Time to learn everything you know about "HIP REPLACEMENT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Prefer firsthand knowledge.

Quality informative "links" also appreciated.

'BIONIC SOURDOUGH'...coming to a remote mtn top theater near you soon !

Last edited:
In life I have become accustomed to have "choices". There are zero options, the hip must be replaced.

'BIONIC SOURDOUGH'...coming to a remote mtn top theater near you soon !

I would ask about the anterior approach hip replacement, but you need a very experienced orthopedic surgeon. There are a couple very excellent ones in Anchorage and the Mat-Su who have excellent results using this new technology. Some information below. The second link is from an Alaskan provider, but I am linking for information purposes only and it is not necessarily a recommendation on any provider.

https://www.arthritis-health.com/su...es-and-disadvantages-anterior-hip-replacement
Joint Pain Relief Is Within Reach

In life I have become accustomed to have "choices". There are zero options, the hip must be replaced.
There is so much good news for you.:)
Decades ago, when people had a hip joint wear out, they received a life sentence in a wheelchair. When it goes bone-to-bone, you are done walking. :(
Not anymore!
Tremendous advances in the technology of the replacement parts have been made the last couple decades, they will now last a lifetime. The early ones would wear out before you did.
They have gotten much better at making the surgery not so 'major'. Some walk out the same day:
Mat-Su said:
Hip replacements have evolved in recent years thanks to new techniques and protocols that help make the procedure less invasive, when possible. Afterwards, patients generally begin walking the same day or next day after surgery. In some cases, for patients who are healthy enough, surgery can be completed as an outpatient procedure, which does not require an overnight stay in the hospital. Your doctor can help you determine if you might be a candidate for an outpatient hip replacement.
First hand knowledge:
Better sooner than later.
FIL waited years to get his changed out and had hobbled stiff-legged with a cane for so long, it was programmed into his brain, and the doctor couldn't change that even by showing him that his leg had a full range of motion.:( I did see him use it when he really wanted to, like climbing into a SUV.
Physical therapy afterwards is just as important as the surgery and it doesn't take that long.
They give you a list of exercises to do at home for a couple weeks.
FIL skipped his and just laid in the recliner.:mad:

Last edited:
My grandmother had hers replaced. It was in the 60's, so she was kept in the hospital for 3 weeks. Times have certainly changed. I don't know if she had physical therapy while at the hospital, but she didn't when she came home. She always used a cane and walked like Grandpa McCoy. You can see him walk at the end of this video clip.

Me dear departed mum had a hip replacement, best thing she could've done... Supervisor42 is correct, the technology behind joint replacement has vastly improved, even though I view the medical field & healthcare racket as going steadily downhill. Get the replacement done by a qualified doctor, not one of these ObamaCare quacks. My ma was SO happy to get her hip replaced, made a world of difference to her and let her putter round her garden for many more years. I wouldn't hesitate to get any joint replacement done today if I needed it, though I'd look into the doctor's qualifications. Try to find a doctor who specializes in joint replacement, or who at least has performed many such surgeries. Chronic pain sucks, don't put up with it any longer than necessary... just my $.02 on the topic. ;)

My wife has a friend since college, who as worn out a replacement hip 20years?), when they put the new one in she was told it was the last one, she would not live long enough to wore it out, no matter how long she lived, like 100 years old, it would still be working.
That was ten or twenty years ago.

Back