This Is Just A Test, Maybe?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So we had a little snow here and some of it was rather heavy, not to deep but heavy and tree branches and trees have been falling all over the place, thousand of people in the region are without power and our friends down the road, their daughter and SIL in Grants Pass don't have heat or cooking abilities, this will become a huge problem due to the PTB pushing people out of so called greenhouse gas fuels. We've been without power off and on for the past few days and have been running on our solar backup system, DW cooked a pot of bean soup on the slow cooker that only draws 200 watts, that didn't even put a dent in the battery storage, even with heavy fog and clouds the array was putting out 74+ volts and over 6 amps which was enough to run the inverter and put a small charge to the batteries. I was careful with what we had running because we didn't know how long we'd be without power, anyway just after our friends left to go home, last night, the power came back on. Next test, friends down the road call on the two-way radio, the phone system is dead, not even a line tone. What a blessing to have wood heat, propane cook stove and backup Volcano wood cook stove, it certainly pays to be prepared in many areas, it's sad to see so many others that don't have a clue. My DW and I were talking about long term power outages and we figure that a lot of people might not make it. One other thing, the elk showed up yesterday, the pics are out the window behind the computer.
DSC00016.JPG
DSC00020.JPG

I always think of situations like this as tests. Anytime I am stuck without something or have a problem due to a lack of something, it helps me to know another missing prep.

I do not have a generator. Today I was walking a couple dogs and walked past a truck with a generator running in the back. A generator and some gasoline could take care of many challenges in an emergency situation, such as a power outage due to a storm such as you are having there.

We're still without a phone and our Net-Ten cell phone doesn't work out here in the woods, but our friends down the road give us a call on the radio, it's amazing that more people around here don't have two ways, generally someone is always listening and if people have an emergency they could get help. So many are all electric in their homes anymore that it wouldn't surprise me that a lot of people just won't survive prolonged power outages, I remember hearing one time about a rescued hurricane person complaining that the food given to her was not heated, MRE's or something like that.

Latest posts

Back