Ticks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Tick season has begun here in N. Alabama. Today I found two tiny Lone Star ticks on me before they bit (Amblyomma americanum). I wasn't even in the woods, I picked them up just going to the chicken pen.

During spring I dose regularly with Usnea tincture because of ticks. It’s excellent for fighting Lyme and RMSF in very early stages. Dr. Stephan Buhner wrote an excellent book on fighting both these diseases. It’s listed here…

Herbal Medicine Books - Peanut recommends

He’s actually written 3 excellent books on bacterial and viral infections along with the book on healing Lyme.

Herb masters (4) sm.jpg
Herb masters (5).jpg

I had to look up Usnea. I have never heard of it. I am guessing it grows along I-95 in the trees? I always thought that was Spanish Moss! Lol what does it do for a tick bite?
I picked 2 ticks off a dog that was just walking in the yard. They too were just walking on the dog. But it is going to be a bad season for them i fear.

I had to look up Usnea. I have never heard of it. I am guessing it grows along I-95 in the trees? I always thought that was Spanish Moss! Lol what does it do for a tick bite?

What you see when driving may or may not be Spanish moss. I have no way of knowing. Usnea is a “lichen”. Spanish moss is not moss or a lichen. It is a flowering plant. Usnea and Spanish moss are not the same even though they sort of resemble each other. Usnea is an ancient medicine, the Chinese wrote about it 2400 years ago. Our own National Institute of Health (NIH) tested it about 12 years ago and found it effective against pneumonia (among other things).

Antidermatophytic Activity of the Fruticose Lichen Usnea orientalis

Usnea Acid as Multidrug Resistance (MDR) Reversing Agent against Human Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia K562/ADR Cells via an ROS Dependent Apoptosis

Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Potential, and HPLC Analysis of Stictic and Usnic Acids of Three Usnea Species from Uludag Mountain (Bursa, Turkey)

World wide there are 300 or so species of Usnea. All of them have one tell-tell trait, inside the tiny stems is an even smaller white cord. If you pull apart the stem of Usnea you will see the white cord. If you don’t see the cord what you are holding is something other than Usnea.

My book on Lyme gives an in-depth description of how Usnea combats Lyme and RMSF. My book is currently loaned out to my 3rd relative in the past 2 years to get Lyme. So, I can not directly quote the book to give you an adequate description.

I recommend this book for any prepper library. If you don’t want to buy the book this website is a good place to start.

http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/

A big one fell off one of the dogs a couple days ago, hubby had one on him but it was a little one so far already found about 4 ticks. Its foing to be a bad year for them ,imo.

When I lived back east ticks seemed to be the worst in the mid-to-late spring, and especially if it was a rainy one. They practically fell from the trees.
Since I moved to Texas, luckily haven't seen but one or two.

When I got those off me the other day my first thought... yep, probably going to be a spring full of ticks. Wet and mild weather gives them an early start.

When I lived back east ticks seemed to be the worst in the mid-to-late spring, and especially if it was a rainy one. They practically fell from the trees.
Since I moved to Texas, luckily haven't seen but one or two.

I've read ticks are only on plants up to 3 feet..:dunno: Hubby just pulled his 3nd tick this week off ,bit him twice before he knew it was there.Said he got it taking garbage to road.I think that first one was compliments of one of these porch dogs.:ghostly:

Back