this is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honor. I believe it is peace for our time.”

Chamberlin.jpg

5 Oct 1943

USS S-28 traveled through the Onekotan Strait in the northern Kurile Islands.

Germans completed their evacuation of Corsica, France.

Remy Van Lierde shot down a German Ju 88 heavy fighter (his fifth kill) and destroyed another aircraft on the ground.

Manila Bay was commissioned into service.

Submarine U-869 was launched.

Joseph Stilwell ordered Sun Liren to launch an offensive in northern Burma, but Sun hesitated.

Minesweeper USS Assail was transferred to the Soviet Union under the Lend-Lease Act.

Ensign Robert W. Duncan of US Navy Squadron VF-5 became the first F6F Hellcat fighter pilot to shoot down two Japanese Zero fighters in a single engagement.

-----------------------------------------------------

Submarine U-869 is one of the last great mysteries of sub warfare in WWII... It was found off the New Jersey coast by divers in 1991... a few aspects of the wreck are still a mystery.

The best records of the german submarine command show they thought it was lost in Feb 45 just off the coast of Morocco. So... why was it found off the coast of New Jersey 46years later?

This is a pretty good article..

https://monmouthtimeline.org/u-869/

Last edited:
Today in Naval History

October 7 2001 - Operation Enduring Freedom begins with carrier air strikes and ship and submarine Tomahawk strikes in Afghanistan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

October 7, 1943 – 98 captured Americans were executed on Wake Island on the orders of Rear Admiral Shigematsu Sakaibara as reprisal to a 5 Oct air raid.

On 5 October 1943, American naval aircraft from Lexington raided Wake. Two days later, fearing an imminent invasion, Japanese Rear Admiral Shigematsu Sakaibara ordered the execution of the 98 captive American civilian workers who had initially been kept to perform forced labor. They were taken to the northern end of the island, blindfolded and executed with a machine gun. One of the prisoners (whose name has never been discovered) escaped, apparently returning to the site to carve the message “98 US PW 5-10-43” on a large coral rock near where the victims had been hastily buried in a mass grave. The unknown American was recaptured, and Sakaibara personally beheaded him with a katana. The inscription on the rock can still be seen and is a Wake Island landmark.

After the war, Sakaibara and his subordinate, a lieutenant commander, were sentenced to death for the massacre of the 98 and for other war crimes. Several Japanese officers in American custody had committed suicide over the incident, leaving written statements that incriminated Sakaibara.
Sakaibara was hanged on 18 June 1947. Eventually, the subordinate’s sentence was commuted to life in prison. The murdered civilian POWs were reburied after the war in Honolulu’s National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, commonly known as Punchbowl Crater.

The US Naval Academy is 176 yrs old today...

From the USNA website...

"Through the efforts of the Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft, the Naval School was established without Congressional funding, at a 10-acre Army post named Fort Severn in Annapolis, Maryland, on October 10, 1845, with a class of 50 midshipmen and seven professors. The curriculum included mathematics and navigation, gunnery and steam, chemistry, English, natural philosophy, and French."

Today in 1877 Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer is buried at West Point in New York.

Oct 11, 1942
A cruiser-destroyer task force led by Rear Adm. Norman Scott intercepts a similar Japanese Navy unit. In the resulting Battle of Cape Esperance, the Japanese lose the heavy cruiser Furutaka and destroyer Fubuki, with two more destroyers sunk by American air attacks the next day. The destroyer Duncan (DD 485) is the only loss from Scott's Task Force 64. This victory is the U.S. Navy's first of the Guadalcanal Campaign

October 11, 1862 at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania – On October 11, a Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. JEB Stuart, arrived at the small town of Chambersburg. They quickly captured the town.

1540 – Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto’s forces destroy the fortified town of Mabila in present-day Alabama, killing Tuskaloosa. When Hernando de Soto had first met Tuskaloosa at his home village, and asked him for supplies, Tuskaloosa advised them to travel to another of his towns, known as Mabila, where supplies would be waiting. A native messenger was sent ahead to Mabila, but when Tuskaloosa and the first group of Spaniards arrived, Tuskaloosa simply asked them to leave. When a fight broke out between one soldier and a native, many hidden warriors emerged from houses and began shooting arrows. The Spaniards fled, leaving their possessions inside the fortress. The full conflict that resulted is called the Battle of Mabila.

1859U.S. Marines reach Harper’s Ferry, VA and assault the arsenal seized by John Brown and his followers. Colonel Robert E. Lee has Lieutenant JEB Stuart carry a note to Brown demanding his surrender. Brown refuses and closes and bars the doors of the Engine House. Stuart waves his hat up and down as a signal to begin the assault. The Marines attack the doors with sledgehammers, but to no effect. They find a heavy ladder and use that as a battering ram. In two blows, they create a small opening in the right hand door which is split, and they storm into the building. Lieutenant Israel Green, who leads the assault, attacks Brown with the dress sword he brought by mistake from Washington. The sword, which was never meant for combat, bends on Brown’s leather belt. Green grasps the sword by the ruined blade and hits Brown over the head with it, knocking him unconscious. The raid is over.

1862Morgan’s raiders captured federal garrison at Lexington, Ky. John Morgan and his cavalry surprised Union Major Seidel at Ashland and captured him and his command in broad daylight. After outfitting his command with new horses, colt revolvers and other captured goods, Morgan’s men burned the government stables and railroad depot before leaving Lexington.

1867 – United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million. Celebrated annually in the state as Alaska Day.

1898 – The American flag was raised in Puerto Rico shortly before Spain formally relinquished control of the island.

Back