This guy is a genius!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I wonder if it is single use? Does the insulation burn up and have to be replaced? Insulation is not something I would want to caary around. Dryer lint would probably work, or cotton balls and Vaseline. Great idea using the tea ball and alcohol.

Nothing new. Why not just use Sterno? Burning fiberglass is toxic. Cotton balls will work but won't last as long. In a survival setting, where are you going to find fiberglass insulation and denatured alcohol?

As a former wilderness survival guide, my opinion is anything that you cannot find in the wild where you are isn't a survival technique. These folks making all these survival videos are making money so more power to them, but ask yourself, is what they are teaching safe or even possible in a survival setting?

If interested in true survival, then imagine yourself with just a knife or maybe even without a knife.

Nothing new. Why not just use Sterno? Burning fiberglass is toxic. Cotton balls will work but won't last as long. In a survival setting, where are you going to find fiberglass insulation and denatured alcohol?

As a former wilderness survival guide, my opinion is anything that you cannot find in the wild where you are isn't a survival technique. These folks making all these survival videos are making money so more power to them, but ask yourself, is what they are teaching safe or even possible in a survival setting?

If interested in true survival, then imagine yourself with just a knife or maybe even without a knife.
Go to my thread "practice", I (try) to make knives out of stones!

Being able to do something with nothing is an admirable ability, having to because I was too dumb to collect resources at hand when I could is something other.

Psst Pearl
Get with me on flint knapping, I know a few things. :)

Carubou, you are right. There is also another point that should be told. A flame cannot burn on both sides of the mesh screen. It can burn on the outside or the inside but not both. You are lighting it on the outside so no flame can start to burn inside the tea ball. There is heat there and lint or cotton will char a bit but it won't burn because as soon as the alcohol is used up there is no more heat.
For "survival" use the fiberglass will last a very long time and if you can't find or make alcohol you need to learn how.

I'm a big burner of denatured alcohol, ethanol and hand sanitizer. I have a lot of it.

The guy did mention you can't see the flame in the daylight. That's 100% correct so be careful.

My setup for a small fire isn't as elaborate as what he did. I just use a tuna can, pour in some alcohol (about 1/2 full in the tuna can) and light it. It'll burn for 10-15 minutes. You can put some holes on the top sides of the can (I think I use 3/8" and 4 holes). Then I can set my small pot right on the can.

For bigger fires (like for a quick and easy fire pit or heating an area) I use an old cast iron pot like what's pictured below. Pour in some alcohol (I normally do about 1/2 gallon) and light it. Depending on how much alcohol is used, it'll burn for 30 minutes give-or-take.

As for it's heating capabilities, one room in my building is around 4000 cu/ft. With an initial temperature of 35 degrees, when I burn 1/2 gallon, it'll raise the temp to around 65 degrees in 30 minutes.

1664393823078.png

Is it OK to burn insulation?
Insulating materials may have an adverse health effect when they are handled or exposed to fire. Fires in insulation materials can result in the release of toxic gases and smoke, which can be fatal if present in sufficient quantities.
https://www.amfam.com/resources/articles/loss-control-resources/fire-hazards-of-insulation-materials

Glass and rock-wool do not "burn". Glass will melt and lose its insulation ability and rock wool will not melt until the temperature is way above those reached in a house fire. (it is made of basalt - lava) Rock-wool will not hold water either so it maintains its ability to insulate no matter what.
All of the foam and cellulose materials produce toxic or suffocating fumes.

I might note that if you are buying plain glass fibers such as in some commercial "fiberglass" wicks, they would be safe and not put off any fumes. Using house insulation has the addition of plastic and other toxic material added to the glass which even if it doesn't burn, just melt, will put off toxic fumes from the alcohol burning on it.

If you can make your own pure glass fibers and own alcohol efficiently, then I say go for it.

Last edited:
Glass and rock-wool do not "burn". Glass will melt and lose its insulation ability and rock wool will not melt until the temperature is way above those reached in a house fire. (it is made of basalt - lava) Rock-wool will not hold water either so it maintains its ability to insulate no matter what.
All of the foam and cellulose materials produce toxic or suffocating fumes.
Rockwool at lowes & home depot.
It is great stuff & will get you cheaper fire insurance in most states.
It is made in Mississippi, my manager worked in the plant & talked about melting rock & spinning it into wool.
Fiberglass "melts" the way steel wool does, it 's fibers are so small that a fire melts though them, but rock wool takes more heat.
Think of solid wood V. solid concrete in the same fire wood will burn faster.

Last edited:
OK, here's the idea, anyone familiar with a "trench lighter?" I'm thinking a big one, maybe pint sized that could be lit and snuffed again and again made of pipe fittings, crammed full of rock wool and soaked in whatever flammable is handy to start fires or in worst case scenario, use as light.

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Li...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207589266815&psc=1
Interesting, yes, Genius, nah. For 15 bucks you can get an alcohol stove. Or make a hobo stove with paraffin and cardboard and a can.

Last edited:
I can make the "fire tube" presuming it works for around 5$, less if I can find the pipe in my junk.

Good point. I just like to tinker with stuff.
sometimes blow it up to let the neighbors know I'm still over here.

Feeling is mutual. I'll bet you've dropped dry ice into rat holes before! LOL

Latest posts

Back