Time Change: Fall Back on Sunday, November 3, 2019

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes, the day the government decided to screw up the calendar so businesses could stay open longer in the summer and make more money (under the guise of "it's for the farmers"). Daylight Savings is pointless and needs to go.

Thanks for the reminder though! I hate getting to church an hour early. ;)

I wish they would leave it as it is. I hate it getting dark an hour after I get in from work. Hard to get much done like that.
Tennessee congress passed a bill to do just that this past spring, but it has to be approved by the US congress to be implemented. And we all know they are too busy to vote on anything worthwhile right now.

I hate it.

0bab2c4aed461e75a1cd5cdc32d60392--grumpy-cat-cat-lady.jpg

Jim

Washington is one of the states to approve staying on DST. Been signed by the useless Governor. It can't go into effect until Congress gives their OK and they are too busy trying to trump up charges against Trump.
I hate the time change but my wife is absolutely rabid against it.
She hates it getting dark at 5:30.

Are my pets going to know to stay asleep an hour longer and not bug me to get up and feed them breakfast? Didn't think so....

I may not know to stay in bed an extra hour.

I am going to spend my extra hour laying in bed thinking about things instead of falling back to sleep like I want to. Then I will fall back to sleep and re-enter REM sleep just in time for the wife, a child, or a dog to wake me up again. Good times.

Are my pets going to know to stay asleep an hour longer and not bug me to get up and feed them breakfast? Didn't think so....
In one of the Rhodesian Ridgeback groups there was discussion about how hard it will be for the dogs to change their eating time. What? Why do they have to change their eating time? We never changed times and made Crosby wait an hour longer. Part of that would have given her stress and one of the things that I had read was that stress could add to her health problems. She would remind us when it was time for her to her eat and she would do it almost to the minute of the time. Why do people want to stress out their animals? Maybe not a big deal, but to ridgebacks, eating is a big deal.

I always told my dogs, while pointing at the clock that they would get fed when the big hand was on the 12 and the little hand was on the 6. They would always come to me at 6 for their food. I think they picked up on the positions of the hands - or I taught them to tell time. We would clean off the table and put uneaten scraps into their bowls and then put it on the floor for them.

I really don't care which one but they need to make up their freaking mind and pick one. I did think it was foolish here in Washington, the choices were DST or continue going back and forth. Real time wasn't even an option. We are early birds so like @backlash we'll be up at 3:30 tomorrow morning. Well, not really. I won't bother changing the clocks until tomorrow.

I don't believe we can make it better by changing the clock. We always have light from sun-up to sun-down. Changing the clock won't make the sun shine more or less. Just let the natural day reach noon when the sun is at it's highest in the sky and the rest all falls into place.

I am going to spend my extra hour laying in bed thinking about things instead of falling back to sleep like I want to. Then I will fall back to sleep and re-enter REM sleep just in time for the wife, a child, or a dog to wake me up again. Good times.
Enjoy it while you can. I used to be able to go back to sleep. Now I just get up because I know I will not go back to sleep.

My Dad always said the clock didn't matter. He worked from sun up to sun down.

I love it. Adds variety. Some people don't get riled up about anything! But this, this will get them every TIME!
HAHAHAAA
Plus, it keeps us from getting too cold too early. Haha, feeble haha.
On Twitter some guy named Simon Holland said "Having kids basically feels like waking up on the first morning of daylight savings time every day for 18 years."
Might I add, it is daylight saving time, not savings. We're not stashing anything away.
Every spring when my kids were...kids, they'd start preparing 6 weeks in advance for spring forward by staying up later. And in the fall they'd start going to bed earlier. Didn't seem to be anything I could do about it. Little nutcases.
Y'all need to figure out how to balance your time accounting.
:LOL:

We have a city ordinance that mandates all garbage cans be brought away from the curb within 48 hours of trash pick up, even though we have trash pick up 2x a week (Mon & Thurs in my neighborhood). So if you put the can down by the curb Monday morning so it can be picked up on Monday afternoon, it has to be back up by your house on Wednesday afternoon or you get a $50 fine. Even though on Thursday morning you have to push the can right back down to the curb. This is essentially a ridiculous and pointless ordnance. And even that makes more sense than daylight savings time which serves no purpose at all. Just another way for the gov't to intervene on our lives for no other reason that to remind us that they can.

My trash can has to be out by the road before the garbage truck gets here or it doesn't get picked up until the next Wednesday.
I can leave it by the road all week if I want to.
We don't have garbage nazis here, thank God.
I started setting all the clocks back this morning at 6:30 or 5:30 whichever you prefer.
The only one that's a pain is the mantel clock. I either have to move the hands ahead in 15-minute steps and wait for it to chime every time or just stop the spinning wheel for an hour. I stopped the movement and I hope I remember to start it in an hour.
I get to look forward to my wife gripping and complaining about it getting dark early. Like I can do anything about that.
She must think I am God because she also complains about the weather like she expects me to fix that too. :D

This day is dragging. I don't know why. I guess because I think its an hour later ( or is earlier?)than it is and I have a bit of medicine head going lol Whatever. Laundry still needs to be done and meals still have to cooked

My second youngest daughter came into the kitchen this morning, looked at the oven clock and said "Oh no! I woke up early! Ugh, I hate daylight savings!" then went right back to bed.
I wish I could do that. My sleep is determined by bladder capacity, and once I'm up, I'm up. Sometimes I get a short cat nap in the afternoon, but not today.

I just slept in and let the auto clocks on the phones make the change.
Half of mine auto-reset.
It will however take me weeks to reset my 'alarm-cat' that will climb on top of me and stomp me awake if I ignore her yelling at precisely one hour after daylight.o_O

Back